Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey v Hitchin

Merv

As CIFC supporters, we really do put ourselves through the agony, don’t we. Lovely game last week and a scoreline to be proud of. Then, 7 days later, they go and serve up rubbish like that! And apart from the real die-hard fans, it was rubbish. I commented to Matt that it was like watching park football but, quite rightly, he corrected me. Schoolboy football.

Time after time we threw long high balls down the middle and, to his credit, Jason Hallett got on the end of many of them. But then, he had nowhere to go! In the middle of the park with two men on him he simply had no room. On the few occasions when we played to feet we opened them up. So why didn’t we pursue this tactic? Why was there no instruction from the dug-out to change the approach?

There were no accurate passes coming through from the back and on so many occasions is was laughable just how easily we gave the ball away; sometimes when we were under no pressure at all.

I was impressed by how Fanny stayed wide and gave us much needed width and overall I thought he had a very good game. But it was spoiled on so many occasions by his finishing. He either tripped over the ball or his own feet or whenwhen the telling final pass came, it was woefully inaccurate.

Both ‘keepers had good games and James kept the scoreline to a respectable level with some superb stops. The visiting ‘keeper also did exceptionally well with his penalty save and when Dobbo compounded his miss by hitting the rebound onto the post I realised it was going to be one of ‘those’ days.

On our day we can be fantastic, but we find it so difficult to make it our day. Inconsistency seems to drag us down whenever we try to build a run of victories. Unless we can overcome this we will suffer not only in the cups, but in the more important league. If fans can’t be reasonably certain of watching a committed performance, they will stay away. And who can blame them?

What annoyed me today, especially in the second-half is why we couldn't put a foot on the ball and play the Canvey way.

We were hoofing long balls up to Hallett who had no-one to lay them off to as Rowe was always too far up his arse. The central midfield were too slow following up and I was really disappointed with Robbie King cause he was showing some great signs coming into the Club, but he was totally anonymous today. The problem with our midfield in the second half is that they were too narrow and couldn't spread their play.

Gabby could've played wider, especially when making runs he would move further into the centre of the pitch, when he had all the space to run in a straight line and draw men out and leave our men unmarked.

I gave Cohen MotM purely because all his set-pieces looked like golden opportunities to score and worryingly they looked like our best opportunities of the game.

Having said that you could equally say that we were just unlucky. Both Hallett and Dobbo hit the woodwork, Dobbo after his penalty was saved, (how far off his line was their 'Keeper when he saved that?) I would've protested for a re-take. Their 'Keeper, Bennett pulled off at least three great saves in the first-half.

I thought Everett had a good game too and both he and James Russell have been our most consistant performers so far this season.

In my eyes this all boils down to not having the right tactics in central midfield, we either have players hold onto the ball too long and after beating three players fall over and lose possession or we have a midfield too compact that we can't pass the ball about effectivly and eventually it hits an oppo player who manages to collect the second ball and totally turn the attack around. If we could switch the ball between flanks easier/quicker we could do some serious damage, but I don't see anyone with the ability in our squad.

A dissapointing performance but we didn't seem to have luck on our side. If Dobbo had converted that penalty then the game could well have had a different outcome.

Their keeper made a number of good stops but what dissapointed me a bit was after we pulled a goal back we rarely tested their defence or keeper. In fairness, they saw out the remaining 20 minutes quite comfortably and only a stop from James in injury time prevented the score-line from being worse.

The dissapointing thing about this result is not only have we lost out on the prize money but we now face nearly three weeks without a competitive fixture. Obviously we were unfortunate that next week's scheduled opponents Hendon are in FA Cup action but at a time when we need all the money and support we can get, I fear that a lack of fixtures over the coming weeks will have a detrimental effect on our support especially those 'floating' fans who will find somewhere else to go or do during those blank weekends and may not necessarily return.

On a positive note, was good to see James Rowe return from injury and thought James Russell had a great game.

