Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town and the QE Stadium

Originally Posted By: Steph
Having put the notice of a meeting on a public notice board it seems to me that anybody who turns up can be a member.

I have still not been sent a constitution by the council officer.

If at first you don't succeed, then ask again. As it is a friends group, then why not ask them?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the sign last night and noted that it said that there are three aims of the "Friends" and that it is a partnership with the local council.

One of the aims is to "determine the future use of the fields" (I may be paraphrasing as this is typed from memory). How can a self appointed group "determine" the use of the fields when they dont own it and do not pay for it. I would suggest that if the group does "determine" the future of the fields this is clearly "ultra vires".

I may be reading too much into the notice however it is poor use of language which is common in our public services nowadays.

I have campaigned on many issues in my life - including standing outside Enfield Town station and distributing leaflets in support of EFC. The thing that I cannot understand is that whenever I have joined others in a campaign we wanted to get our message across and to that end we distributed leaflets, performed public stunts etc. What I cannot understand is as the "friends" are so vocal in the local papers why do they hide their lights under a bushel. Almost a masonic gathering.

It is all very well suggesting that if I want to know about the "friends" I should contact the guy at at the council. But I have done that and did not receive the promised material. I have looked at notice boards etc. The "friends" if they really do believe the crap they write in the local papers should get of their a*ses and seek to meet and persuade the community that they purport to represent. I think that then they would really see how little support they have.

A community group should be just that and work within the community not a partner of the local authority and certainly not campaigning for their own petty agenda without ensuring that they have public support.

BTW since the group is not yet a year old why have no minutes been posted, How has it arrived at its policies since it is required to meet 3 times a year and has, therefore only met twice? It does not even have a web site. This group has no credence at all and should not - without a wider public base - be given so much publicity and support by council officers or the local press.

We should all attend on 21st July to ensure that the group adopt policies which we feel we can all support. dark3

As far as I recall, the KG (or Enfield) playing fields always comprised over 20 adult football pitches with associated changing and shower facilities, and at the ends there were a large 'Lido' style swimming pool, an old fashioned athletics stadium with cafe, and a senior and very succcessful non-league football club. In short, a reasonably large area of the borough set aside for sport and leisure activities.

No doubt any 'friend' of the playing fields will want to preserve and indeed enhance these and similar facilities.

Lets face it the culture of Enfield Council needs to change, they need to be pro sport and offer valuable service to the 100's of thousands of residents by improving the standard of all playing fields as they are all a disgrace. From the pitches of KG playing fields-Ponders End REC-Firs Farm-Grovelands Park etc etc The council and the 'friends' should be embracing the ETFC proposals for wanting to at least start by regenrating the QE Stadium.

Another thing I can never understand is why oh why does the council also take away all the goalposts in the playing fields between June and mid August, other than to stop locals from using them,having fun and participating in a sport albeit being an informal summers day kick about. I would'nt ,mind if it was to treat the goalposts from its terminally rusty conditions, but it seems its just gives the park keeper a job to do.

We had the Ladies 5 aside tournament on the playing fields yesterday and had access to the QE stadium changing rooms and toilets and I must say that they are seriously in need of refurbishment and some care taken over them.

I didn't say I was in the ladies but I was having fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biglaugh

Anyway you're only jealous!bootyshake