Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Charlton newspaper coverage

mikef

I thought this might be of interest to some of you as there have been several posts with regards to improving gate numbers. It would appear from this notice that we in Gravesham & Dartford are the focus of Charlton FC's attention.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message to all Charlton supporters living in Kent, including Bexley and Bromley.

We would like to draw your attention to a letter in this morning's Kent on Sunday, complaining about that paper's decision to cover Charlton, from Malcolm Owen, of Canterbury. Excerpts are as follows:

"For a decade the Addicks have enjoyed coverage in Kent that is out of all proportion to their importance to the people here. Furthermore and somewhat inexplicably, they enjoy coverage not offered to other South London clubs, or to many Kent clubs for that matter.

"In the past I have stopped buying the Kent Messenger when their coverage of Charlton became truly excessive. I have also written to Meridian in an attempt understand their broadcasting policy.

"Please Kent on Sunday, give the paper back to Kent sport. I don't want to read South London on Sunday. And if anyone can give me a straight answer as to why, for instance, Meridian show Charlton matches, I'd be glad to hear from them. Contact me at [email:savekentfootball@yahoo.co.uk".]savekentfootball@yahoo.co.uk".[/email]

>From the club's perspective, we have actively pursued Kent coverage because we recognise the extent to which our existing and latent support is drawn from Kent, but obviously where media is localised to the north-west of the county - Gravesham, Dartford, etc - this tends to carry more coverage and is the focus of our attention.

In the case of Kent on Sunday, the paper publishes one edition which includes Bexley and Bromley in its core distribution area, and only someone with no knowledge of the area would suggest that any Kent club enjoys more support in these boroughs.

We don't ever seek coverage across Kent to the exclusion of local clubs, but in recognition of the interest that already exists across the county.

It is important, however, that we challenge any suggestion that this coverage is unwarranted and we would encourage Charlton supporters in Bexley, Bromley and Kent to put a reasoned and polite contrary argument to Mr Owen.

Thanks for your support.

Rick Everitt

CAFC Communications

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards

Mike F

I only go to Charlton when Wednesday play there.....I might have a long wait for the next occasion !!

The thing is .......where is the boundary between London & Kent ?...old fat two jags would probably have it at Whitstable !!

Blackheath was in Kent once........but we now have the London Borough of Bexley....so London is creeping down. Wasn't there some proposal a few years back to make Gravesham & Dartford one metropolitan borough ? or have I got that wrong ??and part of the GLC ?

Anyway...a personal opinion ( and no offence to anyone who takes a contrary view ).....Gravesend is in Kent and so it always should be !!

Cheers,

grin.gif grin.gif grin.gif

I agree, I grew up in the Bromley area which was also in Kent in 50's & 60's but I notice is now the London Borough of Bromley. So why does the Kent on Sunday publish one edition with Bexley & Bromley in its core distribution area. As you say Gravesend is in Kent & so it always should be.

Regards

Mike F

I have friends who live in Bromley, Sidcup and Bexley all who insist they live in Kent, even though thier towns are in London boroughs.

The way I look at it is that when I'm on the A2 coming back from Bexleyheath, there's a sign that says "welcome to Kent" just outside of Dartford, so that's the border

Re subject heading I thought I had another 15 minutes of fame, but then I read it again.

Oh well.

I agree wholeheartedly with your point old boy!

Of course, Gillingham is not in 'proper' Kent because it is part of Medway Borough, a Unitary authority!!!!!!

At the end of the day it's all B******S, the 'local' media are run by massive organisations mainly outside the county and all they seem interested in are papers sold or viewers watching. Whilst this is important, all too often the local interest is lost.

Case in point Meridian are owned by Granada. Watch out for extensive 'local' coverage of Manchester United next season.

tongue.gif

Quote:
I have friends who live in Bromley, Sidcup and Bexley all who insist they live in Kent, even though thier towns are in London boroughs.

Well according to the Post Office they are all in Kent, and Charlton are supposed to play in the Kent Senior Cup along with Gillingham and Millwall.

But at the end of the Kent on Sunday is a free rag that my newsagent wants me to take along with my NLP. (I only take it when it's raining)

Just refuse to take and as the begin to get copies flooding back they will have to rethink.

Charlton is South East London.

On a slightly different note, it's rather depressing to see the number of Charlton supporters that live in Dartford & the surrounding areas - there's thousands of them passing through Dartford train station on match days.

I can only assume that they all became Charlton supporters when Dartford went bust.

I agree. It is an ego trip on the part of many who have simply jumped on the bandwagon of Charlton's Premiership status. The often fawning coverage given by Radio Kent's reporters who have somehow extended the County to pretend that it has a Premiership club, is frequently sickening. Listen to it next season and see what I mean.

I forgot to respond to the comments about the free Kent On Sunday newspaper. Although it's local football coverage is not very good I have been very impressed with the quality of the journalism in the paper leaving the likes of the Reporter and Messenger standing. It's depth is quite amazing for a free newspaper. It has had good coverage on issues such as the Cliffe Airport plans.

The fact is though that charlton are the nearest premiership team. Most people support a prem team aswell as their local team. Why shouldn't we get coverage of Charlton here for all those interested in prem football.

You are missing the point of the original letter to K on S. The sports pages appear to exclude ALL of Kent football, only occaisionally giving limited coverage of Gillingham. I suspect the Editor lives in London, supports Arsenal and Charlton, watches Meridian and has never heard of, let alone watched, Gravesend, Margate, Dover, Ashford etc.

This really is reporting of the worst kind, simply jumping onto the bandwagon of the nearest successful ? team.

Quote:
The fact is though that charlton are the nearest premiership team. Most people support a prem team aswell as their local team. Why shouldn't we get coverage of Charlton here for all those interested in prem football.

.....and the national papers have plenty of coverage of the premiership. As does BBC, ITV, SKY......

.....so b****cks to coverage of Charlton and let's concentrate on the local team(s).

I don't agree with the idea of most people supporting a premiership club as well as their local team...thats like the idiots who ask who is your real team when you say you support the Fleet.

The coverage in the Reporter this year has been much better than I can ever remember it being in the past, probably trying to cash in on their sponsorship but they've persuaded me to start buying it again.

Can I seek forgiveness ??

As well as being a Gravesend fan......I support a second division side as well now (cheers !) ....not your la de da premiership lot......

Will i be allowed to renew my season ticket ?

Regards,

grin.gif grin.gif grin.gif grin.gif