Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Gulls Vs Arlesey

Matt H

...Or Arseley as it was spelt on the poster outside the Oysterfleet yesterday.

I think today is gonna be one hell of a tough cookie with no Colin, Dobbo or Kreyling to sure up the back. Ricky back in contention, but I don't know whether I would want to risk his injury flaring up, same with Danny Curran.

Remembering Arlesey were a very physical side last season, we need to keep focus on how we want to play football and use strength as well as skill everywhere on the field.

Going along with the fact that Danny and Ricky might not play, I'd go with:

------------ Capleton --------------

-- Crow - West - Stuart - Bourne ---

Gordon - Roberts - Edgar - Fanibuyan

---------- Rugg - J. Curran --------

Blewer, Reade, Luck, D. Curran & Wiseman on the bench.

Guest MOB Snr

The performance was a bit dissapointing, we could and should have got more out of this game, we never really asserted ourseves when we could have.

In the first half it was all about the wind and it looked like our game plan was to contain them while we had the wind in our face and kill the game until the second half when we could use the wind to our favour. It did not happen, I think we done really well to contain the game in the first half, but in the second I felt we were not adventurous enough we never used Chris down the wing but slid him into a defensive role. This let them come at us to often.

I dont know if it's just me but we always seem to play better when the right back is worrying about Chrissy running past him, still a great goal from Jay and Ruggy's cross was nice so not a bad way to spend a winter afternoon, better than getting dragged around the shops anyway.

We seemed to do just enough, when they scored we upped our game, I always felt if we pressed we would win, we seemed to be prepared to settle for a point. I suppose it was the right way to play on a day like today as being too bold with our injuries and the wind could have cost us all 3 points.

Considering the weather conditions and opposition who like us are on a fine run of form, I'm not too unhappy with a draw.

Didn't think at times we really asserted ourselves on the game but this was probably a match that two or three months ago we would have lost.

Good to see Jay Curran returning to scoring form and looked really sharp today. Two well taken goals.

Thought Gab had a decent game. Great save by Ricky near the end. Apart from his kicking, had a really good game. Made a fine stop in the first half.

Seven league matches unbeaten and we're still handily placed with games in hand. Most of the teams above us won today but still very tight at the top.

Seen on the Waltham Forest forum.

" the sudbury fans reminded me of canveys, not much of a brain between them, if all they have to worry about is paying an extra quid I feel sorry for them "

They moan about having no crowd ...... and then when one does turn up, they slag us all off.

They put it up for £9 for Dartford. It's a terrible way to operate. They majority of us boycotted their clubhouse last year and I'm sure will do again next season.

They did the same with Hornchurch last season. Obviously don't like a few noisy supporters turning up and ruining their peaceful afternoon!!

Match report from the Arlesey website

CANVEY ISLAND 2-2 ARLESEY TOWN

SATURDAY DECEMBER 8th RYMAN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE (NORTH)

Despite the difficult conditions, excellent work by the Canvey Island groundsman enabled the game to go ahead, so that the difficult journey that Arlesey made to the Thames Estuary was not in vain.

Following last Tuesdays League Cup defeat against Edgware Manager Danny Honeyball made six changes mainly in defense, Luke Howard, Paul Bloss, Dean Gilbert & Andy Reed were not in the starting line-up.

Making their debuts were new keeper Jake Whincup & Ryan Oliva, with James Dillnut making a return from St Neots.

Howard who errors made it difficult for Arlesey in the League Cup could consider himself unfortunate for it was the first match in fifteen outings this season he had finished on the losing side.

The contest was a credit to both sides, twice Arlesey held the lead but as often is the case could not hold on, but they extended their unbeaten run in the League to nine games, since they lost at Wingate & Finchley on the 16th October.

With the wind & rain at their backs the visitors dominated the early play & took the lead in the 29TH minute when ASHLEY TOWNSEND headed in a Paul Barnes cross.

Further chances fell to Arlesey, Towsend hesitated in a one on one with home keeper Wiseman who managed to push the ball wide & then Kaan Fehmi brought out a fine stop from the home keeper from a free-kick.

Then on the stroke of half time a left –wing move ended with CURRAN heading past Whincup for the equalizer.

Arlesey were more than holding their own against the elements in the second half, Dean Gilbert came on for Ross Edwards & in the 72nd minute & cross from Ieuan Lewis was converted by KAAN FEHMI.

Seven minutes later Canvey tied the game up CURRAN again applied the finish with a header from a cross by Fannibujan.

Arlesey could have taken maximum points but Townsend lacked composure from another opportunity & Fehmi was again denied by the home keeper from a free kick.

This was a good result for the visitors against highly fancied opposition, with a line up that had not played together

Originally Posted By: YELLOW
They did the same with Hornchurch last season. Obviously don't like a few noisy supporters turning up and ruining their peaceful afternoon!!

I don't understand some of these teams. I feel like saying, have you never been to a football match where people actually turned up? Blimey, if you want to be a church team, sod off and be one.