Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Boxing day

Mini Goose

I can't comment on the Dartford game as I was not present but what I can say from the games I have seen is that we need at least three players to take us up a level worthy of a title challenge.

1 - A good solid, ball-winning midfield general. I know Dobbo can do it, but I haven't heard anything about how his rehab is coming along. Dobbo is the man for the job, but at the moment we don't have him. Looking at a loan option would probably the best bet here.

2 - A pacy full-back. I think our centre-halves are fine be it Colin, Kreyling, Westy or Jesus. However, our defence gets undone whenever attackers attempt to cut inside. I like George Blewer and Bourney gives his all, but George looks unfit due to his lack of games and Bourney can get caught out of position if he's attacking. If the opposition attacker can be stopped at first point of contact then the centre halves could keep track of the men running in support and the defensive midfielder could clean up and start a counter attack.

3 - Another Fanibuyan. I really rate him and love how he can perform all over the pitch, if we could have two of him we would be quality going forward. If I'm perfectly honest I think the combination of Nicky Rugg and Jay Curran doesn't work due to the lack of pace. You can play one or the other but not both together. That is where the Ruggy/Danny Curran combo works so well. It's like Gregory/Boylan respectively. Unfortunate that Ian Luck is out injured, (again I've heard nothing about his return to fitness) as he and Ruggy would work well I think.

Leon would be a good option for a spell as Stiker and I'm all for pushing Clydie Roberts out of the right wing where he can use his pace but then that leaves a gap in the middle where the duo of Fanibuyan and Edgar could possibly work if Chris Bourne plays left-midfield.

What it needs is to have a look at the players available and where they can slot into the starting XI. Sometimes it isn't going to work and we have to accept that's the best we could do with the players available, but more often that not we can take teams apart if everyone knows their individual roles.

Guest MOB Snr
Originally Posted By: Matt CIFC
I can't comment on the Dartford game as I was not present..................

.............What it needs is to have a look at the players available and where they can slot into the starting XI. Sometimes it isn't going to work and we have to accept that's the best we could do with the players available, but more often that not we can take teams apart if everyone knows their individual roles.

Sometimes I wonder am I the only one left on earth!!!!

Do people realise what John has at his disposal, 1/3 of a part time squad with 130 people through the gate to pay the wages.

He has almost no options!!!!!!!!

We are having a good season watching some good football and we can still make the playoffs, our squad will all be coming back to fitness when others are getting tired!

We're only missing Crow, Dobbo, Ian Luck and possibly Danny Curran after Wednesday. One defender, one Midfielder and two Strikers. I wouldn't call that an injury crisis and certainly not 1/3 of the squad.

Although we do have some really talented young players in the squad, they do stil need some guidance, when the elders aren't playing, which is why I was surprised Kreyling only made the bench on Wednesday.

I expect Leon will miss today's game and possibly Jay.

The worry I've got is that if we don't get out of the division this season, we may find ourselves stuck here for a while. I think potentially failing to get ourselves promoted could lead to several players leaving and our gates further dropping. It worries me how average our team could end up looking if we don't finish the season on a high and that's not something we can afford to let happen.

As much as I'd miss the amount of local games in this league if we were to be promoted, I'd sooner get out of it and play some better supported teams.

Familiarity breeds contempt. Enfield Town are an example of this.

When they first formed they were getting crowds of 400/500 in the Essex Senior League.

Since winning promotion and despite every season finishing in the play offs or coming close to them, their crowds have dropped to below 250.

It doesn't seem to be the fact that the team are playing poorly as they consistently finish in the top 5 or higher every season, I think it's a case of fans get fed up of watching the same old teams.

There isn't enough variety in this league and not enough well supported teams. Matches against Witham, Gt Wakering etc are alright to start with but get very boring after the second or third season.

The Ryman Premier has so many teams with an average crowd of 300 plus.

Even if the likes of Chelmsford and Wimbledon go up, you'll probably have the likes of Dover who get nearly 1,000 most weeks or Sutton and St Albans who get decent attendances to replace them so plenty of variety and always plenty of well supported teams.

We don't get that in this league. We lost Hornchurch who get decent crowds and if we lose both Dartford and Sudbury, their replacements will probably be teams with support barely reaching three figures!!!

Agree we need to get out of this division if crowds are to improve but alot of patience and perseverance is needed.

Originally Posted By: Ribbit
The worry I've got is that if we don't get out of the division this season, we may find ourselves stuck here for a while. I think potentially failing to get ourselves promoted could lead to several players leaving and our gates further dropping. It worries me how average our team could end up looking if we don't finish the season on a high and that's not something we can afford to let happen.
As much as I'd miss the amount of local games in this league if we were to be promoted, I'd sooner get out of it and play some better supported teams.

As MOB said earlier, the people on the Island dont seem to realise what they have got. Some sort of publicity drive is needed, and obviously one that isnt going to cost money! How many people know about the kids for a quid? I cant think of too many ways right now, but if people start putting their heads together something can be done. Its there staring us all in the face.......

I don't completely agree with what MOB said. I don't think people on the Island are any different from those anywhere else. However, there is one thing going for us that almost no other club in the country can say - as a town we have our own, very definite borders. That should help us gain a bigger fan base.

