Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Redbridge 0-0 Canvey

YELLOW

Nothing been said about the game yet so I'll add my thoughts.

A good battling display. Defence was excellent especially Colin Wall. Dobbo making his first start of the season had a good game and would probably have got man of the match if he had played the full 90 minutes.

Redbridge I think just edged the second half as we started to tire but James Russell has only had to make one really good save.

James had another good game. Hope we can keep him until the end of the season.

I'd have settled for a point before the start of play and certainly the next two games are very winnable before we visit Brentwood in what will be a crucial game for our play off aspirations.

Agree about Colin Wall, a solid and inspiring performance.

I too would've settled for a point (or pint !) prior, but on some occassions thought we were let off by some crap Redbridge finishing.

What i thought was a little dissapointing though was our off the ball movment. I lost count of the times one of ours got into difficulty / or boxed in, but the cavalry was non-existant.

All in all though a nice day out; continued points tally momentum; lovely bit of sun and a healthy turn out of away support.

O, and i'm glad their number 6 got his marching orders - he was just a thug disguised as a football player. (Although i think my words were a little stronger at the time angel )[****!!****] fat ginger tossser angry

I was saying nasty things about his dad!!! grin (Jack Wignall, son of former Southend manager Steve)

If we had taken 1 of the 2 chances we had early in the game i think we would have gone on to win comfortably but overall i think a draw was a fair result.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Russell, he is obviously a cut above the other keepers we have but can we afford to keep him?

If it's by calendar month, I would think he would be available to play against Wingate & Finchley next weekend possibly even Wakering the week after.

Originally Posted By: ronin
It will be interesting to see what happens with Russell, he is obviously a cut above the other keepers we have but can we afford to keep him?

Even if we could - which would be ace, I'd be more interested in whether he'd actually 'want' to stay.
Promising young keeper, I reckon considering his career advancement, that he'd be better off here with an almost guaranteed first team place, opposed no exposure wasting in the reserves with a club on the brink of league football.

Russell's only fault from what I've seen of him so far is his judgement of whether to come off his line or not. Other than that, I've seen him pull off some great saves and perform quite bravely. I keep hearing we have no money for new players either so I would presume someone would have to leave to be able to afford him too.

As for the game at Redbridge. I think we could've played for a week and still not scored. Too much long ball on a balding pitch, that was easily swept up by their defence.

Also agree about our off the ball movement. Redbridge seemed to have a man in space at the right time to receive a pass, while we were losing too much possession in midfield. They'd obviously done their home work on us. Close down the likes of Leon, Fanibuyan and the Currans quickly and they won't get far without much help. But also run at our defenders as they'll let you right into the penalty area.

Suprised how Redbridge sustain players like Tarkan Mustafa when they groundshare with no crowds. I think Tarkan had a good game actually and their number 7 was given so much freedom. It was a bore draw, that I'm glad we've gotten out the way of our fixture schedule. Although thinking back to our game at Wingate last year, next Saturday isn't the most appealing fixture either and we don't really want a repeat of the Great Wakering match from last season either, the following Saturday.

Hopefully the Management team are already looking at new players to bring in for next season, whether we're successful in this campaign or not.

Originally Posted By: Matt CIFC

Hopefully the Management team are already looking at new players to bring in for next season, whether we're successful in this campaign or not.

I think every manager in football could give you a list of players they would like to sign but wanting and getting are two different matters.

Changing topic slightly i`ve heard a few things about Heybridge slashing their playing budget, i wonder where that leaves Bourgeois?

Batchy watches a lot of football at our level, and will undoubtedly have his eye on potential players. Gab was a great example, Batchy spotted him playing against us a few years back for Harlow and kept tabs on him ever since.

However, personally I hope his concentration is on the group of players we have this year, who on current form are on course to end up in the playoffs come the end of the year.

Dobbo and Crow back from injury is a major boost, with the likes of Ian Luck, Richard Halle, Jon Stuart, Dave Kreyling all to come back, and Ryan Edgar and Danny Francis back from the first leg of their international duty.

Maybe I'm being picky and without naming names, personally I wouldn't have every player you've mentioned there in my squad next season unless we desperately couldn't find better value for money.

Then again by proving they want to play for us next season, they could have blinding performances from now till the end of the season and totally change my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Matt CIFC

Suprised how Redbridge sustain players like Tarkan Mustafa when they groundshare with no crowds. I think Tarkan had a good game actually

Agree, thought Mustafa had an excellent game for them. Still capable of playing at a higher level than he is now.

Originally Posted By: The Great Eckscape

Dobbo and Crow back from injury is a major boost, with the likes of Ian Luck, Richard Halle, Jon Stuart, Dave Kreyling all to come back, and Ryan Edgar and Danny Francis back from the first leg of their international duty.

Thanks Glen, I was about to ask about Lucky. It must be ages since we've seen him!

I enjoyed the match on Saturday, but I have to say I was bitterly disappointed on the way back to the station, although that disipated by the time the tube pulled away. Redbridge played some good football and scared us a few times and given their position, I couldn't feel too hard done by with the result.

Hopefully we can keep this unbeaten run going.