Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2008/2009 Squad

CT9

My personal view is not so much "worry" but "excitement". It's the thought that we might have a really good team right on our doorstep. With a few experienced players to guide them through the initial stages and a lot of sounds of approval from the choir and other fans.

O.K. we've all got concerns but from what's been happening this is the most likely route that the club's going to take. So from we've seen so far let's go through player by player and see if we think they're up to it.

Bowles, Corbishley, Morris, Quain, Young (All have shown that they can play at this level).

McAree - I've started with him because he's the player that I've admired the most in the games I watched these lads play. Very skillful (glides past players for fun), never seems to miss a pass, scores goals and always seems to win tackles when our team loose the ball. WOULD HAVE THOUGHT HE CAN DEFINATELY MAKE THE JUMP TO RYMAN PREMIER. "Plus I'll tip him to be our most exciting player next season". Like I've said before let the fireworks begin because as soon as he comes on the pitch everyone waits with baited breath and he never seems to disappoint.

Lewis - Never stops running, very skillful on the ball, tackles back when losing the ball. Only critism at this stage is that he could get his head up a bit more to spot a pass. WOULD HAVE THOUGHT HE CAN DEFINATELY MAKE THE JUMP TO RYMAN PREMIER. He seems to be the other player I can't wait to watch full of excitement.

Payne- Seemed to get better and better with every game. A sweet left foot. LOOKS AS IF HE CAN MAKE THE GRADE TO PLAY AT RYMAN PREMIER.

Pratt - Again another player who gives it his all and most importantly like Lewis and McAree tackles back. This I find is very important for a striker to realise that he's the 1st defender. Can strike a ball with both feet. WOULD HAVE THOUGHT HE CAN DEFINATELY MAKE THE JUMP TO RYMAN PREMIER.

Taylor - knows where the net is but at only 16 he's not as quick as the others I think he needs a bit more time to come through yet.

Wheatly - again only 16 but cetainly looked good in the couple of games I saw him in.

McNamee - looked solid and strong whenever I watched him. LOOKS LIKE HE CAN MAKE THE STEP UP TO RYMAN PREMIER.

These are my views from what I've seen of these lads so far. So as you can tell I think there's 5 that already can, 3 that definately can, 2 most probably can and 2 that still need to grow a bit more before they can, aren't ready yet.

Do the rest of you agree with these comments?

What concerns me is that we won't have much of a physical presence in our team. At this level games are not won by skill but by not making mistakes and getting stuck in. Thuggery can take you a long way (as Ramsgate have proved). It would be good to see some old sweats in with the kids to provide leadership and to make sure we are not a soft touch.

Does anyone no if Rob and Macca are still around , and as for bringing in new players i would like to see Walid Matata and Daniel Braithwaite both added to the squad , both at Ashford Town kent and both wasted there , Matata could always cause problems with his pace and would be a great capture to play upfront , Braithwaite solid at the back always impressed when watching him at Dover . Up the Gate .

The problem I can see is that some of these players have not played at Ryman Premier level. Its ok saying that they look great in reserves matches but they are playing teams of their own standard. No matter what anybody says there is a HUGE difference between Ryman premier and what they are playing now. If there wasn't, every team in the country would be doing it. You compare it with Ramsgate but their young players have been there for years and have been blooded into the team gradually gaining the experience as they go. Apart from a couple, ours have not. It appears that we are losing all our experienced players, and that is a great mistake because these are the very players that the younger ones need to learn from. It now appears we will be going for an unknown (or inexperienced)manager as well which is a recipe for disaster. If we go for an ex gate player who performed great for the club in the past that doesn't mean he makes a good manager. When things start to go wrong its the experienced players who have been there before that the manager turns to. I really fear for the club this summer and for the third season running we appear to be moving in the wrong direction. I really really hope I am proved wrong. I will continue to support the club, but if after the first few matches we are getting beaten week in week out I will not be wasting my money travelling 150 miles to each home game. PLEASE PLEASE prove me wrong next season!!!

any one who saw the way they stood up to and ddefeated Ramsgate in the second half a few weeks ago knows the answer to coffinenders post. Whem Mark w said a team full of youngsters, he qualified it by saying in two years. we all know we need a strong spine, every team does.

Just had to join in. Ramsgate have introduced their younger players one or 2 at a time, not because they will set the pitch alight but to see how they cope. The one thing that we can say is that even by doing so they had a good season. Although we have far better u18 and reserve teams for the last 2 seasons Ramsgate have taken the lead both in first team and reserve filtering, only those who run the Gate teams know why.

A lot is being said about the reserve turn round v Rams a few weeks ago. I know that some who came on in the second half had something to prove, and of course they did and paid (money) for the chance. The fact is that these players have been around all season, waiting. Lets take a huge jump of logic, I`ll try out those 2 players in the first team because I know that their place will be adequately filled in the reserves and so on. Margate is not short on reasonable players, they are short on foresight or whatever else is that has prevented management from doing this.

The problem is, has MFC left it too late. If, as is being suggested, up to 8 players are to be moved up we might ruin them. However, it seems MFC have no other choice but to try and we have to give them a chance, many take a while but they might just be able to do it. I`d except a lower half finish next season and something to look forward to than carrying on shelling out money and still no one is happy or worse.

I`ve watched a lot of Gate youth sides this year and as said before the cream has already been taken but there are players there who with care and guidance could make it.

I for one have faith in the youth and I wish them luck for 2008/09.

I am very much hoping that Josephs will be retained/resigned-think he has alot to offer.

I do read above though that (Elliot ?)Payne-who i know nothing about gets good 'ratings',and that Porka has him in his current team as left back-am i right then that left back is his postion;and that if Josephs is not retained/resigned-Payne would be an option there

(you know me-get the defence sorted first-then the midfield,and don't worry too much about the forwards-that will look after itself )

I may be biased here MM but eliot has (as has been mentioned) a sweet left foot and can pretty much place a ball on a sixpence, however, as eliots uncle, He has to either (and his dad agrees)to bulk up muscle wise or becom that little bit faster. Having given that his distributional play is - dare I say it - on par with Jimmy Jackson and would say given a bit of 1st team experience will flourish - as I said tho i am biased wink

try and persuade him to get down the gym then !!

Much healthier (and definately cheaper ) than women and lager

As another post above says-skill is ok, but thuggery and brute force are useful assets at this level,where an average big'un beats a talented little 'un.