Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Racist chanting

Looks like England might be punished for racist chanting at the Turkey game. I suppose seeing as England have been the main country calling for this issue to be dealt with, they must abide by the same rules.

It will be interesting to see from know on what constitues racist chanting:

Will it become an offence to chant "you dirty northern btds" when playing a team from up north

or

Will Arsenal Supporters get in trouble for singing "yiddos" at Spurs

Also,when playing abroad the local crowd could be chanting the equivalent of what the Engalnd Supporters were chanting in their local tongue and nobody would realise including the UEFA Official.

It's is going to get very interesting.

Racist chanting is abhorrent, and it's only a matter of time before the powers that be start clamping down in other disturbing trends. In 10 years time players who are for example, fat balding ginger shortarses will be spared from abuse from the terraces, as it infringes on their 'human rights'. And I for one salute them!

Never mind gooners chanting at Spurs fans, what about the Spurs fans, who call themselves the Yiddos? There were many Star of David flags flying at Wembley in 81 and 82. I won't bore you with the what I perceive as the history and origins of this, but it could reasonably be construed as ANTI-racist.

While I wholly support all moves against any form of racism (and as a serious amateur archaeologist I know how pointless and ill informed it is, let alone offensive) there is possibly a danger of "powers that be" becoming involved in the culture of the people, what used to be working class culture I suppose, that they simply do not understand.

None of which applies to northerners or the French, of course.

If the F.A. and the foreign football officials took a stronger line on racism, it could be stopped almost immediately.

There is a difference between general light-hearted banter and down and out, hard line racism.

All players and officials should report all incidents of racism.

If during the period of play, the referee should be instructed to report the incident, an investigation should be held, and the offending supporters, home or away, should have their next games/games held behind closed doors. The offending club would therefore lose that revenue. I'm damn sure clubs would then take a much stronger line with the problem. After all - Money talks !!

............and got them FA Cups.............

I WAS THERE

Oh yes Invi old mate, you have reminded me of my other life as a Spurs supporter. Yes in the period between the old and new Romford's, I was a shelf season ticket holder.

I was behind that goal where "Rick did his trick" and behind the other goal when we sat biting our nails while QPR laid siege to our goal for an hour.

Couple of pints in the Ferry Boat Inn listing to Frank & Billy Boy then off to the lane.

GERTCHA.

Yes, I was there too, down the side in the replay (Ricky's goal to my left). I saw the first game on a big screen in The Steps, in Edmonton. Suffice to say, by mid-evening I was a teensy bit woozy, darling. Great team, great days. Nice shirt, too. A rather more dour affair in 82, but the team was visibly knackered. As for 87 - I was there too, and it was my bloody birthday!

Yes, the Yiddo thing started as a retaliation when other supporters chanted the term, presumably in the belief that it was an insult. Whether it was the first time or not, I cannot stay, but I recall being in the North *ank at Highbury when the chant in reply was "Yiddoes took the North Bank" and it stuck. I do not use the term in any other context, other than to describe myself as a Spurs supporter, with pride.

Yes, I think that is what I was trying to say, banter and abuse are different kettles of fish, but those not part of a particular culture cannot always understand what is banter and what is repugnant. Conversely many people may think they are being funny when in fact they are causing offence. I suggest its best to play safe, in general.

But then look at our jokes about the French! (I assume we are joking??)

Can't we all just get along? (Gooners excepted).

I as a jew do not class Yiddo as a racist term but when Arsenal fans ( no im not a Tottenham fan) .....too me is the adjectives before hand that effect if it's racist or not!

If someone calls me a jew im not offended!

if someone calls be f**king jew, then too me they have used the word in a derogatry way!

Ilove people who quote Martin L.King as the font of all equal rights wisdom

I am not sure the women in his life would consider him so highly

But he did make great speaches

If our friend really wishes to see racism at its strongest and most vile study the caste system in India, Watch Africans and West Indians get it together study briefly the Arab and the Jew and try being white and of any religion around Seven Sisters Road after dark (Totenham London)

Ask why a Patel only marries a Patel

Racism is the last resort of the thick and the coward and is often the true feelings of those who shout "racist" loudest

• 8 years later...

Racist chanting is abhorrent, and it's only a matter of time before the powers that be start clamping down in other disturbing trends

I see that there was yet more racist chanting last Friday evening when England played in Bulgaria however I really don’t know what all the fuss is about, the players it is aimed at should just turn a blind eye and get on with the game as was the case in the 1970’s with the likes of Clyde Best and Ade Coker for West Ham and the so called Three Degrees for West Brom, they didn’t bat an eyelid and did their talking on the pitch which annoyed the racists far more than had they reacted.

Racist chanting is abhorrent, and it's only a matter of time before the powers that be start clamping down in other disturbing trends

I see that there was yet more racist chanting last Friday evening when England played in Bulgaria however I really don’t know what all the fuss is about, the players it is aimed at should just turn a blind eye and get on with the game as was the case in the 1970’s with the likes of Clyde Best and Ade Coker for West Ham and the so called Three Degrees for West Brom, they didn’t bat an eyelid and did their talking on the pitch which annoyed the racists far more than had they reacted.

Is this a record? Reviving an 8 year old thread? Is it really necessary, and what sort of troubled mind is capable of looking up a subject title in this way rather than start a new thread?

And by the way, racism is about how the behaviour feels to the victim, and only he/she knows that, not a tw@t like you! Do you really think that those guys you cite from the really bad old days were not the victims of racism? I was a regular at Football League games in those days, and racist chants were one of the many ways that the typical football hooligan of those days disgraced himself, but it was no more acceptable then than it is today.

Just to lighten things up, and with apologies to anyone of the Jewish faith, or who is ginger, or who is fat reading this, I was at a game a couple of seasons ago where a player ran up to an opponent and kicked him. The ref intervened and asked the offender why he had done it. He called me a "[censored] yid" he explained. Did you? asked the ref. Yes I did, came the reply. If he'd have been ginger I'd have called him an effing ginger, if he'd have been fat, I'd have called him a fat [****!!****]. What's the problem? The ref agreed and let the matter rest!