Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Wealdstone 1-0 Canvey Island

Matt H

In the end I think Wealdstone deserved the victory in the end. Their 'Keeper pulled off some outstanding saves during the second half. Canvey were playing against 10 men for 83 minutes, but conceded right on half-time from a lovely free-kick.

Second half, Canvey threw everything forward but couldn't find a equaliser. With about ten minutes to go Jay Curran was sent off for violent conduct after lashing out. In an immature moment on his part, Curran squirted his water bottle into the crowd, inciting them enough for it all to kick off at full-time between fans and players alike.

Roll on Margate and hopefully James Rowe will get back in the team.

Today was so disappointing.

In the end I think Wealdstone deserved the victory in the end. Their 'Keeper pulled off some outstanding saves during the second half. Canvey were playing against 10 men for 83 minutes, but conceded right on half-time from a lovely free-kick.

Second half, Canvey threw everything forward but couldn't find a equaliser. With about ten minutes to go Jay Curran was sent off for violent conduct after lashing out. In an immature moment on his part, Curran squirted his water bottle into the crowd, inciting them enough for it all to kick off at full-time between fans and players alike.

Roll on Margate and hopefully James Rowe will get back in the team.

Today was so disappointing.

Very balanced view, shame about the scenes at the end.

One of the better sides we have played this season.

I have to mention also how impressed I was with the Officials, who I believe didn't put a foot wrong all game. The Assistants had the balls to flag for stuff, which many have lacked at the Brockwell. The Ref let play continue, when a few of the more whistle happy Refs would've blown up for niggly stuff.

Interesting the Assistant, (correctly) over-ruled the Referee today when Jason Hallett used the 'Hand of God' to 'equalise' for Canvey. Both sending offs were correct, (again many Referees wouldn't have shown a red card so early in the game). Their Player that was booked for diving was correct as James Russell never made contact. Frankie's booking and their number 7 being booked for the initial foul of Curran before his sending off were all good judgement calls.

http://www.wealdstonefc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=237

Opposition views of the game and the aftermath.

Unfortunately their forum doesn't tell the whole story!

Spitting at someone whether you're a fan or player is unacceptable, I for one did see Crow get spat at by some mouthy prat who was just wouldn't drop it.

Throwing punches is just plain stupid, luckily it was more handbags than brawl otherwise a certain someone would be Refereeing this morning with a shiner!

The Steward with the bloody nose was an accident, despite his claims he was headbutted. He was doing his job and thus come off the worst out the lot of them by the looks of it.

The Wealdstone fans giving it large outside the bar as we got back on the Coach, were just trying to cause more provocation - They need to grow a pair to be honest.

As for the game itself, well as I said above over the full 90 minutes I think Wealdstone deserved it. We were good at times and played some great football, but they were better and knew how to compete. They played just one up front after the sending off and envoked damage limitation for the first half. Canvey hitting the post was their best chance of the first-half. Conceding the free-kick right on half-time gave Wealdstone a major advantage of an even first-half.

Second half Canvey upped their game, but Wealdstone maintained their strategy. Playing five across the back for most of the remainder, they hit Canvey on the break whenever they could. Their little man up front was nippy, but got caught offside a few times. The one time he did get through on goal, he was booked for taking a dive.

Man of the Match, Sean? Thomas pulled off at least three great saves and Canvey had two chances cleared off the line by defenders as they threw everything forward. Attacks were coming from everywhere - Jay Curran, Jason Hallett, Gabriel Fanibuyan, Kevin Dobinson, Robbie King and Chris Moore all had various attempts to get Canvey level. Hallett did 'score' but with his hand. Must mention here that if he'd scored a legit goal, it would've been probably the first time ever I've seen the advantage given to the attacker when going for a 50/50 with a Goalkeeper.

Canvey replaced Jonathan Edwards with Robbie King and Craig Davidson with Greg Cohen as Canvey pushed Leon Gordon up front with Hallett and Curran, whilst Fanibuyan swapped flanks for Cohen to slot in - 3-4-3.

Curran was fouled out on the left by Wealdstone's no. 7, but whilst on the floor Jay lashed out with a boot and caught their man. Jay was shown a straight red card for the violent conduct and their player was booked for the initial foul. Referee gave the advantage back to Wealdstone though and Canvey lost the opportunity.

Five minutes injury time were added on much to Wealdstone's dispair, firstly for Thomas' head colliding with his own goal-post. Secondly for Hallett's head injury when 'scoring' and lastly for Curran's sending off. Canvey had several corners during this period but Wealdstone held on for the three points and now leap-frog Canvey in the League table.

Canvey Island XI: Russell, Everett, Davidson, Halle, Moore, Dobinson, Gordon, Edwards, J. Curran, Hallett, Fanibuyan. SUBS: Cohen, Patten, King, Batch, Bastin.

Personally I think Robbie King should be starting games now. He gives us something extra when going forward and seems very versatile across the middle.

Once again it's a case of doing everything but score, at least we tested the 'Keeper this time.

I think we need to concentrate on playing the 'Canvey' way. First half yesterday we really tore their defence apart at times because we used the full width of the pitch. When we did this we always looked good going forward and with them going down to ten men so early it's something we should've taken advantage of more.

We possibly could've gone three at the back a lot sooner in the game, maybe even half-time. With them only playing one up front, we could've brought on Cohen sooner to pack-out our midfield, keeping Leon on the right and letting Gabby have a free role pushing through the middle to meet Hallett and Curran.

http://www.wealdstonefc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=237

The Steward with the bloody nose was an accident, despite his claims he was headbutted. He was doing his job and thus come off the worst out the lot of them by the looks of it.

Just to clarify a couple of points.

I am not a steward, but a supporter trying to stop the scuffle. At no time did I claim to anyone I was headbutted, The Canvey guy I was trying to get away from the situation was hit and his head colided with my nose. Its not a big deal it hasn't spoilt my boyish good looks.

Good to hear it!

To be fair to Glen, (the guy who's head hit you) he was only trying to pull our guy away from the tunnel and get everyone back onto the Coach.

Like you say, no big deal, just a couple of over enthusiastic individuals who know they've done wrong.

There was a few Wealdstone fans who seemed to be looking for some aggro to be honest. All rather dissapointing.

As for the game, we had quite a few chances in the second half but their keeper was excellent.

We were a bit sloppy in the first half and we conceded a number of free kicks in dangerous positions and were made to pay for one of them.

Played better in the second half but credit to Wealdstone who produced a battling display.