Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

When the referee simply isn't good enough

Merv

Guest MOB Snr

I agree, we always get on with people here at the Lane, the last time I saw any trouble was Aldershite.

Thats exactly why we do not want nutters like the guy pretending to be a Canvey fan on here spoiling our good name!

Ronin I am never wrong!!!!

Originally Posted By: The Great Eckscape
Calm down you two, talk about it at the next youth meeting!

Mob unless you know better i think The Great Eckscape has given you
a very good clue as to who you are arguing with.

As for never wrong....erm bigshock

Thought I would let you know that the Witham officials at Sudbury tonight were telling anyone who would listen what a bunch of animals your fans are and that we should segregate you when you come to the kingsmarsh and we should employ loads of stewards. A couple of us told them that we have always got on well with you, that we were looking forward to the annual "singfest" in the shed and that there will not be segregation when you come. They are seriously on the offensive though and trying to make out that everything was the Canvey fans fault. Every time I walked past a Witham official they had the ear of someone different. Not good.

Originally Posted By: sudburyroyal
Thought I would let you know that the Witham officials at Sudbury tonight were telling anyone who would listen what a bunch of animals your fans are and that we should segregate you when you come to the kingsmarsh and we should employ loads of stewards. A couple of us told them that we have always got on well with you, that we were looking forward to the annual "singfest" in the shed and that there will not be segregation when you come. They are seriously on the offensive though and trying to make out that everything was the Canvey fans fault. Every time I walked past a Witham official they had the ear of someone different. Not good.

With comments like that they may not have to worry too much about anyone turning up!!!!

Originally Posted By: sudburyroyal

I wonder how they would describe their own players then?

The Evening Echo Story. it seems like they have also got the story wrong and tried to sex it up a little

No arrests after abandoned game

POLICE have confirmed that no arrests were made at Saturday's Witham Town v Canvey Island football match, which was abandoned at half-time.

Visiting fans, angry that the referee had not red-carded a home player who had allegedly tried to headbutt a Canvey defender, were said to have been involved in angry exchanges with two home players at half-time.

The referee decided to halt the game at this point - the third Ryman League Division One North game to suffer this fate amid ugly scenes this season.

advertisement

Both clubs are expected to submit reports to the Football Association, who will likely launch their own inquiry, along with the referee.

Police, who were called at 4pm, arrived to find Canvey Island fans protesting with the Witham Town officials about the abandonment.

Police ensured that Canvey fans boarded coaches, while home followers remained on the club's grounds.

here is the e-mail of the sports editor Paul Alton

sports.echo@nqe.com

and here is the e-mail of the editor Martin McNeill

martin.mcneill@nqe.com

Looks like they got their info from the BBC!

As for the segregation comment made by the Witham official, surely they would've realised there was no trouble between fans during the interval whilst waiting for the announcement of the postponment? If they were that concerned the police would've been inside the ground handling everything at that point.

I wonder if the official at the Sudbury match, was the same guy in the black coat.

I have used the email adresses given above and sent the following email:

Dear Sirs,

I was present as a Canvey supporter at the Witham game and having been the Father of one two professional youth team players and one full time professional player I have coached youth teams for a period of fifteen years

During the final period of the first half the Witham no 10 attempted or succeeded in head butting the Canvey Centre back, the Canvey centre back fell to the floor and remained there unmoving.

Two Witham players being no 10 and a central defender attempted to pull the Canvey player to his feet and two or three Canvey players pushed them away and stood over and around their player on the floor, neither Witham nor Canvey players threw punches or anything more severe than a hand bags push.

The referee called his assistants to his side before issuing two yellow cards to Canvey players then a yellow card to a Witham defender and finally a yellow card to the Witham no 10.

The temperature of the Canvey support comment became hotter and louder and even now it is impossible to believe he issued a yellow card for a head butting offence

Within a few brief minutes the whistle was blown for half time and as the players left the pitch a couple of Canvey supporters gave the Witham no 10 verbal abuse as he moved down the caged walkway to the dressing rooms. The no 10 and one other Witham player attempted to climb the caged walk way to get at the Canvey support but were pulled back from doing so.

