Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

When 90 mins is up!

Are there any refs out there.

I always thought that a ref was in control of affairs even after the final whistle, therefore I cannot understand how some recent incidents have been dealt with.

Take the Joe Cole thing at Bolton. Surley if he had tried to pull Mendy's head off during the game he would have been red carded. So why could the ref not do the same after the final whistle. It would have saved the FA enquiry etc and he would heave got the same treatment as Bolton's Levelle. Ok, if the police had also wanted to get involved then that is down to them and dealt with outside of football.

It was no uncommon in days gone by for players to be sent off after the game for incidents in the tunnel. Nowadays, players giving official abuse after the game just get reported instead of cautioned or sent off.

Sombody once told me that the ref was in charge from the moment he/she/it entered the ground the the moment they left.

You are absolutely correct Boroman.

The ref has total control (?) from the moment he arrives to when he leaves the ground.

A good ref will/should visit both home and away dressing rooms before the game, and inform the players of what he expects. I fear that rarely happens now.

Trouble is, the F.A. is a law unto itself and tries to interfere too much. Refs now appear to be puppets rather than officials !

Sad but true !!

Sorry lads but what a load of cobblers laying off on to the ref!s the management role in controlling its players

Clough,Shankly,Nicholson,Revie, None of these or others needed a ref to control their players

Todays management are bottle jobs IE look at Wengar who never has sight of his own players when brutal action is on the menu

The clubs are the employers and should both educate and take responsibility for the control of their employees

If you believe the ref is responsible then Ars-sol did not look over his shoulder to make certain he hit the target when the swing of the elbow followed

IE a perfect example of management being the cowards they are in todays world of "sport"

I have not reffed for 10 odd years but this is how it was. There may be a little confusion arising from the terminolgy. The ref is indeed in control from start to finsih - even longer if for example a player abuses him on the bus on the way home, and if it is a football related mater.

However, a red or yellow card is only shown to a player on th efield of play during the game. Not to officials, coaches etc on the bench (some refs got this wrong) or to players in the tunnel, for example.

The incident is reported by the ref to the appropriate body (county FA or the FA as applicable) by the ref in the same manner and on the same form as a card incident, hence it is referred to as being "reported". The punishments and so on are the same. But the public will not see a card being waved about.

I think we are "splitting hairs" a bit here.

Ok they are instructed not to waive a card about, but if as you say the punishment is effectivley the same, then why do the FA take it through a seperate process. Example the Cole and Levelle thing. They should heave both been dealt with by the ame body in the same manner.

As for Manager's taking responsibility, I agree but that still doesn't mean the ref should not act on what he sees. How could Wenger take resposibility, he is French and a gooner.

Quote:

IE a perfect example of management being the cowards they are in todays world of "sport"

Agreed but not as good an example as the Cantona kung fu kick at a spectator.
How much better would Manchester Uniteds reputation be now if they had kicked the b*st*rd out?
Unfortunately players are allowed to get away with anything unless like Jap Staam they insult the manager which is obviously a far worse offence than common assault.

I would have thought they they were, perhaps you can enlighten me if otherwise. Provided the referee reported it of course.

No the levelle thing was dealt was straight away, meaning he misses end of season, the Cole thing was being dealt with seperatley because it was reported differently. The hearing is not till end of season therefore West Ham have an advantage over Bolton in the relegation battle.

If the ref had sent him off in the normal manner, this may not have happened.

Could not agree more but the cynics at Man/U and Woolwich despite being establishment pets do more damage to the game than all the other sides put together

For as long as they get away with all their tricks we continue to rear youngsters with complete contempt for authority