Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Players responsibility

ukhammer

This concerns the worrying trend of certain players thinking that it is now ok for them to attempt to hit fans over the barriers.

We experienced it at Great Wakering with their Player Manager now we've had it at Witham. In my opinion there is NO EXCUSE at all for this. No matter WHAT the level of provocation from the fans. If the boot was on the other foot and the fans jumped the barrier to "exchange opinions" with the players there would be all hell to pay. Players MUST be accountable for their own actions and realise they have a responsiblity not to inflame situations. The fans pay their money to enter the ground and are entitled to voice their opinions.

What i saw at Witham today was deplorable. The witham players that were guilty of this should be banned for life. Their were kids in and around the trouble area and i too had my young 'un there. The beauty of non league football is that on the whole kids can go to a trouble free environment and feel close to the action, players and general atmosphere unlike the prima donna bullshit that is the premiership.

I shouldn't be looking over my shoulder for some jumped up idiot player leaping over the barrier and throwing his girly fists around because he feels aggrieved someone in the crowd may have questioned his parentage...GROW A THICKER SKIN or play football at a level where there are no paying spectators.

I don't know about the official reason but i think common sense played a part. Personally i think had the players come out for the second half it would have all kicked off again with the very 1st bad tackle.

Although i'm a Canvey fan and trying not to be bias, I must applaud our players for not stooping to the levels of the Witham lads. Even when Colin was prone on the floor the worst i saw was our lads quite rightly pushing the Witham players away from dragging Colin up by the neck. Even if they thought Colin was play acting it's not for them to decide....As anyone with any form of basic 1st aid knowledge knows you don't move someone until you are sure that action is not gonna cause further injury. God only knows what would have happened if Colin was suffering from something serious.....

Originally Posted By: ukhammer
This concerns the worrying trend of certain players thinking that it is now ok for them to attempt to hit fans over the barriers.

We experienced it at Great Wakering with their Player Manager now we've had it at Witham. In my opinion there is NO EXCUSE at all for this. No matter WHAT the level of provocation from the fans. If the boot was on the other foot and the fans jumped the barrier to "exchange opinions" with the players there would be all hell to pay. Players MUST be accountable for their own actions and realise they have a responsiblity not to inflame situations. The fans pay their money to enter the ground and are entitled to voice their opinions.

What i saw at Witham today was deplorable. The witham players that were guilty of this should be banned for life. Their were kids in and around the trouble area and i too had my young 'un there. The beauty of non league football is that on the whole kids can go to a trouble free environment and feel close to the action, players and general atmosphere unlike the prima donna bullshit that is the premiership.

I shouldn't be looking over my shoulder for some jumped up idiot player leaping over the barrier and throwing his girly fists around because he feels aggrieved someone in the crowd may have questioned his parentage...GROW A THICKER SKIN or play football at a level where there are no paying spectators.

Quite agree. In a perfect world, nobody would abuse players or referees but it happens the world over and has always happened. Can anybody who has attended a football match honestly say they've never shouted something a little bit critical to a player or a referee?

No matter the level of abuse, players and managers have a responsibility to act professionally and just ignore it. All hell would break loose if Stephen Gerrard or Arsene Wenger reacted badly to something a fan said and tried to lump somebody.

I don't agree with some of the abuse that goes on but if a player or manager doesn't like the abuse he has got from opposition fans then he should leave it to after the game.

Either report the individuals to the opposition club or have a word with his own club officials about reporting the opposition club to the FA not act like a thug and use his fists to solve the problem.

You are not going to stop fans expressing their opinions and sometimes unfortunately that can be in a foul mouthed way but players and management should learn to walk away from it and let other parties deal with this rather than making a bad situation worse.

I was guilty of generalising there. At times i think our fans(or maybe fans everywhere) can be guilty of overstepping the mark with their comments. And if they are that offensive then it should be the officials from the clubs involved that deal with it. But whatever happened to the old adage - sticks and stones and all that. I strongly believe that WHATEVER is said there is no justification for players behaving no better than a petulant hoodie in a pub who hits out coz he disagrees with what you said - innit!:)

Originally Posted By: ukhammer

Agreed, this is the third game in this league (a semi-pro league remember) to be called off this season. It does not matter how bad a ref is, if the ref is that poor that does not give players the right to take the law into thier own hands. When are some of these Chav type players and club officials we seem to be breeding in Essex going to grow up and behave.

What example are we showing to the kids.

Come on everyone, stop whinging, moaning, looking for retribution and grow up and save our game.

There is no excuse for the conduct of the Whitam player envolved in Saturday's incedent, he should be banned from football full stop!

The FA / Ryman league should make a rule that every club must have at least 5 fully trained Stewards that are able to deal with possible incedents that happen within the ground and especially the players tunnel.

At half time and full time during our home games stewards are placed around the tunnel and changing room entrance to ensure both sets of players and officials are safely lead into there respective dressing rooms.

Maybe if this setup was applied at all non league clubs these situations may not occur.

Just a thought..!

hi yes yes the no 10 will be playing 2morrow nite as no ban on him yet?i think he will be banned for sometime but the canvey supporters are looking to blame witham players when they cant control themselfs as it was 1 dirty canvey supporter who spat in the face of no 10 but no one has said a thing about that,that canvey supporter knows who he is and you are the scrum of the earth for doing that no wonder the no 10 tryed getting at you because if that had happened to me i think i would lose it too

this is the easiest thing to say to try to justify what the player did, we have had it at our home matches in the past being accused of racist remarks which was proven to be a total lie.

The player / players involved in the incident know they were wrong and should be made to pay for their actions.As for these news reports I hope somebody from the club is actually putting our side of the story so they get a balanced view not just the rantings from a chairman who was a disgrace to his club.

Hmmm....mickey mouse eh? new poster - only 3 posts? only on this topic? could he be the witham chairman making a desperate attempt at twisting the facts? I had a good a view as the great ekscape and i saw no spitting just thuggery from the player and the witham fan who fancied himself as a bouncer....