Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Player Update

Losing players is a big blow, and I hope to hell they're replaced, but I don't think these departures are indicative of any great morale problem. Rather they've come to a natural end at this club, and it's time for new blood all round:

Jacko - nine years, won four cups and a league title with the Fleet and captained them. Nine years anywhere is enough to want a new challenge.

Burton - travelling a lot, arguably behind Duku and Trott, and maybe Pennock, in the pecking order - Farnborough probably looked a better prospect for him.

Wilko - not content playing in defence, probably not good enough for the Conference as a striker. Like Jacko, a long time at the Fleet, time for a change.

Stadhart - got the quality, but didn't really prove it last season. Again, time to move on.

Barnett - like Burton, behind others in the squad, was unlikely to feature much.

Turner - Far too good to NOT be playing every week. And unlikely to get his chance with Wilko in the way.

Re: Danny Lye

Last I heard of him was from a workmate and Purfleet supporter. He didn't last long there, had a tendency to fall over when tackled (his words not mine). Played two or three games and wasn't heard of again. He wasn't asked to leave, he just stopped going.

Quote:
the heart has been taken from our club .

I think you've summed it up excellently Alan - quite simply, Jacko's departure means we no longer have a true figurehead to the club. The longest serving current player (I think) for us now is Matt Lee, and bizarrely, in an age of chairman thinking rashly and sacking their managers on a regular basis, Andy has been at the club for longer than all of our remaining players. I recently read an interview with AC Milan's legendary one-club man Paolo Maldini, who claimed that football needs one-club players, and he's quite right.

To be honest, the commitment that Jacko always showed is a huge loss. However, he has now reached an age where, roughly midway through his playing career, he is inevitably going to be thinking that he must move on and achieve the best he can in his career, and sadly that time has arrived. frown.gif

Clearly, we must now hope that Benno and the Fridge sign new deals, and that Andy shows his legendary shrewdness in the transfer market to its full potential. If all of these things fail to happen, relegation next season seems a worryingly high possibility. frown.gif

However, no hard feelings, Jacko. Thanks for nine excellent seasons and best of luck with Dagenham.

P.S. Good luck to Jamie Turner too, wherever he may end up. Also, I am pleased that the four aforementioned players have signed for next season - especially Sturgess, for it is excellent to see him back playing after such an unfortunate season.

P.P.S. Alan W, I believe Rob Owen has already signed for next season.

I'm completley devasted I thought that if we could have kept Jacko along with most of last seaons squad and a few extras we could have been pushing for mid table, thus increasing the clubs status and money. Now I'm left thinking its a relegation dogfight and the same problem next year with players leaving.

Gutted Brian.......

So the "Windmill" bush telegraph was correct after all......

I haven't had time to read all the other posts yet....just got in from work...and dinner ( and I use the word "dinner" in it's broadest possible sense !!) is ready.....

....but....I think we gotta get some players in soon...preferably with league experience ( I know they increase the wage bill !!)....otherwise...we will struggle big time...hope I am wrong...or is it just mixing with Rob "Doom & Gloom" F. every week ? (no offence Rob !)

Cheers,

frown.gif