Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey v Edgware

GRS67

Wouldn't agree with their defence being crap. We won alot of set pieces and for once the deliveries on alot of them were very good but thought their defence dealt with these well.

They're a difficult side to beat but didn't seem to have too much in attack.

Could have been 3-0 up before the equalised. They missed some criminal chances in the second half (two headers), but there was nothing wrong with Ruggy's goal. That's one of those where the ref was looking to give the foul before the corner had been taken.

Originally Posted By: OldTowner
15 supporters ?
I doubt it.
Edgware did not have that many last week for their home match with Town.
3 supporters who sing / shout all game - and that is it !!

It was really funny when I passed the 3 Edgware fans with the flag and they were making lots of noise!!!
To be fair to the Canvey supporters yesterday, they were excellent and Al commented on how noisy they were, much more vocal and that the atmosphere was brilliant. Well done to the supporters for their performance and we must all chip in to get Glen some lozenges cause he was sounding very horse!!! By the way, did you all know he is a stud muffing!!!

Originally Posted By: YELLOW
Wouldn't agree with their defence being crap. We won alot of set pieces and for once the deliveries on alot of them were very good but thought their defence dealt with these well.

They're a difficult side to beat but didn't seem to have too much in attack.

Fanibuyan had their number 3 in his pocket all game. Their 5 and 6 also had poor games. The only reason they managed to clear most set pieces, especially corners is because more often than not Francis couldn't beat the first man. I think only two of his corners managed to get in the six yard box.

I thought I would post my comments from an Edgware perspective on my first ever visit to the 'Island' I was for some reason expecting 'chav central' but from what I saw of it Canvey looks quite nice and the supporters I met and saw inside the ground were both very friendly and nice.

I was a little bit surprised that your ground was not bigger then it was, not to say its not a nice stadium, the huge terrace behind the goal is indeed football league standard, but for a team that was as recently as two seasons ago playing in the Conference national I just though that the other stand would have been bigger (Pyramid passion website that features photos of non league ground has none of Canvey's)

I know that many have complained that Edgware's clubhouse is small but from what I saw of it Canvey's looked to be equally small, how the heck did you manage to get everyone in there when you were in the conference? (what was your highest ave during your conference seasons?)

Anyway that's not a put down, as the ground is nice and a good atmosphere was made by the home support though my gripe would be that with side terrace being two separate stand which is quite unusual rather then just the one, the noise made by your supporters was somewhat lost to us in the adjoining stand, as we were not facing those fans, which would have created a better noise, I am sure you did not hear the 3 of us singing as we did pretty loudly for that same reason, it would have been more fun if we had of been facing your support if you get my drift.

As for the match, you started very well and could have indeed been at least 3-0 up before we got our equaliser, your #7 was lighting fast and but for some excellent saves from our keeper we would have lost.

We failed to take any real advantage of the fact that you played for over an hour with an outfield player in goal, rarely testing him and when we had a couple of chances from headers in the second half they were not on target and did not call on him to make any save of real note.

We played ok, but we have lost our goalscoring touch in front of goal, the goal we scored being the first of the year for us!

I thought you might have nicked a goal at the end with the amount of corners and pressure you had, but our defence did very well and its true that our defence (we had two of our regular centre halves out inc. our captain) have got us to where we are in the league, to say we dont desever to be 4th is a little harsh as we are there on merit, whether we can stay there is another matter.

The 'goal' that was not given did appear to look fine, but of course I was relived the ref did not give it, but had that happened to us I can see how aggrieved you would be as I would be the same.

It was nice to meet up with a forum reg Paula, who at the moment we met you scored! (how did you recognisee me Paula I had my hat on LOL)

All in all an enjoyable day out and I was suprised that not only were nearly 400 present at the match but your neighbours Concord manager to attract 200+ for their FA Vase 4th round tie which they won,well done to them, Canvey cant be that big so thats decent crowds with both teams being at home on the same day (what crowds do Concord get normally?)

Also I was impressed that a number of banners for both Canvey and Concord that were around the town advertising the matches

Good luck for the rest of the season, I am sure if you can put some wins together you can make the playoffs, your next two games against AFC Sudbury and Ware are BIG games for you!

Check my blog for my report and some pics

http://edgwaretown.blogspot.com/2008/01/canvey-island-1-edgware-town-1.html

Originally Posted By: The Gaffer from the Rock
15 supporters ?
I doubt it.

It was really funny when I passed the 3 Edgware fans with the flag and they were making lots of noise!!!
To be fair to the Canvey supporters yesterday, they were excellent and Al commented on how noisy they were, much more vocal and that the atmosphere was brilliant. Well done to the supporters for their performance and we must all chip in to get Glen some lozenges cause he was sounding very horse!!! By the way, did you all know he is a stud muffing!!!

I was pretty accurate then with my prediction of 10/15 fans.

At least the 3 of us try to make some noise for Edgware at matches smile

We would like to have the numbers that Canvey have and have the ammount of younger support I saw as they are the next generation of supporters so well done to your club on gaining support of the future.

Originally Posted By: Gavin
Originally Posted By: The Gaffer from the Rock
15 supporters ?
I doubt it.

I was pretty accurate then with my prediction of 10/15 fans.

At least the 3 of us try to make some noise for Edgware at matches smile

We would like to have the numbers that Canvey have and have the ammount of younger support I saw as they are the next generation of supporters so well done to your club on gaining support of the future.

Great post's Gavin. I was, for a change, being serious about the noise the 3 of you were making when I passed you. I told the yellow army they had to sing up and they did that today

Concord normally get around 50 people for home games. Quite a few matches in the ESL were postponed so a few ESL fans went over there to lend their support.

Well said, Gavin. Though we could do without the inverted comma's around Island. It most certainly is surrounded by water. tongue

I thought Edgware did bloody well to hang on to a point, despite us having our right-back in goal for much of the match. There was nothing wrong with the disallowed goal, but I don't particularly blame the ref - the FA want them to always favour the goalkeeper whether or not there was a foul. It's pathetic. We really could have done with that goal and the points to come. Still, we shall have to make it up elsewhere now.