Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

It's that man again!

[Taken from the St Albans Observer]

LEE HARDING, St Albans City FC's former controversial chairman looks set to return to the game and take charge of Long Melford FC.

It is reported that Harding who sold his majority shareholding in City in January with the club facing closure will be installed as chairman of the Essex and Suffolk Premier League side tonight at the Annual General Meeting.

[so, that's the tractor, pa system, tea urn, sprinkler system, etc etc sorted then]

Woo Yay! My chosen specialized subject!

Long Melford is a village in South Suffolk with (would you believe) the longest High Street in Britain (or one of them). It has got hundreds of antique shops, and it's ALWAYS packed out with tourists on a Sunday afternoon. The antique connection is because considerable parts of "Lovejoy" were filmed there. It's about three miles or so from the nearest large town (Sudbury) and about eight or nine miles from Bury St Edmunds. (Quite a distance from Newmarket, in case you were wondering). How do I know this? My other half is from Glemsford, the next village along. Her dad's an AFC Sudbury fan, don't you know. I went to the FA Vase semi-final second leg while we were up there for the weekend, and, as I'm sure I related before, he spent to the whole of the match chatting with us, whilst turning around occasionally to offer a barrage of abuse to his players. More tattoos than any other football manager I've ever seen, too.

I hope that you guys heal soon, sounds like Lee has healed quite a bit to be considering chairing Long Melford FC. I’ve only ever found Lee a nice bloke, but I accept you guys have had one heck of a lot of differences.

If I were you I’d count my own blessings and find I weren’t doing too bad! It is not like you’re ground is a housing estate now or you’re ground-sharing, it ain’t moving to Milton Keynes or you’ve be foced to start again from scratch. You still have your own ground with a fence around it and you’re in Ryman Premiership. People aren’t perfect, that is what adds a bit of spice to life.

I look forward to Enfield Town FC having the chance to visit Long Melford FC, come to that I wouldn’t have minded a pre-season friendly with the Saints, maybe next year when we have our ground sorted and you guys feel better!

I think that the bottom line with this little story is that Lee is rather moving down in the world. My knowledge of the matter is largely circumstantial would have to conclude that becoming the chairman of Long Melford is the equivalent of becoming the chairman of Colney Heath.

Did a quick internet name check and came up with this. What I want to know is, is that the former Goody he's replaced?

melford move up

20 June 2002

LONG Melford were voted into the Jewson League at the anuual meeting on Monday night, along with Godmanchester Rovers, a decision welcomed by chairman Graeme Garden.

LONG Melford were voted into the Jewson League at the anuual meeting on Monday night, along with Godmanchester Rovers, a decision welcomed by chairman Graeme Garden.

"It's a relief as we now know for certain where we are playing next season. It means the league is satisfied with work in progress, although we still have other deadlines to meet," he said.

The former Border League club can now look forward to derby matches with near neighbours Great Cornard, the two having been drawn together in the First Division KO Cup, to be played over two legs, as well as a first league meeting on Boxing Day.

Jewson League officials visited Long Melford last week to check that work required before the annual meeting had been completed.

Upgrading floodlights and work on covered accommodation is still in progress.

The club's annual general meeting takes place at Stoneylands on Monday at 7.30pm when changes agreed at a recent extraordinary general meeting have to be ratified.

At the egm members voted overwhelmingly to disband the committee and form a limited company.

On Monday they will be asked to vote in directors for the new set-up at the club.

Cornard United assistant manager Mike Ford welcomed the early meeting with Long Melford.

"It's a great draw for both us. It would have made a brilliant final."

He was also happy with the League Cup draw, which sees Cornard at home to Harwich.

"This gives us a match against premier division opposition early in the season, and a chance to assess ourselves," he said.

AFC Sudbury come into the League Cup at the preliminary round stage, and should make progress with a home tie against first division Needham Market.

But manager Keith Martin warned a first round tie against Woodbridge would be difficult. "They have improved a lot recently."

League Cup preliminary round: AFC Sudbury v Needham Market, Cornard Utd v Harwich. First round: Whitton or Tiptree v Long Melford, AFC or Needham v Woodbridge, Swaffham or Dereham v Hadleigh Utd, Cornard or Harwich v Halstead Town.

First Division KO Cup, southern section first round: Cornard v Melford, Hadleigh v Needham. Second round: Halstead v Brightlingsea, Leiston v Cornard or Melford.