Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Wealdstone Tonight

NOW HOLD ON!!!

I know i wasn't there Tuesday night but i can't help thinking that all this 'Sl*ggin' off' Ricky isn't going to help his confidence at all.

Goalkeepers aren't normal footballers, they are a breed of their own.

Goalkeepers make mistakes. you look at David James, (or us older ones, Bruce Grobberlaar). One day he will make saves you would think are impossible. The next, come running out like a lunatic and throw the game away. or drop a cross that even your granny could hold on to.

another keeper is Paul Robinson. He made one mistake for England, which wasn't completely his fault. Gets hounded by everyone from the terraces, loses his confidence and his careers over.

So come on boys, lets get behind him and prey he has more good days than bad.

Originally Posted By: Diddy's Big Bro
NOW HOLD ON!!!
I know i wasn't there Tuesday night but i can't help thinking that all this 'Sl*ggin' off' Ricky isn't going to help his confidence at all.
Goalkeepers aren't normal footballers, they are a breed of their own.
Goalkeepers make mistakes. you look at David James, (or us older ones, Bruce Grobberlaar). One day he will make saves you would think are impossible. The next, come running out like a lunatic and throw the game away. or drop a cross that even your granny could hold on to.
another keeper is Paul Robinson. He made one mistake for England, which wasn't completely his fault. Gets hounded by everyone from the terraces, loses his confidence and his careers over.
So come on boys, lets get behind him and prey he has more good days than bad.

applause Quality shout DBB, Bruce was one of my hero's and still is. Look at the goal Robinson conceeded against Croatia, it bugs me so much that he got hounded for that goal. Just as he was about to kick the ball, it hits a bobble and goes over his foot, f**k all he could do except watch it go in. I can't believe how so many people blame him for that goal. Spurs fans must be over the moon with his replacement grin

Im not slagging ricky off at all??? I agree in the future he

may well become a decent keeper but at the moment hes not good

enough in my opinion for what its worth!

I take it you also didnt see the mistakes against tonbridge

and hendon which at this level just arent acceptable.If we have

ambitions of the playoffs we need someone with experience

pressence and the confidence of the defense.Which i know if i was still playing at the back id be wary of him to say the least.

Basically in my opinion (which doesnt really count for much!)

the cons out-weigh the pros where as with david james the pros

far out weigh the cons.But you cant really compare ricky to james and grobberlaar!

im not sure if people have noticed, maybe im the only one, but we are near the top of the league in our first season. EVERY single player that has taken to the field in a Canvey shirt HAS proved they are good enough for this level. of course they are going to make mistakes, if they didn

Originally Posted By: gavin
Although i thought ricky did well when he came on, theres
been a few times this season ive thought hes done well i remember a great early save away to maidstone.However i cant
forget such things like what he did against tonbridge/hendon
they were criminal.I know his young and inexperienced but thats
no excuse youre either good enough or not age is irrelevent.

If mel doesnt want to /cant be no 1 then i hope we bring
someone in if possible as from what ive seen rickys not ready
yet.

careful what you put on here Gavin concerning our young goalkeeper cos you'll get M.O.B. ranting and raving again. I totally agree with your views, I've posted similar comments a few weeks ago. We do need a man with more experience between the sticks if we are to remain in top 8 or so.

EVERY single player that has taken to the field in a Canvey shirt HAS proved they are good enough for this level.

No they havent apart from the more senior players this is the highest a lot of the younger

players have played at such as patten,west,gordon,j.curran,corbell,antoine and wiseman.They

have made a brilliant start but theres a long way to go till their proven at this level.

And in the same instance has also proved he can be a weak link as a keeper you dont want

thrills and spills just consistent.The best compliment a keeper can receive is for someone to say after a game i didnt even notice him similar to when a ref has a good game they go

unnoticed.

I agree but there is allways room for improvement and we much push on.praise them when the

seasons finished and were in the play-offs!

Players get out what they put in, the harder they work the less mistakes they make. His mistakes come from a lack of concentration and application to his game. Personally I think he should thank batchy for perservering with him for so long when he could easily go out and find another keeper who is willing to work hard

it is proof they are good enough for this level in the fact they are playing at this level and succeeding. why on earth would you want to make changes to a squad that is doing better than any of us expected.

your comments about a keeper going unnoticed are utter crap. if a keeper goes unnoticed it means the other team doesnt attack

how about rather than moaning about our players praise them. rather than point out the negatives, except you are watching a team that is performing above its expected level

Originally Posted By: ken
your comments about a keeper going unnoticed are utter crap. if a keeper goes unnoticed it means the other team doesnt attack

how about rather than moaning about our players praise them. rather than point out the negatives, except you are watching a team that is performing above its expected level

[****!!****] great shout Ken, annoys me when people pick negatives out of everything...even the positives. Get behind the team and give them praise, not pick them apart for the things they may have done wrong.

