Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bishop's Stortford v Canvey Island

Originally Posted By: cantos
Very Ouch

I will keep out of their way when thet get back.

I had a tenner on your boys to beat ricay today so that offset the money I lost betting on a Canvey win today. grin

THUMP!

A terrible defensive display, they seemed to score every time they went forward. Colin Wall back Saturday, Kreyling played his first half match for ages, and a new defender should sign in the next couple of weeks.

The Trophy dream is over is catastrophic fashion, so it's back to the bread and butter.

Well done to our support, superb!

Defence was awful today but at least we kept battling. Injuries really have taken their toll and Stortford had so much pace and skill to expose our makeshift backline.

Done superbly to get this far so let's get back to concentrating on the league and a real push for promotion.

It wasn't nearly as bad as the scoreline suggests. Well done to Stortford for making every chance count, but it shouldn't have been that easy.

Forget the defence, because we were useless there. Beyond useless, in fact. Going forward though, we were pretty good. We created chances, but we could never find a finishing touch. The only really good chances we had were aimed softly at the 'keeper.

I'm very disappointed, but I think we've played worse this season (overall. The defence was clearly at it's worst yesterday), but lost by a lesser margin.

Good to see Kreyling back. smile

The term "afford" is relevant in two ways. It isn't as easy as to just bring someone in when your working to a budget, and with home attendances down on last season (despite a 9 game undefeated run) it is a struggle.

Originally Posted By: The Great Eckscape
The term "afford" is relevant in two ways. It isn't as easy as to just bring someone in when your working to a budget, and with home attendances down on last season (despite a 9 game undefeated run) it is a struggle.

I understand about being restrained by a budget and it must be a very difficult task but unless our performances pick up the attendance figures are not likely to increase.

In an ideal world i`d like to keep the squad we have and add to it but if we don`t have the money perhaps we need to release a player (or two) so we can bring a quality central defender in.

Forget the defence, bar Crow they're coming back to fitness. We need central midfield 'General' who actually gives a [****!!****], doesn't lose the ball with some half-hearted pass and has the balls to go into a challenge, determined to come out on top.

I really felt for our defence yesterday. The experience, skill fitness, know-how and stamina really seperated them from us, but when we did play, especially in the first half our defence did soak up much pressure.

George did ok seeing as it was only his first start, which showed as the partnership between him and Westy didn't seem connected. Jon Stuart did well, but seemed to tire quickly and Bourne did what he could.

I would've taken a 4-0 defeat given the number of positions between the two teams, but I was really disappointed with eight after seeing us put ourselves under so much un-necessary pressure from being so sloppy in the middle. Thankfully with Colin back from suspension and Kreyling playing his first 45 minutes, with a little re-shuffle we can put Fanibuyan back in the centre to really battle for those 50/50 balls.

In an ideal world I would hope some of our prize money would be released to add one or two players to the squad, (that is all we really need one or two, not a whole new outfit). But I understand it is being used to make up the shortfalls in our attendance figures. As a result, I would say we need to free up cash from the playing staff to aquire the individuals so badly needed. Perhaps looking at who earns the most money in conjunction with what positions need filling...

Agreed and I'm all for adding to the squad. But at the moment I don't think an extra body at the back should be our main priority unless someone from the defence, ie Kreyling or Stuart are pushed upfield.

I did like the comment from BBC Essex after the game that no-one from Canvey was going to be giving an interview...

Too right! They're willing to cover us when we get tonked 8-0, but when we beat Maidstone they didn't even give our result out in the classifieds. In fact I think it's the only time we've been mentioned all season whilst I've been travelling back from an away game.

They called soon after full time and asked to interview Batchy, but he declined. They wouldn't have gotten much sense out of him, he was fuming!

As you say Matt, they have given us no positive coverage all season.