Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Admission Prices/ Marketing

I see that one person now finds it amusing to use my name on the bulletin board and

does not have the decency to identify themselves. Whilst I do have a sense of humour, it does not goes as far as some prat

thinking he is clever at my expense. The newspaper wrote an article last week, based on the comments that I made on this website and believe me, I would be nothing short of furious if, I was misquoted because of an idiot who thinks that he is clever by misrepresenting me. I have tried occasionally to use this board to pass on information or to promote discussion with the supporters but if this is going to be the response, then perhaps it is time for me to sign off permanently.

My intention today, was to thank everyone for their comments regarding admission prices and possible marketing strategies. The comments will be taken into account when we have our first Board Meeting on the 2nd.

May. If anyone has anything else to say which is of genuine interest, then please be assured that the comments will be read.

I must go and do some work, needless to say though, I am not now in such a good mood.

John Gibson

This was my original message<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> Having read the comments on the website I realise I was now completely out of line banning alcohol inside the ground, and therefore urge everyone of you to bring some booze of some sort to the game with Sutton tonight. Cans of Strongbow are particularly welcome.

I also now realise that trying to stop swearing on the terraces was unrealistic and all I want is for you young lads to enjoy yourselves, so feel free to use as many "f" and "c" words as possible.<p>E. E. E.F.M.

YOU LADS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THE CITY<p>I'm off now to eat some coal.

<hr></blockquote><p>

Fairly obvious its a p*sstake I'd of thought.

Mr Chairman,<p>If you are really that bothered by people claiming to be you, why not register?<p>I'm sure Mark will be happy to ensure your name is available for registration, at a small fee. What does Webbo charge these days? Have to ask Canvey!

I'd like to add a comment about marketing/promoting the club around st albans - as i know that attendance needs boosting. However I do think there's a lot more the club could do to promote itself and be more welcoming to newcomers. We've been living in St Albans for about 6 years, but it's only in the last year or so that we've even noticed the club exists and in the last year that we've started coming regularly. The fixtures board outside the ground isn't the greatest advert for matches and i'm not sure if it's always been kept up to date, and i've never seen ads for the club or fixtures in the local papers or in pubs. On entering the ground signage is inadequate too, so we spent our first few games wondering where we could and couldn't go and where the bar was etc etc. Although people are OK when you ask, it isn't very helpful or encouraging for new supporters.

This isn't meant to be a criticism just that if it took us 5 years to get the courage to find the club, walk in and find the bar, it's hardly surprising that more people in the town don't attend. These may have been tried before but surely more posters in local pubs or shops who take out ads in the match day programme (I've only seen 1 of these so far), notices in the free papers and better signage outside and around the ground could go some way to encourage all the supposed football fans living in st albans who never go near clarence park, to start supporting their local team???

I think that the word we're looking for here is "ouch". A pretty stinging critique of our football club and it's marketing techniques, I'm sure you'll agree - made all the more stinging more the fact that, so far as I can see, every single word of it is true. I couldn't tell you what is currently being advertised on the board opposite The Crown, but I'd happily bet a pound to a penny that it's not up to date - if it is, it's the first time in months (if not years). <p>If any of you doubt me... walk up St Peter's Street, our main thoroughfare. Would you see any indication at all that St Albans even has a football club, let alone when they're playing and where they play? A lot of people round here don't read the local rags. A lot of them don't walk past the few shops that do carry City posters. These aren't sophisticated marketing techniques - these are the bare basics. If we can't get this sort of thing right, then, so far as I can see, we might as well all give up and head for Vicarage Road or Kenilworth Road.<p>I have to say that I hadn't considered the signposting inside the ground. Again, basic stuff. Having got these floating supporters into the ground, we need them to come back. Maybe stewarding will help, maybe it won't. New signposts would be a start. I'll be expecting noticeable changes by the start of next season - improvements in these areas would be relatively inexpensive and absolutely vital if St Albans City is to become more visible locally.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>but I'd happily bet a pound to penny that it's not up to date - if it is, it's the first time in months <hr></blockquote><p>Well you'd better get your pound out Trevor and while you're at it, a new pair of glasses. You might be interested to know that since the Xmas game against Bedford, I know for a fact that the Supporters' Club have taken responsibility for changing both fixture board notices on the Hatfield Road the morning after every home match. <p>Of course, if you fancied doing it instead, I'm sure they would welcome your help. In the meantime, do try and check things out before rushing headlong in and making these type of bald and factually inaccurate statements.

