Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

hornchurch expectations

urchinman1961

The striking thing is the fall from 610 to the 475 of last season.

This may be accounted for by the fact that we went belly up - but I suspect that 610 is bolstered by 2 big games - Darlo & Tranmere. But we were also getting 1100 for the mid week game v Canvey as I recall.

I honestly think that you have to really break in to the local community. You had 2000 odd local people down there the other week - they're in your ground - at that point you have to try to get them to come back - perhaps by printing the next home fixture on a flyer - or the back of the ticket - because everyone had one.

They might not all buy a programme.

Will they come to a Saturday game 2 weeks later? Maybe - but I'd sugest it's going cold.

The club doesn't have a very high profile on the local community. There's a real case for getting a monthly piece in the Resident's Association newsletter because it's going to 12.000 local homes every month.

The piece in there 6 years ago is why I was there last night...

There's now a notice board in the Upminster town centre - stick something in there?

Originally Posted By: global
The striking thing is the fall from 610 to the 475 of last season.

This may be accounted for by the fact that we went belly up - but I suspect that 610 is bolstered by 2 big games - Darlo & Tranmere. But we were also getting 1100 for the mid week game v Canvey as I recall.

I honestly think that you have to really break in to the local community. You had 2000 odd local people down there the other week - they're in your ground - at that point you have to try to get them to come back - perhaps by printing the next home fixture on a flyer - or the back of the ticket - because everyone had one.

They might not all buy a programme.

Will they come to a Saturday game 2 weeks later? Maybe - but I'd sugest it's going cold.

The club doesn't have a very high profile on the local community. There's a real case for getting a monthly piece in the Resident's Association newsletter because it's going to 12.000 local homes every month.

The piece in there 6 years ago is why I was there last night...

There's now a notice board in the Upminster town centre - stick something in there?

darlo and tranmere were cup games and they do not count in the average attendances...no cup ties do..

the 610 average in the connie south is relative to wages paid to players and success on the field..we are better off now with 400 plus.....

I agree we could do a lot of things to increase attendances but how much can a very few people actually do...?

great ideas guys and more than welcome.....come down and help us...!

good i'm glad this thread has gotta response,i cant help it but i just feel for the club admittedly i'm strugglin for the away games due to work commitments but i would be lost without this club but every community has or needs a footie club it's a way of bringin everybody together,maybe i'm just bein selfish but it's just the way i feel and i knew not a sausage 5 seasons ago but things change dont they and lets be honest win lose or draw it's still good value for moneycool

Interesting discussion this. Thinnk the realisation is (and most of the people going to Hx games every week do realise) that Hornchurch are and always will be a non-league club that should never set it's expectations too high. And I'm pretty sure that's exactly how you guys want it to remain.

I've been going to 5/6 home games each season for about the last 20 years, from the days of Stuart Dukes to Alan Brett (and Hasbeen!) up until now. Unfortunately the only way to really build fanbase is with success on the pitch. It seems that success on the pitch is ultimately derived from cash being put into football clubs. In my opinion any cash invested in a football club is gone forever (but some may have differing opinions) so who wants to invest seriously with the amount of money that can actually make a big difference. But then I totally accept that for some it's a passion and they wouldn't want to spend their money any other way.

I went to the Peterborough game and thought that for 12 squid it was superb value for money for a 1st round proper cup tie against such opposition.

I reckon be happy with the league you're in, you'll have good days and bad days and just hope the club never changes too much, I'm sure it won't...

UM, I doubt if Ron Ower would have much interest mate but his son does look like a goat

doah

An interesting subject and debate.

Ryman Premier is Ok for now, but if the club were to show no ambition, then surely supporters would lose interest once we get knocked out of cups.

Do people who went in the Connie South year have any regrets?

I would like to see how far we could go, provided it isn't bankrolled by one source.

Hardly any clubs operate at a profit and are backed by someone.

Fans often ask too much of these people and constantly ask Chairman to put their hand in their pocket.

I would like to have a crack at Connie South in the next 2 years.

And to draw Leyton Orient in The F A Cup.

I Remember from the day that hornchurch play tranmere and lost 1 and the coverage we got was good and etc and from that day on to the day we went bust and for me being at school Hornchurch was the talk of south essex for football fans and people was talking more about hornchurch than dagenham. I remember at school when daggers fans were shocked that the likes of matthews and etc went to hornchurch and seeing posters around the dagenham area advertising hx and people talking about the club and etc. I think if we ever get some money from some investors in the future I cant see why we cant ever progress we also had 800 attendence which in todays attendences at con south clubs would be crying for attendences like that in that league

about 4 years ago did hornchurch have a big banner tied to the railings on the Bell Corner? Or am i thinking of the cricket because i know they have one.

If we could get one on there it will advise to a lot of people and those driving past will be able to see it.

All it will need to say is something like "AFC Hornchurch at home today. KO 3pm"

I've only been coming for 3 and a half seasons and it's been a Rollercoaster of a ride.

But i would rather have the odd promotion and relegation than mid table mediocrity (Probably spelt that wrong)

At the end of the day though, i want a healthy club, and will follow them no matter what league we're in.

We need to find our USP - our Unique Selling Point. From my perspective, the location of the club and the quality of the facilties are what might get people to come, and we should push those in any advertising. The friendliness of the welcome and the quality of the football is what will make them stay - Hornchurch is a special club!! Maybe we could do something on a Sunday to bring the locals in, like a Fun Day?? I'd be prepared to put time into that.

Good idea Annie - of course, there are issues with CRB ckecks, H&S etc when you have kids around which can complicate things, but it's not insurmountable! The main thing would be to make sure it didn't cost the club more money than it potentially generated. We'd all have to chip in our time and expertise to help out and make it happen.