To be a football passing side there are certain technical issues we cannot ignore:

1. You will fail to play the passing game if your two full backs knock the ball 40/50 yards in to channels, in 90 minutes possibly the full backs played in to the mid-field no more than 3/5 times

2. With the two center backs constantly under aerial attack one of your mid-fielders must cover the hole in front of our defense or again the desperate punt up field occurs, our two center mid-fielders were high up the pitch with neither accepting (our told to accept) responsibility to collect from the back four, result? Constant battling for the ball from our center backs headed clearance

3. When one player is having a mare, for 90 minutes you have to ask why a change failed to happen, they walked through down their right wing for the entire game

Our goal came from the best football played on the floor and showed how well we can open teams playing in our traditional manner

Saturday the opposition lacked our individual skills but had a plan and applied composure where as we lacked a plan and only showed occasional composure on the ball

Some one has to ask why the difference in recent games from the early matches where we looked the part and won the games?

To be a football passing side there are certain technical issues we cannot ignore:

1. You will fail to play the passing game if your two full backs knock the ball 40/50 yards in to channels, in 90 minutes possibly the full backs played in to the mid-field no more than 3/5 times

2. With the two center backs constantly under aerial attack one of your mid-fielders must cover the hole in front of our defense or again the desperate punt up field occurs, our two center mid-fielders were high up the pitch with neither accepting (our told to accept) responsibility to collect from the back four, result? Constant battling for the ball from our center backs headed clearance

3. When one player is having a mare, for 90 minutes you have to ask why a change failed to happen, they walked through down their right wing for the entire game

Our goal came from the best football played on the floor and showed how well we can open teams playing in our traditional manner

Saturday the opposition lacked our individual skills but had a plan and applied composure where as we lacked a plan and only showed occasional composure on the ball

Some one has to ask why the difference in recent games from the early matches where we looked the part and won the games?

Ill try to continue the post pabird.

I agree with most of the points in your post pabird and most of the topic above.

I personally think though our defence would better served if WESTY played on the right, his best position.

He must be in the back 4 as he is the only pacey defender we have. Every team needs one. I for one would not miss our current half hearted aerial challenges and lame attempts at cutting out crosses from our current Right back. I do like a trier.

Would it be possible that we changed to hoofing the ball to spoil our opposition.

On the main stand we were really starting to enjoy how high the ball was going. Somebody commenting it was more fun than fireworks.

We all want Canvey to play the on the deck passing game. The only way this will happen is if our players vastly improve their off the ball running and support play. It was poor last year and its not getting any better. No player will be comfortable in taking a touch and looking up for the short ball especially in their own half, if there is no movement. Players need to take responsibility and make them self available for a pass otherwise it is a long ball up the park. All of our running seems reactive and at the top end players don't seem to gamble enough.

When on the break or up front in a good position, many players take 2 or 3 unnecessary extra touches (that look nice!), when an early ball would cause more damage.

All in all, we were unlucky. Apart from the cup games you cant complain.

I do feel we need to improve though, if we are to keep our current league position.

We have got 3 very good forwards if they can form decent partnerships (Rowe was a bit greasy a couple of times when Jason was in a better position to shoot) and if we can attack in a way that plays to their strengths plus our midfield that can scores goals. I feel we could play in the fashion of winning 5-3. Now that would be fun.

P.S. Bring back the drum.

Or a volunteer to play Fred's bugle.

It does add to the atmosphere.

We all want Canvey to play the on the deck passing game. The only way this will happen is if our players vastly improve their off the ball running and support play. It was poor last year and its not getting any better. No player will be comfortable in taking a touch and looking up for the short ball especially in their own half, if there is no movement. Players need to take responsibility and make them self available for a pass otherwise it is a long ball up the park. All of our running seems reactive and at the top end players don't seem to gamble enough.

When on the break or up front in a good position, many players take 2 or 3 unnecessary extra touches (that look nice!), when an early ball would cause more damage.

