Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Names in the Hat

I am Spartacus

Edwards and O'C would be a dream come true for those of us who witnessed them help us go from rubbish to the pinnacle of non-league football but I am afraid to say that their appointment would be a mistake. We desperately need someone with successful experience at this level and with plenty of Football League contacts. AFC Wimbledon have taken another half a dozen or so Football League players on loan in the last month to boost their play-off push, despite having a big squad anyway. And if they had a squad the size of ours they would not be sitting second right now.

Terry Yorath would probably have the contacts but has been out of the game since 2002 and has not managed any side outside of the professional ranks.

Two names I would throw in the hat.....

George Borg. A man that fans of any club that he does not manage hates but you cannot deny that he has the ability. A name like that would get players wanting to play for the club (remember that we are going to have Dover and Dartford also fighting for players signatures in our division next year and they both appear to have more money than us to throw around) as he is a legend in non league circles.

Or how about a guy who has had a fair bit of success at this level and has been out of management for a couple of years. Although if I named him there would be a glut of 'never take a step backwards' replies!

Steve

Originally Posted By: blue balls
Neil Cugley?

I'd rather see someone else in charge here than Cugley. Cugley has had a bad year at Folkestone, and isn't exactly popular amongst their fans. Would be a terrible move IMO.

My top choice would be George Borg (only at Boreham Wood on a caretaker basis until the end of this season I understand). As Steve says, it would create a huge wave of interest in Non-League circles and players would be desperate to play for the guy. He's no nonsense, commands respect, has the experience having won this league 2 years ago... etc.

Next I would go for Justin Edinburgh, followed by Matt Jones (both Ex Ricay). Edinburgh has since been at Fisher and Grays, and I believe is now short-term assistant to Colin Lippiatt at Woking until the summer.

If we're looking local, on a small budget (although I hope this isn't the case) then we could do worse than look at Seager at Whitstable. He'd be a better choice than Cugs.

Lastly, I have to say that the top three choices I mention I believe would only come here if the budget was right. I hope it is.

Must be someone with non league experience-a big mistake was been made with Trott and his lack of experience-thus not Edwards.(Bill that is-Craig Edwards probably not either )

For me-if we could afford him (and recently left Rushden as no 2 to gary Hill-and of course knows all about margate):

KEVIN HALES

Call for Hales:

(from confguide and the rushden club site )

Rushden coach Hales leaves Nene Park

Rushden & Diamonds have revealed that first team coach Kevin Hales has left Nene Park after failing to agree terms on a new contract.

"Kevin's current deal with the Club expired at the end of this season and he was offered a new deal going forward for the 2008/09 campaign," chairman Keith Cousins told the club's official website.

"Kevin decided to turn the offer down and subsequently resigned on Saturday evening.

"It goes without saying that we wish Kevin and his family all the very best for the future but it is important as a Football Club that we now move on.

The future is blue.Margate blue for Mr Hales.

Knows the club having been here with CK,can coach, after a few years as a coach-surely its time for him now to manage which i am sure he could do very well at this level.

Plenty of non league contacts-and i suspect he still lives in kent.

Does'nt his son also play for a local non league club aswell.

(i should point out that it was not this saturday he left them but a fortnight ago )

:

Originally Posted By: michaelmichael

can coach, after a few years as a coach-surely its time for him now to manage which i am sure he could do very well at this level.

I seem to remember that as Welling manager Kevin Hales took them down from the Conference into the Southern League in 99/00. He does have another eight years of experience under his belt, working alongside CK and Garry Hill, so to be fair, maybe not such a bad idea. But, I reckon he'd cost a fair whack, and probably out of our price range as far as wages go.