Hmmnn<p>I detect a slight aroma surrounding the message from 'Laura' and I'm not sure that it's Chanel No. 5.<p>Trev. Your style is recognisable, as ever! [i reminded you that your Mother told you never to bet! That's twice in a week. Well done to The Supporters Club chaps for taking responsibility for the Notice Boards on Hatfield Road since Christmas - the advertising of Slough Town for February 24th 2001 for 10 months was a trifle de-moralising last year.]<p>Trev. has a point concerning the absence of posters in the City Centre although it should be said that if you visit the High Streets of most Football League clubs, it would be unusual to see displays of forthcoming fixtures. I am in no doubt that that this should be a major initiative on our part, however, and, of course, it relies on volunteer/press-ganged labour.<p>The match-day programme is currently being printed by Buzz [strange that we never got the number of printing errors when he was Chairman.], and I imagine that Michele is considering the options for next season. The printer will presumably print posters, too. The arrangements necessary for the distribution and erection of posters will be addressed, then, no doubt.<p>Trev. Your opportunity to volunteer will come next season - no free entry to the ground though, you will get your reward in Heaven ultimately and the warm and fuzzy feeling here on Earth that comes with 'helping', for now. And you too, Laura.<p>Oh, by the way. In my view whoever falsely posted in the name of The Chairman on here, satire or not, was out of order.

Just to be a bit more positive, there has also been posters at the railway station advertsing the last few fixtures, just so we commuter types know what is going on.

One of the first things that should be realtively straight forward to pull off, is to get posters into the Pubs who actually appear as sponsers in the match programme. I quite often go to the Hare and Hounds in St Albans and I've never seen a fixture poster in there (unless there is one and I'm always too drunk to notice!). I would have thought the sponser pubs would be more than willing to stick a few SAFC posters up?<p>Ste :-)

I think the trouble with getting posters up in the City Centre is that a good many of the shops are part of national chains (not all I grant you) and there may be a lot of red tape involved. I fear you won't get too much of a response from cold calling. What about also trying to get them put up in some of the outlying districts as well, I haven't seen many in Harpenden or Wheathampstead. Only a thought.

Well i'm sorry as i only said the signs 'haven't always been up to date' as they have been a lot better lately - it's just that for me there's something missing between 'here's the football club' and 'come and watch us!'. I didn't meant to criticise the club, i love coming to watch the matches - i just think that more could be done to make the prospect of local football more inviting to all the people who don't come or don't even know that the club exists...! and to keep them coming back once they've got there.