Playing at this level and succeeding?You say that after 13

league games!What exactly have we succeeded?Its been a fantastic start but thats it we need to push on and keep improving not stand still.

As for my comments about a keeper going unnoticed well i quite obviously didnt mean that literally!!!But ill spell it out what i meant was that no one comments on the keeper and he

just gos about his business almost mechanically.But that comes

from experience.

I find that by pointing out the negatives is the best way to improve but im a cynical old git.But im certainly not moaning/slagging of players just conveying my opinion for what its

worth.I agree praise is needed and in my previous posts ive praised numerous players including

patten who has been a revelation.Crow has been superb as has moore gordon and j curran

Can i just say that if a player is constantly cocking up then the thing he needs is to know hes done wrong and where to improve. We may sound like we are having a moan but it's only because we care and we want them to improve in that area.

If we praise them for it and ignore what they are doing wrong then they will never learn.

I agree that Ricky made massive mistakes against Tonbridge and Hendon. At the time I was as annoyed with him as anybody, and did feel that his concentration was letting him down. However, as Ken said, for us to be where we are is a massive testament to the ability and spirit of the squad, who between them have so far exceeded all expectations.

At the end of the day, you give me an example of any bad games Ricky has had, and I reckon I can give you twice as many good ones.

Originally Posted By: Mini Goose
Can i just say that if a player is constantly cocking up then the thing he needs is to know hes done wrong

i think they know when they have made a mistake, im fairly sure they dont think "oh what a wonderful game that was, but wait a minute someone on a forum says it wasnt. oh the error of my ways"

Regardless of how good or bad Ricky is, surely he will only improve if he plays and doesn't sit warming the bench.

If he's good enough he plays, if he's not........well we'll worry about that when the time comes.(That will surely be John Batch's decision)

Having said that though, when funds are available I think we need an additional keeper for when either Ricky is not available or Mel finally retires.

Originally Posted By: ken
Can i just say that if a player is constantly cocking up then the thing he needs is to know hes done wrong

i think they know when they have made a mistake, im fairly sure they dont think "oh what a wonderful game that was, but wait a minute someone on a forum says it wasnt. oh the error of my ways"

No need for sarcasm Ken, I'm just saying that if a player is cocking up all the time then he needs to know he can't get away with it. If its comming from the terraces everytime hes doing wrong then i dare say they will be thinking about what theyve done wrong alot more.

i think he has gone to concord, i have heard that Jeff has sent a few players there

and there really was a need for sarcasm. i hardly think Rick makes mistakes ALL the time and as pointed out in an earlier goalkeeping is all about confidence so people telling him he has mucked up when he already knows isnt going to improve his performance it will make it worse. also why will he care when all he gets is abuse and no praise. far more often than not Ricky is a quality keeper. he doesn

I wasn't singling out Wiseman Ken. I'm saying in general.
Players will learn from this. At the end of the day it's football and people get annoyed when its the same players making the same mistakes each week. And im not saying any player in general.

I have no problem with people moaning when a player makes mistakes week in week out - even though the manager is obviously going to speak to the player as well - but its when people never seem to be happy. We are much higher in the league than anyone would have asked for at the start of the season and, regardless of what anyone has said, I think this is a massive achievement even this early into the campaign.

We have beaten some quality teams and haven't played 'badly' that often. Yet, people are still managing to find holes in every player. We should be praising them not posting things behind their backs saying that they are not playing well. How do you think this makes them feel? "Oh we won today, but still those supporters aren't happy. What's the point in playing for the club if all they ever do is moan at us?". I for one would be really pissed off with it.

So let's just move on, yeah? And look forward to the rest of the season. Let's get behind the lads and show them how much we appreciate them. We don't have the biggest of budgets, and we don't have the best of squads - but I'm going to be very [****!!****] happy if we keep playing the way we are! I take my hats off to the players (and management team) for what they have done so far. Each and EVERY one of them.