Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Squad for next season

I see Andy has confirmed he currently has 13 players for next season & that he would like another 5 & ideally a squad of 20 (as per the Reporter this week).

I think the 13 are as follows :-

Wilkerson, Lee,Skinner,Sturgess, Kwashi, Trott, Hogg, Mckimm, Owen,Budge,Evans,Strouts, Hatch.

In addition, Ade has agreed to play on a non contract basis.

Of the others who played for the 1st team last year, the main ones to be resolved are obviously Benno and the Fridge. In addition theres players such as White, Parker, Grace, Gedling, Carter and possibly ex PASE lads ??

Otherwise I guess it will be new signings we pick up between now & the new season - potentially through the preseason friendlies and triallists.

If we get Benno & Fridge to sign, I dont think that will be a bad basis for a squad - defensively it looks as though it would be sound, if we can avoid injuries and suspensions. Midfield wise, perhaps one more strong midfielder, and up front, someone who can score regular goals. But otherwise, should be good enough to get us a better finish than last year & hopefully push us up into upper mid table.

A lot depends on Fridge and Benno, if Fridge went after the loyalty the club gave him last year i don't think many fans would forgive him, it is only May still plenty of time, but agree on the striker i would like two regular goalscorers, and a another goalscoring midfielder.

Personally if i had to choose between the Fridge or Benno staying id have no hesitation in choosing Francis. We were alot tighter when he came back into the team last year...We need a striker more than anything. Beast can potentially do it for us, but then he didnt do it over 42 games for us as he was injury prone. If we cant score goals you cant win matches. We've lost one of our big goalscoring machines in Jacko, if we lose Benno too we lose another goalscoring outlet. As it stands at the moment in the close season we are at a massive crossroads. We'll either do ok next season or get relegated but alot depends on the Fridge/Benno scenario and whether we can attract a half decent striker to the club.

I know that a lot of old Sh#te is rumoured about who is going where in the close season......and most of it is untrue.....

....but I am a worried man....I see people going.....and no one coming ( apart from the two lads from Welling & Stevenage)........hopefully there will be a few more "comings" before Aug 9 ....

Cheers,

confused.gif

The start of the season is a long way off and I am sure we will see plenty of comings and goings before then, but we should realise that without being able to offer big money it is difficult to attract top players.

The one thing in our favour is that there are plenty of good players outside the conference who would like the opportunity to prove that they are good enough. Mark Bentley was a prime example of that last year...I am sure he would not have come to Gravesend if we were still in the Rymans.

We should get behind whoever Andy Ford brings in but bear in mind that they are more likely to come from a Rymans or Doc Martins club than from a division three team.

There are loads of players who have been released from Division 2 and 3 clubs..We should be targeting those players with football league experience not Dr.Martens or Ryman players unless of course they were top scorer in their respective divisions smile.gif smile.gif

Also i notice that Daves old fave from last yr Gary Abbott has left the Wigs to play for Fisher... And no Alan, we shouldnt try and sign Mark Munday !!! Leon Braithwaite yes, Munday no.

Much will be said in the next month of who we will sign or how many, but one thing we do need is a quality striker I suppose its just financial with us, or is it that no striker of any worth lives within two miles of Bearstead?

So yet another rumour. However, the subject of which team to play for next season must have cropped up between Jimmy and Benno (and the other Fleet contingent too) on the recent Wanderers tour, so this suggestion might be more reliable than most. I hope it isn't true though.

According to this morning's Metro, the PFA are today releasing a list of 586 players who will be out of contract at the end of this month.

Gordon Taylor fears that 200 of these will be forced out of the game.

If these figures are true, then we will certainly be able to find one or two good quality players to come and join us.