Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Attendance Figures: Oh Dear

I agree with Andy & Carjams statements.<p>I would think the Shots natural level is the conference/lower half of Div3 & I would imagine the crowds to be around 2,000 regardless of what division we were in unless we were doing particuarly well at the end of a season.<p>My point was that if we continue to just stay in touch all season with the title but never look like winning it, after a few year I think our support will fall, as Andy said the earlier days sense of adventure is wearing off, and revisiting the same old grounds season after season.<p>The team though have to earn promotion, and from what I've seen this season, that so far deserves to be Gravesend.

Bizzarely enough, I think Grays are the best team I have seen us play. Whether they're consistently playing that well or not, I don't know but I thought they looked the most likely to win the league.<p>Grays stand no chance of getting in the coference with their current ground anyway so it will be a battle for second place. I think it will be between Canvey, Gravesend and Shots. Based purely on their results against my team, it would ultimately have to be Canvey.<p>[ 06 November 2001: This message was edited by: SteveP-Chesh ]</p>

The Conference certainly don't want runners up anymore, as stated in their EGM last June. However, this was when they announced their playoffs, and we all know how they went shocked.gif" border="0 <p>"Previously the Conference had accepted the runners-up of the feeder leagues (as in Cheltenham Town) if the champions failed to meet the required ground grading - however, it will now only accept the champions. After next season the Conference will also only accept the same number of teams promoted from the three feeder leagues as there are promoted from the Conference to the Football League."<p>[ 06 November 2001: This message was edited by: Ali (K's) ]</p>

I'm really not sure about the promotion issue. I wouldn't have thought that the FA could stop the Conference from implementing their rather petty attitude. <p>With the setup allowing just the single promotion place, isn't the only requirement to the Conference that it accepts the top placed team - should they meet the requirements?<p>[ 06 November 2001: This message was edited by: Ali (K's) ]</p>

The part I was querying was not the conference's right to only take the top team from each feeder, but their stated position that they are only going to take as many teams as are permitted promotion to the FL.<p>As I understand it, that will mean that only oneclub will be promoted in total, not one from each feeder league.<p>Does anyone have a definite answer on this. <p>Also, the FA have their own proposals on which the feeder clubs have to provide input by the end of this month, so that it can begin, I think, at the start of the 2003/2004 season.

Simon BTFC has already explained that one. Unless your referring to the FA Cup bit. Just in case, it's my belief that some clubs sometimes give out lower attendance figures for FA Cup ties. When they have to give A third of the gate to the FA. Hope that helps. Next season at Canvey try counting the crowd on your fingures when you play your first match and then see whats announced. Use both hands.

I was not aware of the threat of only one club going up. It would cause uproar and disoltion. Not what football needs and endless meaningless games in the conference as there already are in the feeder leagues. <p>Car Jam

A question for Aldershot fans...<p>What were your average attendances back in Div 3, and so on up the league? I know you've always been well supported, but has it increased noticeably with each new promotion? Also, how does it currently compare to the old Aldershot before its demise?

Anyone heard of Chievo?? The village team with a population of 3,500. They're top of Italy's Serie A. They have never spent more than half a million on a player, sometimes it's more about the making of a great team than population or wealth.<p>There is no doubt, that the trend Carjam and Andy are suggesting is common place. But disparities are what football romance is all about, it's great to see teams buck that trend and unfortunately this is becomming less common than it used to be. <p>The 'buck the trend' formula is simple, good people in the club creating a nucleus, like Wimbledon with Kinnear, Jones and Fashanu, they never got relegated when they were the 'crazy gang'. I think the same applies to Taylor's Watford when they went from Div 4 to Div 1, if you have the right people at the start of the process, success comes easier and less expensively.

Chievo ?... actually yes I have heard of them. Saw them in the newspapers. Well done them, lets hope they dont go bust in a few years and lets hope your right. Look forward to meeting Chesham in the European Championship league final in eight or nine years.<p>Badger..loved your website. Only saw Enfield mentioned once. When are you reforming the Pistols.<p>CarJam

Steve P,

I agree - I remember going to Plough Lane the year Wimbledon were elected to the league to see them play the Shots and it was great to see them rise to the Premier. Similarly with Watford. The problem is always staying there. In fact, I think Wimbledon's greatest achievement was not winning the cup or getting to the Old Division 1 - but staying there.<p>Badger,

Aldershot's average attendance in Ryman Div 3 was not far off 2,000 - much the same as it is today. Arguably the away support was bigger in the first couple of years (1,500 taken to Chertsey; 1,000 to Atherton (Wigan) for an F A Vase match. In the early days, we were all on a great adventure and something of that Spirit has been lost.

As a league club in the final few years we weren't particularly well supported. in 1986/87 when we were promoted via the Play-Offs the highest regular season crowd was 3,100. Our final gate in Ryman Division 1 was over 4,100. My guess is that if we are in with a decent shout of the championship come Easter we may well get 4,000 - 5,000 crowds again.<p>If we get promoted and are mid-table conference, I think our crowds will remain about 2,000.