Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

More bad news for the motorist

Secret tax to hit family cars

Tens of thousands of families face higher motoring costs after a Government decision to include cars up to seven years old.

The Treasury is abolishing the exemption for older cars from the highest rates of excise duty. This means that owners of larger cars bought since 2001 will find that their road tax will rise steeply from next April.

The increases are being introduced in two stages, with owners of cars emitting more than 225g/km who are now paying

Drivers of large cars, or strictly speaking cars that consume more fuel, already pay disproportionately more as by definition they buy more fuel, most of the cost of which is tax. This tax is far higher than the rest of Europe, where incidentally diesel is cheaper than petrol - but no doubt the rest of the world is out of step, not us!

Probably the bigger problem is unnecesary journeys. My relatively large car produces less pollution etc than mu chavvy neighbour's little Fiaty thing, as it is better maintained and does not make multiple daily trips to take the kids to school (well within walking distance) or to the nearby Tesco. It is startling how much clearer the roads are during school holidays and how much obstruction is caused around schools in my area. Unfortunately many of these cars are 'small' cars.

Finally, I wonder how you would define a '4x4' in order to ban it? A number of 'ordinary' cars these days employ 4 wheel drive that you would probably not recognise. Conversely, with most '4x4s' you would have to stick your head into the cabin to see if 4 wheel drive was engaged or not: if not, presumably the car must be defined a 2 wheel drive. You would have a real problem with a Freelander of course as it employs a viscous coupling.

The very real no no for us all is that we have at least two more years of this (biggest ever) tax and spend Government

Of course we can all deny the logic of the latest cash grabbing assault on motorist as we can on council tax payers plus fuel energy users and food shoppers etc etc etc

The latest excuse is a "world" recession? Where I come from the response is spelt with two Ls and an X

Dear Staines Rebel.....How lucky you are to have such a boring life, 2.4 kids and vote for this sh1te party, I for one will not give up driving my Porsche as I have worked towards this for along time. So crawl back under your stone and fill up your excuse of a car and vote for you sh1te party I add run by a Scot.

Originally Posted By: Staines Rebel

I have an efficent small petrol car

So you keep on driving your big gas guselling cars and paying high road tax and insurance, so that I can have cheap driving.

well this is all true as my 5.3 litre bentley is outrageously expensive on fuel and the 75 foot fairline is a ba5tard on the desiel as well...not to mention the twin turbo squirrel at 700 quid per hour......grin

Quote:
I've just come back from Egypt - petrol is 10p per litre!!

We've hit $3.89 a gallon. I don't know what that translates to in litres, but we're not used to it being this high. There is talk of it going to $3.9 before the weekend.

I nearly had a panic attack at the pump today, paying $35.10 for 9 gallons. crazy

Originally Posted By: Moo
Quote:
I've just come back from Egypt - petrol is 10p per litre!!

We've hit $3.89 a gallon. I don't know what that translates to in litres, but we're not used to it being this high. There is talk of it going to $3.9 before the weekend.

I nearly had a panic attack at the pump today, paying $35.10 for 9 gallons. crazy

......And the big five oil companies making $3 million dollars an HOUR!.........Go figure!

Thats Labour for you , same old rubbish, and they wonder why they got a spanking at the polls recently, nanny state, telling everybody what to do , then they try to tell everybody that its not there fault about the fuel prices going up, but they take the biggest bloody cut, this lot in no 10 think the public are all stupid, but the silent majority, have given you your answers, roll on election times and the people of this country will finnish the job. BF

Originally Posted By: Blue fan
Thats Labour for you , same old rubbish, and they wonder why they got a spanking at the polls recently, nanny state, telling everybody what to do , then they try to tell everybody that its not there fault about the fuel prices going up, but they take the biggest bloody cut, this lot in no 10 think the public are all stupid, but the silent majority, have given you your answers, roll on election times and the people of this country will finnish the job. BF

The electorate had their chance last time and bottled it. God forbid they don't bottle it next time around.

Originally Posted By: Bitch
Originally Posted By: Paula
I've just come back from Egypt - petrol is 10p per litre!! frown

Just stick the nozzle in and the camels go for hours evil

Would you care to elaborate ??