Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 18-September 18 )

• Photo
    swd

• Photo
    changesnightspot

• Photo
    MaddoHatter

Photo

Attendance Figures: Oh Dear

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
72 replies to this topic

offline David Holden

David Holden
  • Youth Team Coach
  • Supports: Gravesend & Northfleet
  • Foes: Dartford
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> Dave, Did I read some anti Canvey into that last post. Be careful or you might get picked on. <hr></blockquote><p> images/icons/smile.gif" border="0 I don't think so, I'm not particularly anti-Canvey any more than I'm anti-Aldershot or any other club that thinks that they should finish higher than us in the league. images/icons/smile.gif" border="0 <p>In fact, two of the people who have given me most help with Northfleet on the Net are Ian at Canvey and Tony at Aldershot (thanks lads)<p>The point about the FA Trophy attendance was just to show that there is "The magic of the FA Cup" and that it doesn't often transfer into higher attendances for other games even high profile ones like FA Trophy semi-finals.<p>[ 01 November 2001: This message was edited by: Dave GNFC ]</p>

offline Badger

Badger
  • Reserves Coach
When faced with the 'I support Arsenal' people, I ask them how many times they've been to see them this season. Most people haven't seen their Premiership side for about 8 years or so. I live about 15 minutes walk from White Hart Lane, and some people near me who support Spurs have never even been to a match. I have managed to use this to embarass a few people into going to non league footie, and some becams regulars until the groundhopping phase.

offline SteveP

SteveP
  • Reserves Coach
I think there is a degree of TV football overload, it seems too easy for people to find excuses not to go. We used to average about 800 a game and it is a shame to see this happen, but we definately need to attract more fans. It's hard winning new fans and even harder keeping them.

offline carjam

carjam
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
Steve, if my memory serves me well you either won or nearly won the Ryman a few years back. My side was probably playing in the Southern League then so I wouldn&#8217;t have taken a lot of notice. If the 800 is correct at least you have a chance of getting them back unlike some that never had them in the first place. Only now do I begin to understand the words as your sometimes-portrayed loud chairman.<p>CarJam

offline SteveP

SteveP
  • Reserves Coach
I think you're talking about David Pembroke, he was a chairman who'll stand on the terrace and let the team know what he thinks. Ultimately, whilst he did cause a stir and had his enemies, he did a great deal of good and saved the club from extinction.<p>The chairman is now Tony O'Driscoll. A bit quieter but equally keen to see the good old days come back.

offline carjam

carjam
Well Tony cant be doing a bad job, as you are doing well and have had a few well known faces at the club. Add to that the signing of a Fleet favourite on a contract all you need is the support back. Sad to say that ive witnessed better support on a rainy night at Erith & Belverdere. The chairman must be taking chances.<p>Carjam

offline Badger

Badger
  • Reserves Coach
Looking at Kingstonian's attendance annoys me. They've basically halved since relegation. It's like the interviews with the Barnet 'fans' after they got beaten by Torquay, saying they wouldn't be going again because they couldn't face the idea of non-league football. Bloody glory hunters, the lot of them.

offline carjam

carjam
Barnet vs. Enfield, wasn&#8217;t that the biggest game in non-league a few years back. It just might happen again soon. Which Enfield will it be?<p>Actually I would expect the fans to stay with the club, but only if they are involved in the title race. Barnet are already falling short of that and to be honest, there facilities were never really cutout for anything higher than the Southern League. Might see them down in the Ryman&#8217;s in a couple of seasons.

offline David Holden

David Holden
  • Youth Team Coach
I think that it was Yeovil v Enfield when Yeovil were promoted from the Isthmian League.<p>I read that Barnet look like getting permission to build a new stadium on the cricket ground next door to Underhill, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to come down images/icons/smile.gif" border="0

offline carjam

carjam
See what you are getting at. I was aware of the Yeovil game. I was referring to non-league eagerly awaited derbies, like Dartford v Gravesend for instance or maybe Grays vs. Tilbury. The Enfield, Barnet rivalry was well known.<p>Nearly time for work

offline David Holden

David Holden
  • Youth Team Coach
Have a good day and don't work too hard.<p>You will need your energy to watch the Fleet demolish Chelmsford tomorrow images/icons/smile.gif" border="0

offline carjam

carjam
Just for once I am not confident about that game. Chelmsford are a big outfit with a long history. Add to that our record in the Trophy. Anyway going on, hopefully without causing too much trouble and keeping the subject alive&#8230;&#8230;<p>
Time for work now, a late shift beckons, to perhaps finish this off I have made a list of the teams that I believe are candidates for prolonged life at a higher level. These are Ryman only and I would include the prospect of league soccer in this equation. Please don&#8217;t be upset if I haven&#8217;t mentioned your own team. It&#8217;s nothing personal and it&#8217;s only my opinion. And my opinion means nothing except to myself (expect someone will remind me anyhow). The teams are as follows:<p>Aldershot Town
Sutton Utd
Bedford Town
Gravesend & Northfleet
St Albans City
Hendon
Enfield
Aylesbury Utd
Romford<p>All agree with that. I am willing to argue my points if not.

