Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Save Our Summer!

It all seems like a good idea now after the dissappointment of not qualifying for UEFA 08. However, I am against it because:

1) It is an insult to those countries who have made it to the finals. The footballing world should be focused on the finals and not a hastily put together tournament for four/five nations who failed in their attempts.

2) Does anyone really think that this will perk up the nation and get the St. Georges flags flying. I don't.

3) The new england manager should use next summer to get his squad together and work on tactics and formations prior to the commencement of World Cup qualification. Playing games against countries whose players we know and whose style is like the English style will do no good. We should be playing against continental sides who don't play such kick and rush football.

4) Such games will also be very fierce and competitive and, at the end of another long and hard season, could lead to injuries. This will then have a bad knock on effect for the start of the next footbal season and the World Cup qualifyers.

So, although when you think on this ideae emotionally it does become a good idea. When you think about all the implications and hw the time could be better spent, I say no.

The new manager might also like to spend some time working on passing (to each other) communications (talking to each other) and coaching the players to "shut up" about what they will do until they have done something

Ps how disgusting that not one senior player went to the young keeper and encouraged him to keep his head up after the first goal in fact every England player turned their back on the kid and walked back for the kick off.

I'm for it. I read earlier that the other three British nations and the Republic are going ahead with a Celtic Cup from March. If we get a move on, we could join them.

My only reservations are that (providing it starts in March), the tournament would consist of a league (playing eachother twice), but under 'friendly' rules, meaning more substitutions.

It would be a good test for us and it'd be interesting to see how we'd fair against the resurgent Scots and Irish.

I heard about the Celtic Cup as well and they are waiting on England to decide if they want in or not. I think a Summer tournament will be easier rather than playing during the domestic season. If it does happen in Feb/March-May the clubs may say, "You're not having our players for this" will it still hold the attention of people if it's full of Championship/Welsh League/etc players? And if many people switch off then I can't see it lasting.

Originally Posted By: Mr Happy
It all seems like a good idea now after the dissappointment of not qualifying for UEFA 08. However, I am against it because:

1) It is an insult to those countries who have made it to the finals. The footballing world should be focused on the finals and not a hastily put together tournament for four/five nations who failed in their attempts.

Thoroughly agree. Why in this country do we think the footballing world revolves around us and only us and we pay very little attention to anybody else? We were not good enough to make the finals so how about we show some respect to those who were good enough to get there?!!!

England play boring, unimaginative football and have done for years. I'd much rather watch the technical skill of the likes of the French, Holland, Spain even the Germans.
They are much more enjoyable to watch.

Wednesday was the last straw for me concerning England. I'll be watching the Euro Championships.

Originally Posted By: Muppetus_G
I heard about the Celtic Cup as well and they are waiting on England to decide if they want in or not. I think a Summer tournament will be easier rather than playing during the domestic season. If it does happen in Feb/March-May the clubs may say, "You're not having our players for this" will it still hold the attention of people if it's full of Championship/Welsh League/etc players? And if many people switch off then I can't see it lasting.

It would be played during the international window. Clubs would have to appeal to FIFA to stop their players playing, as technically the matches would be friendlies. 'Injuries' would probably be an occurance.

As for watching the Euro's regardless of whether we're there or not, I probably won't. I'm very rarely interested in any team other than my own. I may have watched Scotland or Ireland if they had made it, but I'll probably miss it all together now.

Originally Posted By: ken
i am looking forward to the Euros just as much now as i was when there was a chance we will be in it. i will watch every game and hopefully get over to see a few, Englandf not being in it has made very little difference to me

Cant quite understand that attitude! As England wont be there it will hold no interest for me.
As for participating in the Celtic Cup? Thats deffo a NO! We are NOT Celts.... and what could we learn from playing against the scots or welsh? Besides, can anyone imagine the reaction from north of the border if we lost any of the games? It was bad enough putting up with the scots ecstatic response to our failure to qualify......
Friendlies against better teams would probably be more productive.