Once, in an episode of "The Simpsons", Lisa Simpson remarked that playground gossip got it's facts right, but completely missed the point of the argument. Sometimes (often, actually), I think of that comment when I'm reading this messageboard. Well done to all in the supporters' club for keeping the board outside Clarence Park updated for the last few months. Please accept my apologies for this oversight. Having said that, I drink in The Crown before most matches, and The Crown is opposite Clarence Park. How did I not see this before? Am I unusually myopic? We might well assume that people who walk past there might not notice it either. I'm not in favour of huge neon signs and arrows saying "football club this way" (and I can well imagine what the residents of Clarence Road would say if it was made more visible), but that is also getting away from the point. <p>The point is this... I am, in the overall scheme of things, not far off being a "floating voter" (my life story has been posted on here before, and I can't be arsed to repeat it). I go to as many matches as I can manage, but not all of them. I may or may not be willing to help out with this sort of thing during the summer and next season. I don't expect free admission or any other fringe benefits, but I have a fairly packed schedule and I may not always be available to help with sort of thing. I am what they used to call a "supporter". I pay my money on the turnstile, I have a couple of pints in the bar and I have a go on the goal card. <p>I'm all in favour of constructive criticism - AFF points out to me things that I may not necessarily have thought of. He gives his opinion, and I give mine. A fair and reasonable exchange of views (not usually abusive). However, "Herbie Smith", an unregistered user I note (quelle surprise), is straight on here saying nothing more constructive than "you're wrong and if you're not happy with it, do it yourself". Nothing constructive there at all. Now, I know fully well that there is more that I can do to help this club - but I (and others) am under no obligation to do anything whatsoever. Messages like that make me less likely to volunteer to help than more likely. <p>Now, onto the more constructive points... the issue of whether national chains would help is a fuzzy one. When I worked for a national chain in the City Centre, I would have had no difficulty in getting posters for a local event put up in my shop. Let me know where the posters are, and I'll use my contacts. No promises, but I can at least ask. Pubs shouldn't be too difficult. <p>What does slightly worry me is that anybody who comes on here and criticise the way things are run is instantly either slated and/or dismissed as being yet another Lee Harding identity. Do you have access to information that I don't, AFF, or am I just not thinking laterally enough?

A couple of small points:<p>[a] I think you will find that very few, if any, of the pubs on that page of the programme have paid this season. I think Buzz's theory was that it is better to have a part full page of advertisers than a blank one.<p> As a shopping centre, St. Albans has an astonishingly high proportion of 'independent' retailers as opposed to major multiples.<p>[c] Just stop and think. There must be 40 or 50 fans who each have a contact at 6 potential locations. That's 250 or more posters. Once a month. It's not rocket science nor does it require a blueprint along the lines of the D-Day landings, 1944. The key is a bit of organisation. There wouldn't be any point in leaving a pile of posters in the clubhouse for casual helpers to take and 16 to be offered to The Blackberry Jacks, 8 to be taken to Salis Kebab Joint, etc, etc.<p>I'm sure that it will be sorted out for next season. Give it time.

Hi Trev.<p>You were doing yours at the same time as I was doing mine. Saints fans working in harmony..... without realising it.<p>[What do you mean " not usually abusive"? Never I hope.]<p>You have served to demonstrate my point. If you, me and a number of others talk to the 'Poster Erection, Executive In Charge Of', it should be straightforward to arrange and co-ordinate 250 or more posters in the right locations without duplication of effort, around the district.<p>No free entry to the ground, though. You may have realised that I am against that!

I can understand 'trevor' not noticing the Hatfield Road fixture board as it is positioned between the two entrances to the park and the only people likely to read it are those driving past and the occupants of the old people's flats opposite - not too many Saints fans there I suspect! I imagine there are all sorts of difficulties involved in moving it but it would get far more attention if it was placed on Clarence Road between Verdi's restaurant and the main entrance to the park.

Nice to see Peter continuing his personal vendetta against Lee ‘Buzz’ Harding, even after he’s passed away; sad really!<p>That said, it’s worth knowing that the ‘evil’ Buzz’s company - Queensway - are continuing to sponsor our Club’s matchday programme (do you all really believe we as a Club could afford a 32-page full colour programme on gates of 2-300?) as well as donating all our Club’s match posters, match tickets, etc. They have also continued to pay for our Secretary’s car and mobile phone. Cue: sticks & stones ...<p>Peter - Buzz has gone now. I think it’s time for you to accept that the people who matter in the City of St. Albans will never allow you to be chairman of our Club. Not everyone shares your vision of the future. Accept defeat gracefully and move on man. P.S. if you'd like to help out with the programme proofing, give the Club a call!<p>For the rest of you - John Gibson knows what he’s doing, give him time & your support, he will bring the success our great Club deserves.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> I think it’s time for you to accept that the people who matter in the City of St. Albans will never allow you to be chairman of our Club <hr></blockquote><p>Well, I for one would love to see Peter as Chairman of the club. And it would be great to have a member of the Firm on the board.

Great idea about getting a member of the Firm on The Board Colin. Can you set up a poll to see who would be the most popular choice of the Firm to make the step up ?