DK I felt your most telling point was the extra touch always taken rather than the early ball given

We used to call those players "school boy" players as they have never taken on board the needs of the receiving player, I.E. by the time they do deliver receiving player is shut down and has stopped running in to space

Give and move is an absolute for any ball playing team but where we do have one or two players who always make themselves available defenders ignore them and almost always go for the "Hollywood" 40/50 yarder (90% plus failure)

At our level we have too few players who have had early pro club training/coaching and too many fans who believe effort alone will achieve

Naturally very disapointed with saturday's game! And also our efforts in the fa cup aswell! But i would have taken this start to the season

during pre-season.Were going very well in the league which imo is the most IMPORTANT competition.

However theres a few areas that cause me concern.. Mainly our 2 full backs.Westy although being played out of position was all over the place on sat!

But i dont know if crow is the answer to play there? Maybe halle? I think we really need and out and out left back to give us balance if were gonna be

in the play-off's.I like everett as a player but feel he is to slow for a fall back.He should be covering his centre half but doesnt get round on the cover.

Also thought robbie king was very poor on sat.

But when you look at the predicament our 2 fierce rival's are in (billericay 2nd @ hornchurch 4th from bottom)its not all doom and gloom! I think if we can

iron out a few creaes then the play-offs are attainable.

Quite agree about players not moving into space to allow the pass. Funny thing, but whenever you watch Canvey take a throw-in you see exactly the same problem. Nobody moves into a space in order to give the thrower a clear target. Net result is that the ball is often thrown into a tangle of players; sometimes we come out with the ball, sometimes we don't. Our only tactic seems to be for the thrower to get the ball to a yellow shirt who then gets it back to the thrower. Not a bad tactic but we appear to lose the ball from so many throw-ins. Next time we are awarded a throw, watch to see who helps the thrower by getting themselves into a space or helps the thrower by running into a space, drawing a defende with them and hence leaving a space behind.

Having said all that, Gavin makes a very fair point when he says that we would have accepted this league position a couple of months ago. But I wonder if we are not coasting a bit, perhaps a tad too cozy. I don't want the end of season report to say, 'Could do better. Have not achieved their full potential.'

Drunk Viking also makes some interesting observations. "Players need to take responsibility and make them self available for a pass otherwise it is a long ball up the park." Spot on. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Couple of weeks rest now with no football (shame). I look forward to carrying on the debate after the Waltham Abbey game (can't get myseld worked up about ESC).

But when you look at the predicament our 2 fierce rival's are in (billericay 2nd @ hornchurch 4th from bottom)its not all doom and gloom! I think if we can

iron out a few creaes then the play-offs are attainable.

Agree there. I read the Billericay forum and the club doesn't seem to be in a happy state with some of their best players leaving, poor results and the fans disillusioned.

Other than our form in the cups, we've not made a bad start to the season and I'd rather be where we are in the league that the position ricay and Hornchurch find themselves in.

We do seem to lack consistancy which is frustrating and we need to improve our home form. The team certainly has the potential to achieve a decent finish in the league.

I notice that at least one of my predictions for this game came true - a poor attendance of just 285.

Rightly or wrongly, Matt, following results in the past couple of seasons there is a perception that this team does not care about cups and consequently, it's not worth paying £9.50 to watch them. Some would say, 'If they aren't bothered, why should we be?'

The next problem is that this feeling could well spill over to league games as well. That would be disasterous. At the moment we seem to muster around 400 - 450 for a home game but with bad weather, Christmas shopping and the credit crunch we could see this slump. Lots has been done to showcase the club around the island but nothing succeeds like success. Cup games used to be the opportunity to bring in the half-hearted fans and get them hooked (my first game was against Brighton). Sadly fans have come to recent cup games and vowed never to return.

Poor cup form has cost us dear. Against teams we could have beaten we have lost thousands of £££s in prize money. You've got sell an awful lot of 50/50 tickets to match reaching even the first round of either the Trophy or the FA Cup.

But I am sure that good times are just around the corner and I'll be there at the next home game; always the optimist.