offline Badger

Badger
  • Reserves Coach
Oh alright, I'll be first to question your choices. Why Enfield? They've got a long way to go before getting a permanent ground, and even then there's no guarantee that the support will come back.

offline SteveP

SteveP
  • Reserves Coach
A few seasons ago I would have agreed with most of your choices. There are two different sets of teams I think you're trying to get to and this is the way I see it:<p>Long term Ryman Prem teams:<p>Hendon
Enfield
Purfleet
Grays
Sutton<p>Conference (within next 4 seasons)/League Potentials (within next 10 years).<p>Aldershot
Aylesbury (won't pretend I like them, but they have a good set up)
St Albans
Chesham (I am talking potential here)
Canvey
Gravesend
Kingstonian
Billericay
Basingstoke<p>And my final list is (only short term, we know how quickly things can turn around) non league's spent forces:<p>Slough<p>Aylesbury (they seem to be bouncing back, but I enjoy putting them in this category.)<p>Marlow (remember David Lay & Co?)<p>Enfield (I remember when Borg was at the helm and they were favourites every year)<p>Bishops Stortford never recovered from dropping to Div one.<p>Yeading, now there's a ground I dislike almost as much as Croydon, they miraculously stayed in the premier for years.<p>Baldock, I think they're extinct.<p>Dulwich, ground and financial problems have made life very difficult for this lot.

offline Badger

Badger
  • Reserves Coach
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SteveP-Chesh:
<strong>Long term Ryman Prem teams:<p>Hendon
Enfield
Purfleet
Grays
Sutton</strong><hr></blockquote><p>By this, do you mean that these are the teams that you see staying at this level for the forseeable future?

offline SteveP

SteveP
  • Reserves Coach
I think Enfield will remain in this league for a long time but in terms of what has happened there and falls from grace, they have the look of a spent force.<p>It is a shame, I liked Southbury Road and some of the epic games I saw there. I hope that we will see the Enfield of old in this league once again and if that Loizou geezer goes and the E's get the ground they deserve, I could see them being big again.

offline Simon BTFC

Simon BTFC
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
Carjam - I think your list is based on history and not on the present, with plenty of former "non-league giants". Romford will struggle to play at a much higher level than they are now, Daggers are now the local non-league team to support. Enfield may never recover from their present mess, unless one of the two clubs can get a permanent home in the area.<p>That said, one team that has the potential to go far is Bedford, they've got a good set-up there and plenty of ambition.

offline SteveP

SteveP
  • Reserves Coach
I saw the plans for Bedford's development, they will be a real force if they get the stadium that's planned and agree they look very organised off the pitch.

offline carjam

carjam
Well amazingly we have all come quite close to agreeing on this one. I picked out Romford because I know that they have been at the pinnacle of non-league before and therefore with some success on the pitch could do so again. Most of their supporters still remember the good times and would eagerly return with some good fortune on the pitch. Keep your eye on them.
I did not include Dagenham as they are not in the Ryman. I discount them simply because Victoria Rd (hope that&#8217;s right) is too cramped.
Enfield I class as the same situation as Romford. Things will get better and I have no doubt they will one-day return along with Wealdstone. Perhaps a joint stadium would be an idea.
Bedford have the potential support to rise through this and the league above quickly if the new stadium is developed.<p>Carjam

offline canfan

canfan
  • Reserves
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Simon BTFC:
<strong>
Do the Canvey fans think that the decision to increase admission prices to £8 has deterred people from coming?</strong><hr></blockquote><p>I think it probably has deterred some and certainly has not done any good for encouraging new fans, my view is though that I still think it is good value when you consider that going to West Ham for instance would set you back in excess of 60 quid which includes travel and food etc.
However the club certainly need to sort out a different approach if we want to persuade new fans through the gates!<p>[ 03 November 2001: This message was edited by: canfan ]<p>[ 03 November 2001: This message was edited by: canfan ]</p>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus