Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Harefield United....

So was anybody at Harefield United v Kentish Town on Saturday, I'm assuming that the Prodigal Son didn't make his eagerly awaited return for Kentish Town taking into account their heavy defeat

I was

He did

Shame the Prodigal Son wasnt a keeper.......................wheres that Willo when you need him? smilewinkgrin.gif

Sunning himself on the south coast or sitting behind a desk looking as if his busy :coffee (2): :chat: :452:

See you Thursday Phoinex!

Looking forward to meeting you NeutralFan...See you Thurday. 451.gif

NF will be to busy training to have a gossip or maybe he will get another call up into the 1st Team!!!!

See you Thursday Phoinex!

Looking forward to meeting you NeutralFan...See you Thurday. 451.gif

NF will be to busy training to have a gossip or maybe he will get another call up into the 1st Team!!!!

Yep, I'm off the burgers at the moment... even resisting temptation for a pint or two after training!

You can probably tell that I am kicking my heels this afternoon, I've unearthed this report from December 2004 which may well be of interest:

Saturday 11h December 2004, 3pm

Harefield Utd (0) 1 AFC Sudbury (1) 3

FA Vase Rd 3; Attendance: 212; Programme: £1 for 60 pages.

The history of the FA Vase throws up some wonderful memories plus names of clubs who have excelled in this, the most fascinating of all FA competitions. Billericay Town, Colne Dynamoes, Halesowen Town, Brigg Town and Tiverton Town to name but a few. And then of course there is AFC Sudbury and their previous incarnation of Sudbury Town. Despite having never won the competition, Sudbury first made the final back in 1989 and it was on this run that my love affair with Sudbury and the Vase begun when I attended a third round tie at the old Hounslow club. Numerous quarter and semi-final appearances later plus runners-up medals in the past two seasons and the name of AFC Sudbury is as familiar to the FA Vase as Real Madrid is to the European Cup. Today the competition favourites from the sleepy Suffolk market town were back on the familiar trail of Vase glory, this time against Middlesex's oldest club Harefield United.

There has been much criticism levelled at Sudbury over the past few years regarding their supposed 'lack of ambition' and the club's decision to remain in the Eastern Counties League (which they have now won four times on the bounce). Much of this comes from fellow ECL clubs who feel that Sudbury's absolute dominance is scuppering any chance they have of progression. However one has only to look at Sudbury's ill-fated and costly seven year Southern League adventure in the mid-90's to understand why the club are apprehensive about moving on. Perhaps the criticising clubs should also remember that when Sudbury come to town, average attendances are normally tripled. Whilst I sympathise with both sides of this ongoing argument, I often wonder whether there is another factor in this equation – are AFC Sudbury simply holding out for that elusive first Vase before moving up and with it, into the FA Trophy? Certainly the FA Vase is of great importance not just to the club but the tight-knit community of the town itself. Since that first appearance in the final, Vase weekends come with an indescribable magic and optimism and are something for the whole town to talk about and look forward to. As the club progresses into the later rounds, more and more folks get involved and it is not unusual to see yellow & blue window displays and good luck banners adorning the streets in the town centre. If and when Sudbury do finally bring the Vase back to Suffolk, I swear everyone within a ten mile radius of the town will be out to greet them.

A drive down the M11, westbound on the M25 before turning off at junction 17 for Maple Cross and Harefield and I arrived at Preston Park 90 minutes before kick-off. Even this early in the day, the ground and surrounding streets were awash with yellow and blue hats, scarves and the odd 'AFC Sudbury: FA Vase Final' t-shirt despite temperatures being close to freezing. Into the spacious clubhouse the familiar Suffolk banter filled the smoky air along with the occasional raucous ode to their team and it's various players. By kick-off, 85% of the crowd was from Sudbury. On a rare sun-splashed December day, it was the Hares of Harefield who began the brighter of the two forcing their fancied visitors into a number of early mistakes. With ex-Crewe keeper Dean Greygoose between the sticks and a virtually impenetrable back four which has conceded only nine goals in 19 league matches this term, Harefield knew that this would be the toughest game they had played this season. That said, this is a side who had yet to lose themselves in the South Midlands League and perhaps it was no great surprise when they almost took the lead after ten minutes. Craig Totton found the ball at his feet only yards from the goal but unopposed, slashed the ball wide. Harefield were made to pay for missed chances on 38 minutes when a cleverly worked free-kick from Lee Owen found David Head at the back post and he volleyed into the opposite corner. A deafening noise erupted around the ground and a horse in the neighbouring paddock ran in fear of his life.

At half-time, I was just about to go and get a bite to eat from the club when a young girl of no more than seven come round with a basket of filled rolls and drinks. 'Got any beer in there, sweetheart?' chortled the Sudbury fans to the youngster's great delight. With roll in hand, I decided to nip through a gate in the fence and out into the countryside beyond to try and get a photo of the ground from a more unusual angle. This proved to be a bad move as I dropped my sarnie in a ditch then got my shoe caught up in a low-lying barbwire fence trying to retrieve it. This slapstick debacle culminated in me falling flat on my face into a pile of mud...or worse. With new coat streaked with mud, I settled down in the main stand for a superb second half. Sudbury could have been 4-0 up by the 60th minute but some over-elaborate football round the the Hares goalmouth gave the home side the chance to get back into the game. And they came oh so close on a number of occasions before Sudbury substitute Sam Banya picked up the ball in his own half and with the grace of a elephant, loped through the Harefield defence before hammering home a daisy-cutter from fully 30 yards. A Wonderful goal. Banya had only came on a few minutes before his goal and a supporter behind the Harefield goal had shouted at their keeper 'You're in trouble now!' How right he was. Minutes later Gilbert Nuako's back pass was intercepted by Steve Day who curled the ball home for 3-0. With reports already telephoned through to newspapers, five minutes into injury time Alex Brown headed a thoroughly deserved consolation for Harefield. Sudbury's latest Vase journey is well and truly underway but the question remains, will this be their year at last?

Harefield's immaculate Preston Park is a thing of real beauty. Everything from the picket-style perimeter fencing to the club name boards and advertising hoardings have been erected with a meticulous eye for detail which gives the whole place a lovely balance and symmetry. For whoever it is who is responsible for it's upkeep, this must be a real labour of love – no sign of any flaking paint, paths swept and clean and even the pitch has been neatly cut off around the edges where it meets a foot wide cinder track. The club dealt with the large numbers superbly I thought and hopefully made a little profit from the £5 admission charged. A 60 page programme which contained eight duplicated pages plus around 30 pages of ads was a little disappointing but all in all, this was another exceptional day of football. Roll on Wolves v the Alex next Saturday!

You can probably tell that I am kicking my heels this afternoon, I've unearthed this report from December 2004 which may well be of interest:

Saturday 11h December 2004, 3pm

Harefield Utd (0) 1 AFC Sudbury (1) 3

FA Vase Rd 3; Attendance: 212; Programme: £1 for 60 pages.

The history of the FA Vase throws up some wonderful memories plus names of clubs who have excelled in this, the most fascinating of all FA competitions. Billericay Town, Colne Dynamoes, Halesowen Town, Brigg Town and Tiverton Town to name but a few. And then of course there is AFC Sudbury and their previous incarnation of Sudbury Town. Despite having never won the competition, Sudbury first made the final back in 1989 and it was on this run that my love affair with Sudbury and the Vase begun when I attended a third round tie at the old Hounslow club. Numerous quarter and semi-final appearances later plus runners-up medals in the past two seasons and the name of AFC Sudbury is as familiar to the FA Vase as Real Madrid is to the European Cup. Today the competition favourites from the sleepy Suffolk market town were back on the familiar trail of Vase glory, this time against Middlesex's oldest club Harefield United.

There has been much criticism levelled at Sudbury over the past few years regarding their supposed 'lack of ambition' and the club's decision to remain in the Eastern Counties League (which they have now won four times on the bounce). Much of this comes from fellow ECL clubs who feel that Sudbury's absolute dominance is scuppering any chance they have of progression. However one has only to look at Sudbury's ill-fated and costly seven year Southern League adventure in the mid-90's to understand why the club are apprehensive about moving on. Perhaps the criticising clubs should also remember that when Sudbury come to town, average attendances are normally tripled. Whilst I sympathise with both sides of this ongoing argument, I often wonder whether there is another factor in this equation – are AFC Sudbury simply holding out for that elusive first Vase before moving up and with it, into the FA Trophy? Certainly the FA Vase is of great importance not just to the club but the tight-knit community of the town itself. Since that first appearance in the final, Vase weekends come with an indescribable magic and optimism and are something for the whole town to talk about and look forward to. As the club progresses into the later rounds, more and more folks get involved and it is not unusual to see yellow & blue window displays and good luck banners adorning the streets in the town centre. If and when Sudbury do finally bring the Vase back to Suffolk, I swear everyone within a ten mile radius of the town will be out to greet them.

