Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island FC in song

Oofph, NL trainspotting:

The destruction of Canvey Island FC in the 1953 floods is referenced on the utterly brilliant new album by the even more brilliant British Sea Power.

The LP's out in mid-Jan and the song "Canvey Island" has already had a fair amount of play on Mark Radcliffe's Radio 2 show. You could probably 'listen again'.

Here's the lead singer speaking:

Quote:
I guess the exception would be "Canvey Island" about a great flood that happened in the 1950s.

Yan: But again that song talks about similarities to things that are happening more and more nowadays. I guess with that story I found it quite funny. There was a flood, people died and whatever, and they interviewed a survivor and he was quite sad about a friend being lost but he was equally sad that his football team's ground had been ruined. It meant as much to him...all of the team's archives went missing as well.

How's life out of the conference? What sort of attendances are you getting?

OK, we're having fun!!!

Getting just under 300 at the moment. Our average was about 375 last season.

Still in the Trophy so hopefully may get to play York if we can pull off a shock and beat Stortford (assuming that is, that the ycfc stands for York City!!)

It's when he says 'people died and whatever'.

Sorry but does anyone else find that ignorant and disrespectful?

This wouldn't happen to be one of these really bad, samey Indie bands that are like the plague just churning out the same old really badly written tunes times and time again, are they? More concerned about image and being controversial and sh*t like that today than the actual music.

British Sea Power I'll have you know are a very good band.

What music are you into then chalky boy? I'm interested.

Indie music is 1) not associated with chavs - I believe garbage like hip-hop, rap and r&b promote this culture in our country, and 2) not liked in others countries such as the US because on the most part their taste is sh*t!! i.e. why those such as James Blunt, Robbie Williams and Nickleback make it big!! mad

Indie music has no substance nowadays. Where it used to be about the lyrics and style, its now just about style and fashion and how the other one looks with everyone wearing stuff like skinny jeans etc.

Ten years ago, i was a huge indie music fan. I loved Oasis and Blur as well as Super Furry Animals, Ocean Colur Scene, Stone Roses, Charlatans, Pulp. All these bands had something to say and yeah, style was a big part of it but the music came first, whereas its pretty poor today when you compare now and then. It related to unemployment, being skint, living in poverty, being in love even, but having to deal with the above along with it. And most of all, the songs would always be different. They would never be samey and the bands always seemed like they didn't want to get stuck with that.

Now we have absolutely loads of samey bands who all look alike and sing the same stuff. I'm not ignorant in my judgement. I have listened to everything over the years and will always listen to something a couple of times before i make up my mind.

There is nothing that relates to any importance in these songs anymore apart from some great standout Indie bands like Razorlight (except for the skinny jeans which are not comfortable whatever anyone says), The Editors, Athlete or Hard-Fi for example.

But we have the The Kooks who ten years ago you would turn off because it sounded like a countryside band who would appear on Radio 2 but now everyone thinks is great coz its cool to follow the trend, The View, Pigeon Detectives, Kate bleeding Nash (oh my god, how crap is she? She sounds like someone drugged her and then just plonked her out on stage with a piano and let her ramble while heavily under the influence!), Kaiser Chiefs who actually DO fit perfectly into the chav element and they are one of the so called leading lights in Indie music at the moment.

Although i like the Artic Monkeys in moderation and i think the lyrics are great and what i was hoping for from a band in the above comments, they have a large chav following, especially in the North where they come from and are not really musically gifted in terms of playing music.

There is nothing that says Indie anymore in the music. Indie is supposed to mean Independent, in music and in thought. There is nothing Independent in following a trend, which is how these bands that are coming out are appearing now. I honestly think if you strapped half the followers down and forced them to tell the truth if their lives depended on it, they would turn round and say that they only listen to half the sh*t they hear because someone else does and then were following them, which happens a lot over the years anyway, just not on the scale i have seen over the last couple of years.

What happened to being influenced by bands like Oasis, Blur and Pulp as well as Joy Division. They all had something better to say in their songs rather than 'What's that coming over the hill, is it a Monster? or 'I use mouthwash, Sometimes I floss, I got a family and I drink lots of tea' Or Kaiser Chiefs who shout 'Woooooooooooaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh' a lot to cover up their lack of writing ability.

As for the music i like, i like loads of different music and am not pinned down by any music style. I really like Hadouken and The Editors at the moment and love Sigur Ros as well as bands like the Foo Fighters or Massive Attack and i'm loving the new Queens of the Stone Age album with its dirty southern rock feel at the moment which is not heavy but is soulful. I also like stuff from as far back as the 60's and some of the funky Electro dance music.

But Indie music has really pis*ed me off over the last few years because its just not good anymore. Not like it used to be. Its too lazy and more about image than anything else.

And the US is not important. You are right. But there is always Europe and Asia who love English music and bands. But Indie music doesn't reach them like it used to. Oasis are huge in Japan and Blur had a large following all over Europe. None of these Indie bands apart from Razorlight are being noticed elsewhere in places like that.

Kasabian have something about them. They have the tunes and they have the attitude but have to admit I crave the days of the mid nineties when Indie music had its' heyday.

Those were the days!!!

Add Led Zeppelin to that list as well plus ELO. Must have been great during the 60s and 70s listening to those bands.