Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island 1-3 Harlow Town

Matt H

For what it's worth I thought I'd give my views on yesterday's game.

From the kick-off you could tell Harlow were here to take the game to Canvey, seeing their league position before the match you can see why.

Canvey eventually settled but weren't allowed to play their passing style of football and had to resort to long balls from defence, into a lightweight midfield that were (legitimately) bullied off the ball many times with next to nothing making it to the feet of our forwards.

This carried on for 90 minutes and Canvey looking like they were lacking basic ball skills put themselves under pressure by failing to get their clearances to a yellow shirt or going for the second balls.

Harlow had more fight and desire to make an impact on the game than Canvey. That's not to say Canvey didn't have any because when they played it on the floor they looked good. Tarkan and Ainsley in bringing the ball forward from their full-back positions more often that not beat their man, however rather than delivering the ball deep into the opposing penalty area they would square to either Dobinson, Edwards or Fanibuyan and the momentum was lost as by the time Harlow had managed to get enough men behind the ball. Edwards and Dobinson did the simple stuff well - Putting balls out to the wings, which often worked or attempting a defence splitting pass to Curran or Antoine, which usually didn't. The Leons showed good passing and movement on and off the ball to create some great build-up play. Antoine dropping back to play deep and feed Curran, he was a beast in the air too. Gordon's crosses always looked dangerous and he switched sides well with Fanibuyan to really get stuck in. Canvey though were lacking the killer instinct up front, their Goalkeeper only had one point-blank range shot to save late in the first half and wasn't troubled at all after the interval.

For the first half I think Canvey were greatful that the Harlow strike-force were also lacking as they could've found themselves easily 2-0 down before Harlow's first goal eventually did come from an all too common Goalkeeper error.

Harlow's second was also a negative reminiscence from sloppy goals conceeded by indecisiveness. Their third was payback for the luck Canvey rid in the first-half, when yet another poor clearance from the defence landed straight at the feet of the Harlow player and with luck this time on his side, buried the ball in the back of the net - quality goal!

By this time and with the Harlow fans partying to the chant of "6-0" following the mirrored scoreline in the reverse fixture this season it looked like Canvey would be on the receiving end of another 'Margate scoreline', minus the conditions and even another powercut would have no relevance on a bright Saturday afternoon.

If proof were ever needed that Canvey fans were becoming disheartened by the fact their team have won just 11 points from 16 games it came with the lack celebration for what would be Leon Gordon's consolatory notch on the score-sheet, resembling more of a soft applause for a pre-season strike. There became a belief that after 70 minutes Canvey could grab something from this. There may have been a hint of wishful thinking too, seeing as Harlow had already played a competitive match the previous Thursday night. Again it was a similar story in that Canvey waited till the final twenty minutes to show what they can be really capable of.

Leon Antoine had the ball in the back of the net, but it was ruled out due to Jay Curran being judged to have followed through on the Goalkeeper going for a 50/50 ball. The Referee also denied Canvey a blantant penalty, turning away the protests of the players and fans for handball...twice! Richard Halle also had the ball in the net, however his blatant handball was witnessed by nearly everyone in the ground and he got a yellow card as the result of that. Harlow had a Striker sent off for what I assume was dissent, his second yellow after lashing out at Tarkan Mustafa early in the first half.

Off the pitch, I have never seen the bus shelter usually frequented by the Yellow Army so empty as I did towards the end of this match. A good following from Harlow complete with infamous air-raid/police sirens, that on past occasions would've bolstered the attendance closer to the 400 mark, however on this occasion it was barely 300.

For the majority of the game I thought the two teams on the pitch were very fairly matched, but individual mistakes are proving costly at both ends of the pitch. With only seven games remaining for the Gulls every point counts as only 8 points seperate 8th from 19th - Great competiton for an observer, but major "squeaky bum time" for everyone involved!

Now this post may seem rather negative but it doesn't intend to be harsh on anyone in particular as there were times Canvey played their 'sexy football'. The Club's first season in the Ryman Premier and it would take a colossal disaster for the team to get relegated, however I honestly think the Play-Off chances were dead and buried before receiving the Margate thrashing.

What I personally would like to see in these last few games is those Reserves who are inevitably going to be promoted into the First Team next season given a chance to show the fans what they're made of.

Over the past few months, we've either been really good or absolutely awful.

We were shocking against Horsham, Tonbridge, Hendon and Hastings away but superb in both the Billericay matches and away at Dover.

Whilst we've exceeded expectations this season our inconsistancy is so frustrating at times because we're capable of better. I don't mind losing but some games we've been diabolical and just not switched on at all especially since December.

Thought the atmosphere was terrbly quiet yesterday. You could hear a pin drop at times.

Attendance wasn't brilliant but at least it didn't drop below 300.

Thought Antoine was very good. Definitely my man of the match.

i think it could be said that in ways we were unlucky yesterday what with the goal being disallowed, and the hand balls being dismissed by the ref

but at the same time, we were awful in the first half and helped make an average team look good, the defence looked up against it and the midfield looked slow and lazy.

we did fight well, tried to get back into it but when it all comes down to it from where i was standing i dont think we deserved much.

we do need to shake up the line up, too many poor performances in games we should be taking points from, and i no there has been alot of arguement about the bloke in between the sticks, but is he good enough? he has made some great saves ill give him that but add them up compared to the mistakes he has made and games he has cost us.

time for a change maybe, also, what was up the the backline of dobbo and halle? confused me

oh well, to boreham next week, come on you yellows!!!

I think I'd like to see a bit of variety when it comes to adapting to this league. This is John Batch's first season managing at this level and hopefully he is learning a lot to take into next season.

But it's like Dave says in his post, we're either really good or really awful and I think that comes from having only one real style of play.

Take yesterday's match for example - I was really thinking something new was being tried out with Chris Moore coming off the bench. I thought he was going to be put up front with Antoine, then all those long clearances from the defence could've been headed on by Moore who we all know wins 99% of everything in the air, to the feet of Antoine who has the strength and power to shake off most players and bury the ball in the net or at least make the 'Keeper work!

There have been too many like for like substitutions this season - A defender for a defender, striker for a striker etc. Nothing/no-one for us to all turn around and say; "Hold on, he's coming on, this will improve our game".

I don't even know why Stuart Ainsley, one of our best players had to make way for Corbell yesterday, what improvement did it bring to the team, that Ainsley couldn't do himself?

i just want to know matt how did you become so qualified and what level of football did you play at because the last time i see you, you was a tubby desk boy who sits in a bank all day what right do you have to criticise the players who all have jobs and give thier all to play for the club and all you can do is pick holes when they dont play as well as you so clearly can!!!

I resent the "tubby" remark!

What does this topic have to do with mine or the players' jobs?

Why do you feel the need to hide behind an alias and come out of the woodwork at this point in time?

What right do I have? As much as the other people of this forum. Are you a player? Part of the Management? A Director?

Please reveal all and your wonderful insight into the Club!

Originally Posted By: supermattknowsitall
what right do you have to criticise the players who all have jobs and give thier all to play for the club and all you can do is pick holes when they dont play as well as you so clearly can!!!

Isn't that what a forum is for? Opinions...?

As far as I can see Matt was just voicing his opinions. Last time I checked we're allowed to that in this country. Thought his comments were well thought out and quite balanced - even if you don't agree with what he's saying he didn't deserve a personal attack.

Originally Posted By: PittsieCIFC
time for a change maybe, also, what was up the the backline of dobbo and halle? confused me

Glad i wasnt the only one confused by this pairing LOL.Was chris moore rested or dropped??? And what has happend to ben patten??? Is he still with the club?? We have played without doubt our most productive football this season with these two at the back.Although i must say richie halle has been superb of late at both center-half and midfield.Very disapointed with the game on saturday.

Patten is injured, he was there during the warm-up and kicking-in.

The Echo also stated Westy was suffering a shoulder problem, but he managed to make the bench.

i just want to know matt how did you become so qualified and what level of football did you play at because the last time i see you, you was a tubby desk boy who sits in a bank all day what right do you have to criticise the players who all have jobs and give thier all to play for the club and all you can do is pick holes when they dont play as well as you so clearly can!!!

This is surly bullying and has no relevance to the original post. Just becuse matt was voicing his opinion he gets abuse like this. I always belived this forum was a place to air your opinions and be able to say what you feel. But if you get abuse like that i don't blame people for just posting nutrual comments or stay away completely so they dont get attacked.

so its ok for matt to attack our players and thats not bullying?

What about the fans that were actually venting their frustrations during the game towards the players, whether they heard it or not?

criticism is ok as long as it is constructive i was just voicing my opinion. in hindsight the other remark was uncalled for and for that i apologise, i was just annoyed at the constant abuse our players seem to attract.

Apology accepted, but if you disagree with my posts then please feel free to put something constructive back. No-one is right 100% of the time, they just state what they see and offer their opinions on how it could/should/would be improved.

I agree, I admit I have heard it rather a lot as well. It happens at all levels, but obviously at Canvey's level there is less ambience to cover the individual comments.

I remember Steve Ward once saying when asked if the players hear what is said on the terraces, that they hear every single comment and it depends on the player's personality as to how they interpret the comments.

I haven't actually heard anyone call their own player something as strong as a W**ker though!