There was no physical confrontation between Canvey and Witham support and within minutes of the players several supporters from both sides collected at the player’s entrance and were discussing events in a most reasonable manner for an extended period of time as tittle tattle came from the referees room that the game was off, was on and this continued for circa thirty minutes.

Eventually we were told the game was off and within 10 minutes the Canvey support were on board the coach or cars and were leaving.

As the vehicles left a policeman arrived followed maybe 15 minutes later by two more officers and all three joined in the general conversation taking place, I remained as I was to collect one of the Canvey players.

As the Canvey coach and bus left the ground the Witham clubhouse was opened and my wife and I entered had a drink and genially discussed the events with Witham supporters.

I will not give opinions on the events above but if there should be a situation arise where I would be required to swear all above on to a legal document I would be quite happy so to do.

Regards

Ernie Davidson

All the Witham officials trying to dish the dirt had black coats. I was disgusted with the way that they were talking about you, but it is obvious that they are trying to push the blame in your direction to as many people as possible. The problem is...that if you tell the same lie to as many people as possible......eventually in time it becomes the truth (if you know what I mean !)

You might be pleased to know that the shed gave a rendition of "We love Canvey!" everytime the No 10 came anywhere near us!

A note from the Editor:

Sorry Ernie, you’re a nice guy and you write some very pithy comments on this discussion board from time to time, but on this occasion your journalistic skills are sadly wanting and you are well and truly ‘bottom of the class’.

Your article is far too factual, too mundane and does nothing to whet the appetite of our more excitable readers. You fail to raise any tension throughout your piece; where is the blood and gore? Do you seriously expect your readers to believe that NO punches were thrown at any time? Why are you playing down the savagery and aggression that readers will know to have been present?

For example, “There was no physical confrontation between Canvey and Witham support and within minutes of the players several supporters from both sides collected at the player’s entrance and were discussing events in a most reasonable manner…”

Would sound much better like this; “The physical confrontation between the Canvey and Witham supports quickly reached boiling point with taunts and jibes being exchange in the most frightening of exchanges. Within minutes, supporters from both sides had collected at the players entrance screeching and yelling obscenities…” See what I mean? A much better read.

“…within 10 minutes the Canvey support were on board the coach or cars and were leaving.” Not very exciting is it? What about; “After what seemed like an age, Canvey supporters were eventually manhandled onto their coach which they then proceeded to vandalise like a herd of wild animals, leaving their own driver in fear for his life.” Get my drift?

“As the vehicles left a policeman arrived followed maybe 15 minutes later by two more officers.” Little bit of licence allowed here. Just move the 15 for dramatic effect. “As the vehicles left 15 policemen arrived, followed a minute later by two more officers (with dogs).”

“…the Witham clubhouse was opened and my wife and I entered had a drink and genially discussed the events with Witham supporters.” Genially? Try, “My wife and I were forced to take refuge in the Witham clubhouse where, amidst upturned tables and treading gingerly over a floor strewn with broken glasses we were able to tend our wounds.”

Alright, my version may not be true, but your version is not going to sell any newspapers, is it.

Sorry mate! Must try harder.

Quality Merv.

All the Witham officials wearing black coats. Sounds like the Mafia!!

AFC Sudbury both home and away last season were excellent games, I'll look forward to our meetings this season. The thing I like about Sudbury is that they have like minded fans and are a club that can be compared to ourselves in many ways. They are passionate fans but not trouble makers, just the same as us at Canvey.

Merv, expect a job offer from Witham shortly!

Originally Posted By: The Great Eckscape
AFC Sudbury both home and away last season were excellent games, I'll look forward to our meetings this season. The thing I like about Sudbury is that they have like minded fans and are a club that can be compared to ourselves in many ways. They are passionate fans but not trouble makers, just the same as us at Canvey.

Looking forward to both games with Sudbury. Shame the game at Sudbury is on a Tuesday night but will have to try and have a quick pint at the King's Head and see if the penguins are still there!!!