Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 17-October 17 )

• Photo
    oliPFC

• Photo
    walker1710

• Photo
    twopintstom

• Photo
    atlantis77

• Photo
    sting in the tail

• Photo
    haynab66

• Photo
    NEW BOY BLUE

Photo

Kevin Dobinson vs Stuart Batch

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
35 replies to this topic

offline Gull4Life

Gull4Life
  • At the Turnstiles
I am not really one to participate in forums, but having read through the Player Changes post and especially the comments by Ribbit I must say I am disgusted.

We have just gained promotion after a tough season in which John has squeezed every last ounce of effort from our squad. At times we have been down to the bare bones and that is when you need players like Stuart who will come in and give 100% to the team because they are proud to play for the club. Stuart by his own admission I'm sure is not the most talented player in the squad, but he never disgraces himself when he pulls on the shirt.

In my opinion if we are looking at players with things to answer for I would look no further than Kevin Dobinson. For the last few seasons he has been one of our top earners, yet only play 50-60% of the games each season. Lets be honest he is in nothing like the shape he was when we were in the Conference, so either the management team arent getting him fit enough or he's not looking after himself. I think we know John always ensures the squad are fit and competitive, so my question is what is the greater drain on the club - Stuart playing his heart out for a couple of quid or Kevin picking and choosing when he plays for a substantial amount of the wage budget. I know what my feeling is.............

offline Beachboys

Beachboys
  • National Squad - 1st XI
  • Supports: Concord Rangers FC
  • Foes: The second team on the Rock !
Unfortunately Stuart has been slated coz he is the managers son !

Without seeing him play more than a couple of times i think it is gauranteed he will give 110% when pulling on a Canvey shirt !

You need these type of players at any level !

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
Well that's where I disagree. I have never seen him give 100%.

offline The Great Eckscape

The Great Eckscape
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
  • rank
  • Supports: Canvey Island, Tottenham Hotspur
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football, Cricket, Boxing, Speedway
Don't confuse not playing well with not giving 100%.

Also, why try and defend one player by moving on and slating another one Gulls4Life!?!? Dobbo has been immense since coming back in, one of the reasons we had the joint best defensive record in the league.

Find it hard to comprehend how anyone can be critical of players after the season we've just had? Oh well, game of opinions and all that...

offline ken

ken
  • Reserves Coach
i think the critisism of Batch has always been uncalled for (Ribbit you really need to pay more attention when batch comes on), he is a good reliable player that very rarely lets a pass go astray. if you want someone to come in and shore up a midfield with nice simple passes i genuinely don

offline onebreast

onebreast
  • National Squad - 1st XI
  • Supports: Arsenal
  • Foes: DIrty Yid Scum
  • Fav. Player(s): Magic Merse & Rocky Rocastle
  • Fav. Sport(s): Monkey Tennis
Im pretty sure Stuart Batch played against us in the Thames side trophy , he is a tough tackling player and was one of my harder opponents to play against in midfield this year. To say he never gives 100% is a bit harsh , he certainly gave that and a bit more against us . Granted i think Ryman Prem may be a step too far for him , but then again after playing against some of yours and watching that play off final i think the Ryman Prem may be beyond quite a few . He would be an asseto most ryman 1 teams, you should feel lucky you can have the luxury of having him their on the bench chomping at the bit to get on.

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
I don't appreciate the insinuation that I don't pay attention.

offline Gull4Life

Gull4Life
  • At the Turnstiles
I was only being honest in that I think Kevin has been paid very well for Canvey for playing only a handful of games this year. Surely that money would be better spent elsewhere on someone who can come in and do a job for a whole season.

Are you really saying you think he is in prime condition? I dont think Jeff King would have tolerated his current fitness level (or lack of them). I reckon he is probably carrying an extra stone which can only be contributing to his knack of picking up injuries.

offline Linneycifc

Linneycifc
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
Trust me he ain't heavy!!

I'll say it before someone else does "He's my brother"

offline The Gaffer from the Rock

The Gaffer from the Rock
  • First XI - Sub
  • Supports: Canvey Island and Liverpool
  • Foes: I hate (and I mean F*****G Hate!!!) Man Utd
  • Fav. Player(s): Rusty, Doomz & Big Nose from the Mighty Canvey Island & King Kenny, Ray Clemence, and Louie Suarez
Originally Posted By: Linneycifc
Trust me he ain't heavy!!

I'll say it before someone else does "He's my brother"

And how do you know this then Lyndsaycuddle, is there something you have to tell us cuddle

The Great Eckscape
  • rank
Well he did have him on his shoulders at Redbridge, so he should know!!

offline Linneycifc

Linneycifc
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
Thankyou for biting for me TGE!!

The Great Eckscape
  • rank
Shut it Lyndsey, I was talking to Gaffer!

The Great Eckscape
  • rank
Anyway, back to the subject, even if Dobbo has put on a bit of weight (I've not noticed that to be honest), is this the worst thing in the world? Surely if he does the job which he has done in every game he's played, that's all that matters?

Take Greggors for example (no offence if you're reading this Neil!) He was never a small bloke, but consistently performed in the league and in those memorable FA Cup games.

offline mellowyellow

mellowyellow
  • At the Turnstiles
I agree. Stuart gets a lot of criticism but pound for pound (and there are a lot more pounds on dobbo than there used to be) he offers better value for money that kevin dobinson. Whilst i agree he has performed well at the back this year but we all no he is capable of so much more. Dobbo these days is playing at 50% capacity and lets be honest. If he was playing to 100% Jeff King would have taken him to Chelmsford City. I know he is washed up and so does Jeff King!

The Great Eckscape
  • rank
All these new posters, the fan base is growing all ready!!

Dobbo ain't washed up, just wait until next season and you'll see why he's a vital part of the squad!

offline LOS

LOS
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
Dobbo more than makes up with experience and intelligent input into his game than he does charging up and down the field like a man possessed. There are others that can fulfill that role.

Cut 'em all some slack pls. Look where they were 2 years ago, and look at the journey they've just taken us on.

......Lets at least get the new season underway before we start calling for heads on chopping blocks.

Come on You Yellows (all of ya !!)

offline mellowyellow

mellowyellow
  • At the Turnstiles
Thing is we're talking about a box to box man that would pop up with 7-10 screamers per season who now coasts every saturday afternoon playing in only one half, and for only half the season because he has broken a finger nail or something

Dobbos a great lad and a great player but he needs to look at himself and ask himself if he is giving his all for the Gulls. I certainly know the answer, and i think dobbo in his heart of hearts does to...

The Great Eckscape
  • rank
Dobbo does what he needs to I'll grant you. If he's playing against a poor centre forward then he only does what is required to stop the fella scoring. However, when he's come up against better players, he has picked his game up and been just as effective. That's why I believe he will be a key player next season.

offline mellowyellow

mellowyellow
  • At the Turnstiles
I totally agree he is doing a job for us. Its just frustrating knowing a player that has so much more in his locker only playing partly to his ability. Maybe Batchy will get the horse head on the slim fasts in pre season and we will see the midfield dynamo once again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus