Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Mickey Bennett article

http://www.charlton-athletic.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=34274

Quote:
Charlton's 1987 young player of the year admitted that the emotional strain of life away from football he endured at that time would ultimately kickstart his career back in the beautiful game.

For the past five years Bennett has practiced as a counsellor, offering what he believes to be a one-of-a-kind sporting support mechanism.

In addition to running his own company, Unique Sports Counselling, Bennett has worked with Charlton's community and women's set-ups, and is now hoping to forge a significant link with the same youth structure that nurtured him as a youngster.

"I kind of fell into my current role," said Mickey, who played 72 times for the club in two spells from 1986-95. "Towards the end of my career I was playing part-time for Canvey Island, and on the way home from some of the long away trips, players would often sit behind me and ask for my help and advice. There must have been something about me that made me approachable!"

Indeed, a top fella! Lest we forget that if it wasn't for his goal against Harlow in the first round of the trophy in 2000, without it we may never have won the competition!

For me though, his finest hour was Ford United away when we won 3-0 and Potter played out on pitch, blinding goal from Benno that day!

I remember one particular incident at Stevenage away in the 2001 FA Trophy run. We were all down the away end, with the penalty shootout down the other end in front of the home fans.

Me & Goose saw Ian on his way round to snap away at the shootout, and followed stealth like behind him. When the steward asked why we were coming round, we just said we were with Ian and he let us through.

We one the shootout, and we proceded to have a wide range of items from the burger bar thrown at us, were bundled into the dressing room area by a steward for our own safety, and left the ground via the celebratory Canvey dressing room!!

Cheers Ian wink