Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Attendance Figures: Oh Dear

Yeah, I remember Enfield with a 1000 at home, and travelling support of 250-300. I won't go over the reasons for the new club Enfield Town FC, who I am now with, as not only is there a website for the club at <A HREF="http://www.enfieldtownfootballclub.co.uk" TARGET=_blank>www.enfieldtownfootballclub.co.uk</A> where the history explains it all, but it will also start up another load of sniping between certain fans of both teams. Give the website a look, it's a good one.

When faced with the 'I support Arsenal' people, I ask them how many times they've been to see them this season. Most people haven't seen their Premiership side for about 8 years or so. I live about 15 minutes walk from White Hart Lane, and some people near me who support Spurs have never even been to a match. I have managed to use this to embarass a few people into going to non league footie, and some becams regulars until the groundhopping phase.

I think there is a degree of TV football overload, it seems too easy for people to find excuses not to go. We used to average about 800 a game and it is a shame to see this happen, but we definately need to attract more fans. It's hard winning new fans and even harder keeping them.

Steve, if my memory serves me well you either won or nearly won the Ryman a few years back. My side was probably playing in the Southern League then so I wouldn’t have taken a lot of notice. If the 800 is correct at least you have a chance of getting them back unlike some that never had them in the first place. Only now do I begin to understand the words as your sometimes-portrayed loud chairman.<p>CarJam

I think you're talking about David Pembroke, he was a chairman who'll stand on the terrace and let the team know what he thinks. Ultimately, whilst he did cause a stir and had his enemies, he did a great deal of good and saved the club from extinction.<p>The chairman is now Tony O'Driscoll. A bit quieter but equally keen to see the good old days come back.

Well Tony cant be doing a bad job, as you are doing well and have had a few well known faces at the club. Add to that the signing of a Fleet favourite on a contract all you need is the support back. Sad to say that ive witnessed better support on a rainy night at Erith & Belverdere. The chairman must be taking chances.<p>Carjam

Looking at Kingstonian's attendance annoys me. They've basically halved since relegation. It's like the interviews with the Barnet 'fans' after they got beaten by Torquay, saying they wouldn't be going again because they couldn't face the idea of non-league football. Bloody glory hunters, the lot of them.

Barnet vs. Enfield, wasn’t that the biggest game in non-league a few years back. It just might happen again soon. Which Enfield will it be?<p>Actually I would expect the fans to stay with the club, but only if they are involved in the title race. Barnet are already falling short of that and to be honest, there facilities were never really cutout for anything higher than the Southern League. Might see them down in the Ryman’s in a couple of seasons.

A few seasons ago I would have agreed with most of your choices. There are two different sets of teams I think you're trying to get to and this is the way I see it:<p>Long term Ryman Prem teams:<p>Hendon

Enfield

Purfleet

Grays

Sutton<p>Conference (within next 4 seasons)/League Potentials (within next 10 years).<p>Aldershot

Aylesbury (won't pretend I like them, but they have a good set up)

St Albans

Chesham (I am talking potential here)

Canvey

Gravesend

Kingstonian

Billericay

Basingstoke<p>And my final list is (only short term, we know how quickly things can turn around) non league's spent forces:<p>Slough<p>Aylesbury (they seem to be bouncing back, but I enjoy putting them in this category.)<p>Marlow (remember David Lay & Co?)<p>Enfield (I remember when Borg was at the helm and they were favourites every year)<p>Bishops Stortford never recovered from dropping to Div one.<p>Yeading, now there's a ground I dislike almost as much as Croydon, they miraculously stayed in the premier for years.<p>Baldock, I think they're extinct.<p>Dulwich, ground and financial problems have made life very difficult for this lot.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SteveP-Chesh:

<strong>Long term Ryman Prem teams:<p>Hendon

Enfield

Purfleet

Grays

Sutton</strong><hr></blockquote><p>By this, do you mean that these are the teams that you see staying at this level for the forseeable future?

I think Enfield will remain in this league for a long time but in terms of what has happened there and falls from grace, they have the look of a spent force.<p>It is a shame, I liked Southbury Road and some of the epic games I saw there. I hope that we will see the Enfield of old in this league once again and if that Loizou geezer goes and the E's get the ground they deserve, I could see them being big again.

Carjam - I think your list is based on history and not on the present, with plenty of former "non-league giants". Romford will struggle to play at a much higher level than they are now, Daggers are now the local non-league team to support. Enfield may never recover from their present mess, unless one of the two clubs can get a permanent home in the area.<p>That said, one team that has the potential to go far is Bedford, they've got a good set-up there and plenty of ambition.

Well amazingly we have all come quite close to agreeing on this one. I picked out Romford because I know that they have been at the pinnacle of non-league before and therefore with some success on the pitch could do so again. Most of their supporters still remember the good times and would eagerly return with some good fortune on the pitch. Keep your eye on them.

I did not include Dagenham as they are not in the Ryman. I discount them simply because Victoria Rd (hope that’s right) is too cramped.

Enfield I class as the same situation as Romford. Things will get better and I have no doubt they will one-day return along with Wealdstone. Perhaps a joint stadium would be an idea.

Bedford have the potential support to rise through this and the league above quickly if the new stadium is developed.<p>Carjam

I think that it was Yeovil v Enfield when Yeovil were promoted from the Isthmian League.<p>I read that Barnet look like getting permission to build a new stadium on the cricket ground next door to Underhill, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to come down smile.gif" border="0

See what you are getting at. I was aware of the Yeovil game. I was referring to non-league eagerly awaited derbies, like Dartford v Gravesend for instance or maybe Grays vs. Tilbury. The Enfield, Barnet rivalry was well known.<p>Nearly time for work

Just for once I am not confident about that game. Chelmsford are a big outfit with a long history. Add to that our record in the Trophy. Anyway going on, hopefully without causing too much trouble and keeping the subject alive……<p>

Time for work now, a late shift beckons, to perhaps finish this off I have made a list of the teams that I believe are candidates for prolonged life at a higher level. These are Ryman only and I would include the prospect of league soccer in this equation. Please don’t be upset if I haven’t mentioned your own team. It’s nothing personal and it’s only my opinion. And my opinion means nothing except to myself (expect someone will remind me anyhow). The teams are as follows:<p>Aldershot Town

Sutton Utd

Bedford Town

Gravesend & Northfleet

St Albans City

Hendon

Enfield

Aylesbury Utd

Romford<p>All agree with that. I am willing to argue my points if not.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Simon BTFC:

<strong>

Do the Canvey fans think that the decision to increase admission prices to £8 has deterred people from coming?</strong><hr></blockquote><p>I think it probably has deterred some and certainly has not done any good for encouraging new fans, my view is though that I still think it is good value when you consider that going to West Ham for instance would set you back in excess of 60 quid which includes travel and food etc.

However the club certainly need to sort out a different approach if we want to persuade new fans through the gates!<p>[ 03 November 2001: This message was edited by: canfan ]<p>[ 03 November 2001: This message was edited by: canfan ]</p>