Quote:
Familiarity breeds contempt. Enfield Town are an example of this.

When they first formed they were getting crowds of 400/500 in the Essex Senior League.

Since winning promotion and despite every season finishing in the play offs or coming close to them, their crowds have dropped to below 250.

It was a similar case when we were promoted to the Conference. People expected us to be at the top challenging, when realistically we had to be fighting relegation and they just didn't want to watch that.

Quote:
We don't get that in this league. We lost Hornchurch who get decent crowds and if we lose both Dartford and Sudbury, their replacements will probably be teams with support barely reaching three figures!!!

Well these are the teams predicted (by another) to join us in this division next season. The top four would have obviously been relegated and the other two promoted. I'd imagine a slight drop in attendances for the four relegated teams, I think Enfield's would grow slightly, but I'm not convinced Needham's fans would follow them out of their current division. The clubs and fans in the ECL seem a bit comfortable.

Cheshunt (SLP) - 197
Hitchin Town (SLP) - 249
Harlow Town (IPL) - 337
Leyton (IPL) - 126

Needham Market (ECL) - 152
Enfield (ESL) - 94

Originally Posted By: Ribbit
Quote:

Well these are the teams predicted (by another) to join us in this division next season. The top four would have obviously been relegated and the other two promoted. I'd imagine a slight drop in attendances for the four relegated teams, I think Enfield's would grow slightly, but I'm not convinced Needham's fans would follow them out of their current division. The clubs and fans in the ECL seem a bit comfortable.

Cheshunt (SLP) - 197
Hitchin Town (SLP) - 249
Harlow Town (IPL) - 337
Leyton (IPL) - 126

Needham Market (ECL) - 152
Enfield (ESL) - 94

We seem to be worried about other clubs support. If we concentrate on our own support and how we can make use of what you rightly say as us having our own borders, then I am sure we can get the support needed to sustain at this and higher levels.

Originally Posted By: The Gaffer from the Rock

We seem to be worried about other clubs support. If we concentrate on our own support and how we can make use of what you rightly say as us having our own borders, then I am sure we can get the support needed to sustain at this and higher levels.

With respect, the 'how to attract more fans' debate raises its head every few seasons. Be great if a progressive and new method could be utilised and sustained....but I'm not convinced cause the clubs' tried everything from sponsored walks to free bus rides, kids for a quid and even been on the verge of a new ground / league football pursuit....and still we talked about attracting more fans.

From a personal perspective I am always interested in a visiting teams level of support, as to me it determines the level of the home teams support. (And Beer in-take !!!) Whatever level of the pyramid its the common barometer. I almost pick and choose my games based upon atmosphere potential........roll on the Witham replay for example, just can't wait. Its all part of the day out for me - yeh sure, the tactics, strategies and workrate of the 90 mins are crucial, but it goes deeper than that. I used to love the build-up and banter prior to St Alban's, Grays, Billericay, Aldersh*te, as well as any northeners in the hey-day !!!! FFS, we were even flattered last year by having Hx as local rivals !!! - Who ????? (AIn't seen an away fan in the jellie for yonks - shame). But the more participation of visiting support at the Lane will always determine the atmosphere (and most players admit to responding to atmopshere(Hence results) - the Yellow ARMY, when on form, are top of their game and unbeatable - its just a shame that currently there's zero any opportunity to ruffle the plumage to a decent size visiting support.

When we had plenty of cash the fashionable moan was about politics and general unsavouryness around the club - now we're skint, we moan about having no cash.
....Yeh its a nicer place to be, but from a fella who used to go week in week out regardless - who now picks n chooses, I reckon we still have good fortunes ahead of us to aspire - but it'll take a while (ala Leeds). CIFC must absolutely capitalise on their heritage, something only few non-league clubs can boast. That, and our not-yet-reached-potential-squad, are our best assetts and should hold us in good stead for any growth plans.
Be patient - but as a slipping (& F**king passionate) regular i fear for the attendance in the meanwhile. Any passive sugar daddies out there? Would the Real Slim shady please stand up.

gaffer,unless people like non league footy they will not watch their team year after year struggling,we are 4th and are only now getting crowds of 3-400

If we wass top we could double that.

You must realise that if you are top of ryman one north like we were last year your maximum crowds will be 5-600(games like against the urchins)

If you win the league then do not expect the crowds to go up unless you are top of ryman prem.

Its a fact of life,there are muppets like us who will pay to watch the team we love and there are muppets like those at chelmo who will pay to watch a winning team.

Its the stigma around "non league" football. I have only just realised how great this level of football is.Ive been coming to Park lane on/off since 1992, was a regular for the Ryman seasons, started all the conference 1st season then drifted away. I started coming again last season and then this season I have caught the bug and started going to the away games (and started posting on this forum!(Cheers MOB!!)). Against Tilbury a couple of my friends came with their kids and they had a great time. The great thing about this level is it is very much family orientated and if the kids come along they generally have a great time. And they are the future, they want to keep coming down, so you have to be with them, bring a friend and the cycle starts (supposedly)! My theory is if you do it through the kids, the other half is happy because you are doing something the kids enjoy, she gets a couple of hours of peace and quiet(and she get the dinner ready), and you get to see some football and get to have a couple of pints as well. Everyones a winner!!!.... But thats only the theory...