Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Colonel Lawrence where are you....

So....the war is almost over and the search for a peaceful transition to democracy begins.............!!

interesting to see the latest news reels from Nasariya showing the meeting today of all the various factions involved....several have already boycotted the meeting...

it turned my mind back to a scene from the film 'Lawrence Of Arabia'....in this particular scene.....the Turks had been defeated by the 'united' Arab factions under Colonel Lawrence and all the Sheiks and Tribal leaders have gathered...in Damascus I recall.....to set up an interim government and to also get the City back up and running again...water...power....law and order....the whole works.....

sounds familiar....of course it does......history always repeats itself in the Arab world...its part of their culture to ensure that it does....

anyway....the meeting ends in mayhem as all the various factions fail to agree on who's getting what and full scale tribal warfare erupts.........

The British...led by Allenby...interven to restore order and as a result the borders and homelands are changed and the Middle East as we know it today is created...

thereby paving the way for most of the troubles of the past 80 odd years......

we'll see....we'll see.....

Bloody good film though.

Lawrence went a bit barmy with the shame of having to lie to the Arabs, knowing full well that they would never be given self determination after the war but having to promise it.

I believe the British put a stop to all this self rule nonsense at the conference by shutting down (i.e. not runing) all the utilities - power stations, water supply and so on.

I've had a bit of a thing about quicksand ever since I saw the film as an Invisible Nipper.

T.E was also, by all accounts, a bit 'that way' and a bit of a masochist as well.

Still - It takes all sorts !!

I actually have a 2nd Edition copy of Seven Pillars.

Doesn't alter my conception of T.E.

A strange guy, to say the least !