A drive down the M11, westbound on the M25 before turning off at junction 17 for Maple Cross and Harefield and I arrived at Preston Park 90 minutes before kick-off. Even this early in the day, the ground and surrounding streets were awash with yellow and blue hats, scarves and the odd 'AFC Sudbury: FA Vase Final' t-shirt despite temperatures being close to freezing. Into the spacious clubhouse the familiar Suffolk banter filled the smoky air along with the occasional raucous ode to their team and it's various players. By kick-off, 85% of the crowd was from Sudbury. On a rare sun-splashed December day, it was the Hares of Harefield who began the brighter of the two forcing their fancied visitors into a number of early mistakes. With ex-Crewe keeper Dean Greygoose between the sticks and a virtually impenetrable back four which has conceded only nine goals in 19 league matches this term, Harefield knew that this would be the toughest game they had played this season. That said, this is a side who had yet to lose themselves in the South Midlands League and perhaps it was no great surprise when they almost took the lead after ten minutes. Craig Totton found the ball at his feet only yards from the goal but unopposed, slashed the ball wide. Harefield were made to pay for missed chances on 38 minutes when a cleverly worked free-kick from Lee Owen found David Head at the back post and he volleyed into the opposite corner. A deafening noise erupted around the ground and a horse in the neighbouring paddock ran in fear of his life.

At half-time, I was just about to go and get a bite to eat from the club when a young girl of no more than seven come round with a basket of filled rolls and drinks. 'Got any beer in there, sweetheart?' chortled the Sudbury fans to the youngster's great delight. With roll in hand, I decided to nip through a gate in the fence and out into the countryside beyond to try and get a photo of the ground from a more unusual angle. This proved to be a bad move as I dropped my sarnie in a ditch then got my shoe caught up in a low-lying barbwire fence trying to retrieve it. This slapstick debacle culminated in me falling flat on my face into a pile of mud...or worse. With new coat streaked with mud, I settled down in the main stand for a superb second half. Sudbury could have been 4-0 up by the 60th minute but some over-elaborate football round the the Hares goalmouth gave the home side the chance to get back into the game. And they came oh so close on a number of occasions before Sudbury substitute Sam Banya picked up the ball in his own half and with the grace of a elephant, loped through the Harefield defence before hammering home a daisy-cutter from fully 30 yards. A Wonderful goal. Banya had only came on a few minutes before his goal and a supporter behind the Harefield goal had shouted at their keeper 'You're in trouble now!' How right he was. Minutes later Gilbert Nuako's back pass was intercepted by Steve Day who curled the ball home for 3-0. With reports already telephoned through to newspapers, five minutes into injury time Alex Brown headed a thoroughly deserved consolation for Harefield. Sudbury's latest Vase journey is well and truly underway but the question remains, will this be their year at last?

Harefield's immaculate Preston Park is a thing of real beauty. Everything from the picket-style perimeter fencing to the club name boards and advertising hoardings have been erected with a meticulous eye for detail which gives the whole place a lovely balance and symmetry. For whoever it is who is responsible for it's upkeep, this must be a real labour of love – no sign of any flaking paint, paths swept and clean and even the pitch has been neatly cut off around the edges where it meets a foot wide cinder track. The club dealt with the large numbers superbly I thought and hopefully made a little profit from the £5 admission charged. A 60 page programme which contained eight duplicated pages plus around 30 pages of ads was a little disappointing but all in all, this was another exceptional day of football. Roll on Wolves v the Alex next Saturday!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to the Hares yesterday, losing tamely at home to Kingsbury London Tigers

What happened to the Hares yesterday, losing tamely at home to Kingsbury London Tigers

trying not to sound like sour grapes, but yet another referee that goes to make a decsion to book a player suddenly notices he had already booked him so changes his mind !!! wags his finger and does nothing.

guess who scores the killer goal ??

