Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bentley leaves Fleet to join Dagenham

I can understand Jacko needing to leave in search of fulfilling a career ambition to play in the Football league, but I would imagine the extra money would have only been a small part in the deciding factor. £200 per week extra would only be about £10,000 per year, whereas as successful testamonial against a top Premiership club in about 18 months would have yeilded £50,000 +.

Benno on the other hand has been a bit mercenary. I fully expect a player of his quality to comfortably play in Div 2 or 3, as does Jimmy Bullard. A couple of outstanding seasons playing for Fleet (probably as their best player) would showcase his talents to all league scouts, whereas he is likely to find he is only one of many League standard players at D&R, and his star qualities may not shine so brightly.

The same applies to Francis. Whilst it can be argued that he only played 8 games for a season's pay, he did get the injury playing for the Fleet. Any employee would expect to get paid if off sick because of an injury received at work. Francis is no different. However, Benno DID show star quaility and consistency all through a long, tough Conference season, whilst Francis is still (to a degree) unproven at this level. A lot of the games he did play were against poor, relegation haunted sides, not Yeovil, Morcambe, Doncaster or D&R, so I feel it would be in his best interest to get a full season in the Conference behind him to demonstrate to the world he is good enough to play at a higher level.

Notwithstanding all the above I sincerely hope Benno, Duke and Jacko do fulfil their ambitions and go on to play in Division 3.

Quote:
Seems reading wokings board that he was also speaking 2 them....Can we have our player of the yr trophies back plse?!!

Woking? If that's true, then Benno was following a money trail, I reckon. If that's the case, let's not mourn him too much - he'll probably be out injured half the season!!

I have read what everyone has had to say.

Agree with some, disagree with others,

I can understand Jacko, perhaps he did need a change, only hope he gets what he wants and plays every week.

Benno, different case. Yes he certainly looks good enough for League football, but nothing in the game is certain, so if Dagenham do not get promoted next year, I am sure he will be off again looking for a bigger pay day, with someone else.

Andy does have a very difficult job, getting in players to replace them both, but as I have said before it will be no good getting bit players,

Lets hope with money from Jacko and Benno's wages he can weave some magic, plus of course there is still over £3500 from the pledge cash still in the bank.

Unfortunately the timing once again is cxxp as we were hoping to get really positive coverage for the Trust meeting next Thursday, but I am sure if the papers run true to form it will be full of Benno going, not very positive at all.

Not a dig at Jacko at all, but what ever happened to loyality!!

Quote:

Not a dig at Jacko at all, but what ever happened to loyality!!

In no way a dig at you Jessica as I agree with all you say,
but LOYALITY works both ways, just ask Mike Chatwin with regards the U13 team. Maybe the players have heard about what he did to the boys.
Sorry Super Daz couldn't miss an opportunity like this, I suppose a
yawn will be coming along soon.

Regards

Mike F

I can understand people being upset at a lack of loyalty from some players but in Benno's case he signed a one year contract and was player of the season for that one year.

I think we got our moneys worth.

It would have been great if he had stayed but that was always going to be unlikely.

If Andy manages to find another player of Benno's class and he will also only sign a one year contract I am sure we would all dip in our pockets to find the money to sign him.

The way the game has changed we are not going to find any more Jacko's who will stick around for eight years and we just have to accept that we are not going to watch the same team from one season to the next.

I totally agree with Jessica. Despite what I have said in previous threads about finances, it is now vital that we spend money wisely and recruit suffient talent to ensure continued Conference football. The cost of relegation will be far greater than a short term overdraft, as crowds would dwindle and all the hard work put in by Andy,Brian et al would be undone. There are plenty of good players around, it is important to tie them to 2 or 3 year contracts so that we don't have yearly repetitions of the present fiasco.

I really don't understand some of the doom and gloom on here.

OK - Jacko leaving was a major shock as like myself most people thought he would end his playing days with us.

I don't blame him for wanting a new challenge though.

However, did we really expect Bentley to stay? Along with Wilkerson he was by far the best player last season - I'm just surprised a Football League Club never picked him up.

Casting your mind back to last summer I seem to recall a little Zimbabwean player shimmy past 3 Canvey Island players to create a fantastic goal - did your jaw drop in disbelief too? Until his little trip to Ireland Tos was quite brilliant for us - if Andy can get him hitting form during

pre-season then we have a ready made replacemet there.

Also Rob Owen played on the right away at Woking and was quite brilliant that night. He is probably the best midfield passer of the ball we have at the moment.

As for the left wing - maybe its time to blood Robbie Grace and Jamie Carter in the pre-season friendlies. Do either play on the left? ICant remember - sorry! They both look like more attacking player than Jackson. There's no point having a PASE team if we don't give them a chance to show what they can do at a higher level. Admittedly last season it was difficult to do this but given the money situation wouldn't it make sense to give them a chance rather than sign some

ex-pro who doesn't give a t*ss.

However, Jessica is right the timing of some of these players leaving is bad in terms of the Supporters Trust Meeting - I only hope the room doesn't feel like a morgue!

Cheer up everybody!

ps Dave - thanks for putting the ticket application form up.

Quote:
Casting your mind back to last summer I seem to recall a little Zimbabwean player shimmy past 3 Canvey Island players to create a fantastic goal - did your jaw drop in disbelief too?

Yes it certainly did!!! That was stunning. Top class. Don't forget also that Tos can pop up and strike at anytime. Remember when he scored against Hereford?? Or the best and most important goal he scored against Morecambe?? If he gets a regular start he could be a good strong player for us.