Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Kevin Dobinson vs Stuart Batch

I am not really one to participate in forums, but having read through the Player Changes post and especially the comments by Ribbit I must say I am disgusted.

We have just gained promotion after a tough season in which John has squeezed every last ounce of effort from our squad. At times we have been down to the bare bones and that is when you need players like Stuart who will come in and give 100% to the team because they are proud to play for the club. Stuart by his own admission I'm sure is not the most talented player in the squad, but he never disgraces himself when he pulls on the shirt.

In my opinion if we are looking at players with things to answer for I would look no further than Kevin Dobinson. For the last few seasons he has been one of our top earners, yet only play 50-60% of the games each season. Lets be honest he is in nothing like the shape he was when we were in the Conference, so either the management team arent getting him fit enough or he's not looking after himself. I think we know John always ensures the squad are fit and competitive, so my question is what is the greater drain on the club - Stuart playing his heart out for a couple of quid or Kevin picking and choosing when he plays for a substantial amount of the wage budget. I know what my feeling is.............

Unfortunately Stuart has been slated coz he is the managers son !

Without seeing him play more than a couple of times i think it is gauranteed he will give 110% when pulling on a Canvey shirt !

You need these type of players at any level !

Don't confuse not playing well with not giving 100%.

Also, why try and defend one player by moving on and slating another one Gulls4Life!?!? Dobbo has been immense since coming back in, one of the reasons we had the joint best defensive record in the league.

Find it hard to comprehend how anyone can be critical of players after the season we've just had? Oh well, game of opinions and all that...

i think the critisism of Batch has always been uncalled for (Ribbit you really need to pay more attention when batch comes on), he is a good reliable player that very rarely lets a pass go astray. if you want someone to come in and shore up a midfield with nice simple passes i genuinely don

Im pretty sure Stuart Batch played against us in the Thames side trophy , he is a tough tackling player and was one of my harder opponents to play against in midfield this year. To say he never gives 100% is a bit harsh , he certainly gave that and a bit more against us . Granted i think Ryman Prem may be a step too far for him , but then again after playing against some of yours and watching that play off final i think the Ryman Prem may be beyond quite a few . He would be an asseto most ryman 1 teams, you should feel lucky you can have the luxury of having him their on the bench chomping at the bit to get on.

I was only being honest in that I think Kevin has been paid very well for Canvey for playing only a handful of games this year. Surely that money would be better spent elsewhere on someone who can come in and do a job for a whole season.

Are you really saying you think he is in prime condition? I dont think Jeff King would have tolerated his current fitness level (or lack of them). I reckon he is probably carrying an extra stone which can only be contributing to his knack of picking up injuries.

Originally Posted By: Linneycifc
Trust me he ain't heavy!!

I'll say it before someone else does "He's my brother"

And how do you know this then Lyndsaycuddle, is there something you have to tell us cuddle

Anyway, back to the subject, even if Dobbo has put on a bit of weight (I've not noticed that to be honest), is this the worst thing in the world? Surely if he does the job which he has done in every game he's played, that's all that matters?

Take Greggors for example (no offence if you're reading this Neil!) He was never a small bloke, but consistently performed in the league and in those memorable FA Cup games.

I agree. Stuart gets a lot of criticism but pound for pound (and there are a lot more pounds on dobbo than there used to be) he offers better value for money that kevin dobinson. Whilst i agree he has performed well at the back this year but we all no he is capable of so much more. Dobbo these days is playing at 50% capacity and lets be honest. If he was playing to 100% Jeff King would have taken him to Chelmsford City. I know he is washed up and so does Jeff King!

Dobbo more than makes up with experience and intelligent input into his game than he does charging up and down the field like a man possessed. There are others that can fulfill that role.

Cut 'em all some slack pls. Look where they were 2 years ago, and look at the journey they've just taken us on.

......Lets at least get the new season underway before we start calling for heads on chopping blocks.

Come on You Yellows (all of ya !!)

Thing is we're talking about a box to box man that would pop up with 7-10 screamers per season who now coasts every saturday afternoon playing in only one half, and for only half the season because he has broken a finger nail or something

Dobbos a great lad and a great player but he needs to look at himself and ask himself if he is giving his all for the Gulls. I certainly know the answer, and i think dobbo in his heart of hearts does to...

Dobbo does what he needs to I'll grant you. If he's playing against a poor centre forward then he only does what is required to stop the fella scoring. However, when he's come up against better players, he has picked his game up and been just as effective. That's why I believe he will be a key player next season.