Other than this the hares missed several great chances but came up against a very determined Kingsbury team. ALL 11 OF THEM!!

:angry:

Back on track tuesday thou easy 2-0 victory over Biggleswade Utd.

Big game saturday Chalfont away lets see what the leaders are rearly like....

• 3 months later...

Some top Harefield players have been given the opportunity of football at a higher level with moves to Walton Casuals of the Isthmian South.......not so good for the Hares but they'll do really well in that league.

I'm sure the question has been asked and answered before, but why are there no play-offs in this league, it would surely make the league so much more exciting and financially rewarding?

Also, what happened to teams like Chelsea and QPR playing in the County (Middx) Cups. I know they would only send youth/reserve players but it would be another way of getting people in. Harefield v Chelsea sounds excellent.

Edgware played Chelsea in the Middx. Charity Cup final in the early 90's and there were quite a few big names playing.....and Ken Bates in the crowd leading the singing. Are they all a bit precious now?

I'm sure the question has been asked and answered before, but why are there no play-offs in this league, it would surely make the league so much more exciting and financially rewarding?

I think the problem at Step 5 is that there is nothing to play for !! With only 1 team to be promoted I can't see extra games at the end of long season being welcomed without the reward of promotion.

Clubs often end up with 3 or 4 games a week in April if we've had a season of bad weather & now there is the FA imposed 30th April deadline to finish all games.

We're lucky in Herts with Watford, Barnet & Stevenage all fielding sides in the Herts Senior Challenge Cup

Edited by tringarmy

Because then the FA & Ryman league would find it harder to reprieve teams that have been crap all season rather than reward teams that have been in good form.

Sorry tringarmy, I didn't make my question clear. Why can't they have two promotion places with the play-offs for second place? These would attract excellent crowds.

Samuelsmiles - I assume you are referring to the SSML, it's a good idea in principle but even if it were to be implemented it would still rule out Harefield United getting promotion as they will always be the bridesmaid, never the bride

Sorry tringarmy, I didn't make my question clear. Why can't they have two promotion places with the play-offs for second place? These would attract excellent crowds.

With the current pyramid set up it would mean relegating the bottom 6 of each Step 4 league (and allocating 2 to each feeder league if those clubs fit into the correct region.) Based upon last season we could have had Aylesbury United, Barton Rovers, Beaconfield SYCOB & AFC Hayes coming into the Prem this year - they seem to have enough problems trying to relegate 1 each year at the moment let alone 6!

Play offs give more clubs something to play for & I'm sure would draw decent crowds. Always cruel on the 2nd place team but you know the rules at the start of the season

With the current pyramid set up it would mean relegating the bottom 6 of each Step 4 league (and allocating 2 to each feeder league if those clubs fit into the correct region.) Based upon last season we could have had Aylesbury United, Barton Rovers, Beaconfield SYCOB & AFC Hayes coming into the Prem this year - they seem to have enough problems trying to relegate 1 each year at the moment let alone 6!

Play offs give more clubs something to play for & I'm sure would draw decent crowds. Always cruel on the 2nd place team but you know the rules at the start of the season

What about a play off cup? 2nd plays 5th @ home and 3rd plays 4th @ home with the winners playing in the cup final at a neutral ground.Would give teams something to play for further down the table untill the last game of the season.I know its extra games but with a chance to win a cup for an extra 2 games gives plenty of teams the opportunity to keep their season alive.

Just an idea :-)

Because then the FA & Ryman league would find it harder to reprieve teams that have been crap all season rather than reward teams that have been in good form.

harsh syd. it may seem that way but the truth is not all clubs actually want to or can make that leap into step 4 and beyond. just look further north if you want prime examples. step 5 to 4 is a natural break in the system in my view and that seems to suit most clubs fine. i agree though that 2nd placed clubs at step 5 should automatically be in the pool for promotion if the champions hadn't applied or got the grade. with some higher echelon clubs finding themselves in financial difficulty the pool available to steps 3 and 4 increases from above as well and despite league rules, clubs like grays can still force their way in.

as for harefield, they have the infrastucture but do they actually have the setup or the will to dabble with step 4 again? we'll see again this season i suppose.