Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

April 1st Already?

ronin

Top clubs consider overseas games

Breaking news

The English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport has learned.

At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at venues around the world, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7232390.stm

What a stupid idea. Do we have to copy everything the Americans do?!!!

hmmm so the answer to fixture congestion is to create more fixtures. Errr...If this goes through then it would mark the end of the Worthless League Cup or whatever it's called this season and could reduce the FA Cup to a reserve team competition as far as the top clubs are concered (for those that don't already treat it like one). Have to ask where is the FA in all this - why don't they nip it in the bud ? Or maybe the Premier League runs the FA...Think we could kiss goodbye to any hopes of international success if this harebrained scheme goes ahead. We might get lucky though and find FIFA regulations prevent it...

Am I the only one who thinks it's quite a good idea!?

The Premiership if a huge international brand, and the only way to push this even further is to try things like this.

Imagine, Bolton v Reading at the Maracana, magic...

Now Premier league clubs from next season can name 7 substitutes on the bench instead of the current 5. All change!!!

This is all about money - big business - it has absolutely nothing to do with what is best for English football. The days of football clubs belonging to the local populace are rapidly declining, clubs like Man U are run more like multinational companies than a footie club from Manchester.

People frequently ask me which premiership club i support, my answer? None of 'em! They are all too far removed from what the game used to be about! Some non league clubs manage to retain the spirit of local community, but most clubs at that level are struggling to get a decent gate as the next generation of "fans" prefer to sit in the pub watching sky and supporting Brand Arsenal etc (in their replica shirts of course). The plan to take the premiership to truly global proportions by playing some games abroad just widens the gulf between genuine supporters and the clubs they have traditionally supported. Can it be stopped? I somehow doubt it. Should it be stopped? I suspect a wide variety of opinions on that..... And who knows maybe one day there wont even be a need for "Fans" to be present at the games in this country, everyone will be glued to the big screen - Stella in hand eek

Brilliant Yellow Angel. Spot on.

Although I think its a great idea for Premiership Football Roadshows ala Formula 1 - Its all geared to sell more shirts, and incremental sponsorship revenues. But The Premiership is England's best export......(currently of course, NOTHING will ever top our language.)

West Ham v Chelsea in Shanghai has a certain appeal....but as you quite rightly point out, the focus is only about the commerical interests of clubs. What they'll gain with one hand they'll lose in another - genuine fans & sustainable roots will wither.

The futures bright, the futures non-league.

Originally Posted By: YELLOW
Now Premier league clubs from next season can name 7 substitutes on the bench instead of the current 5. All change!!!

It's about time, too.

As for taking the Premiership abroad; it's a idiotic idea. If they want to play across the world every other week then they should create an international league system. I'd still be against it, but it'd be a lot easier to swallow.