Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A Note To The Chairman [47] : Admission Prices

AFF

This is a difficult one.<p>The 'hardcore' home support is back down to 200/250. I know it's that time of the season. I know that we are playing a lot of games but we have to find ways to double that number next season. It's no good saying 'play winning football and we will have 600+ people in the ground'. I want to see us playing winning football with 1000 in the ground.<p>So how do we do it?<p>The recent 'free kids when accompanied by an adult' scheme was very successful with, I believe 63 free tickets collected at the first match. That's, say 50 new/casual adults. Very good. That sort of initiative has to be developed and expanded. And there are other ideas that can be tried.<p>The Supporters Club are working really hard, and achieving success, with the internal fund raising. If we double the gate, we sell double the amount of raffle tickets, double the amount of merchandise, double the number of programmes. Sell more beer [in the clubhouse, of course!]<p>Professional marketing was non-existent prior to The Resurrection. A number of fund raising projects fell into dis-use during the Harding years. I'm sure that Michele and her team have lots of good ideas for next season and they will be successful. The more people in the ground, the better is the atmosphere for the benefit of all, and there is the customer base.<p>Do casual spectators have a good time when they come to The Park? What is the quality of the entertainment? How many who have come once or twice in the last 8 weeks have gone home having had a 'good' afternoon/evening out? I assume that The Board are thinking about pre-match and half time entertainment. That's another issue for another day. <p>What is the difference between £7 and £8 admission? [Don't say £1]. On the face of it £250 or so each home game. If there is a public 'perception' that the cost of admission is tooo much, it's counter-productive. Good marketing and fund-raising ideas are wasted. With more people in the ground, we can raise that level of income from the increased customer base.<p>I'll pay £8 and so will the people on this board who are urging caution. We are existing Saints fans and we will probably buy season tickets anyway. Do we feel that the proposed prices will deter the newcomers that are desperately needed?<p>I'm beginning to think that they might.

I Spoke to people who used to play football on a Saturday so not attend CP, but came down for midweek games before their interest died. All were of the opinion that £7 was too much for the level of football and were not inclined to watch City at that cost. We will not attract them down by increasing the cost.<p>Canvey had the best team in the league but attendances were poor compared to the levels City achieved when doing well, they charge £8 to get in this year.<p>I have heard more than one group of visiting supporter moan about the cost of OAP / Junior admission. How much would it have cost a Father & 2 Kids for admission for 3 successive home games,

£51 if my maths is correct and a lot of money in 8 days.<p>Opinion appears to be firmly for family tickets and I would suggest keeping the £7 but reducing concessions.<p>Let the team increase attendances. Give them & the management bonuses for levels of attendance.

They are there to attract people to the Park after all.

You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you that I was a bookie not so long ago (hence not going to many Saturday games for a couple of years). The biggest bet I ever paid out was 16000 pounds, by the way. Took me half an hour to count. But anyway... <p>I think that the matter of a pound here or there matters considerably if the team isn't playing very well. It's an issue because we've been having to do two matches a week since February and the football isn't very good. We wouldn't hear so many complaints if we were top of the league. <p>I'm looking forward to hearing of schemes that get more people down to the Park. Certainly, no-one took too much interest in my "family discount bulk ticket" offer to join the firm...

I would like to repeat my plea (see earlier thread) for cheaper family rates. I have a wife and three kids to support, all of whom (kids not wife) love football. <p>I too was one of your much derided commuters. Honestly we are not a different species and in our past most have followed some football team or other. you just need that hook to catch them for your club - usually its the children. Every Dad loves to take his children to football and not many can now afford the traditional teams (Spurs Arsenal etc) and increasingly not St Albans City.<p>I choose to go to watch a lower division team it is far cheaper I cannot guarantee that I would watch St Albans if the prices were lower as I now follow the other team (home and away). I suppose this is one family that you have lost, but there are many others in the St Albans area. <p>Good Luck Mr Gibson

I'm not going to join the debate about what the current standard of football is worth but I do agree with Peter's comments about admission prices for youths. £8 for over 13's is too much. £3 or £4, and/or a family ticket for £12 for 1 adult & up to 2 kids should be on offer. Stevenage offer this; there is no way that a higher standard of football 10 miles away should be much cheaper - makes the club look silly.