Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

JUST BACK FROM GRAYS

CANV EFM

great win... 1 nil up, half way through the second half, our main central defender (bodders) cops one and goes off...does another defender come on? does he [****!!****]! the cobbster is wheeled into action..what a great attitude from jeff and glen, away at grays a team unbeaten at home! (in fact i think they have only drawn once and won the rest).... good to see the yellow army back in fine voice as well grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 06 November 2001: This message was edited by: CANV ]</p>

good performance tonight, lee boylan was quailty tonight. good to see the yellow army out in force tonight and lets hope bodders is ok.

we r top of the league say we r top of the league smile.gif" border="0

Great win at Grays tonight we deserved it and should of been by at least 3 goals I thought Grays were a load of cloggers and hoofers and this is the start of their downward spiral,not impressed with them at all so bring on Braintree

and just a reminder its a 1 o clock ko sat come on you yellows well done lads.

Agree that we deserved to win although i am not sure I agree that Grays will be slipping down the league that far. I thought for most of the game that their defense was pretty strong - and Andy Sussex still looks a good player to me. <p>More disappointing though was the reaction of some of their fans as they passed me behind the goal on their way out. They were very agressive and seemed to be looking for trouble. One person in particular seemed to be trying to pick a fight - not what we all expect from non-league football. I am now not at all surprised at the reports of trouble when they played Aldershot. I hope that the Grays management are doing something to get rid of these trouble makers

Good night all round, I thought. The Yellow Army were getting in tune nicely. Perhaps the £7 to get in cheered them up a bit. The £5 at Halesowen cheered them up even more. Is the vocal output of the army in direct proportion to the admittance charge? That would explain the eight quid's worth of silence at Park Lane on recent occasions. <p>The game was good and in the end Canvey deserved the three points. To an outsider 1:0 looks close, but I never considered this one close at all. I think Grays position in the league has been rather inflated as, on this showing, they are not that talented, especially when they try to go directly from defence to attack, missing out that important territory that is called mid-field. <p>Sad to hear those disgruntled Grays fans as they went home. I know there is always rivalry in a local derby, but if the visitors are the better team, there’s nothing to be gained by wanting to beat up the rest of the world. Get used to defeat Grays fans, on that showing I think there will be plenty more.<p>Merv

Agreed we weren't at our best tonight and yet you didn't create a real chance until we went with two at the back in the last 5 mins. We missed 3 glorious chances, played most of the second half with 10 men and lost to a very well taken half chance. Probably what upset the us the most was the way your number 5 was waving his hand about trying to get O'Sullivan sent off, which was duly answered by the ref. This will mean if we win our first round tie he will miss the second round of the FA cup. I hope he's proud. From what we saw your nowhere near Aldershot. I think they proved that at your place.

Blueboy - Visit your local opticians and invest in a sight test, you may then see a more realistic game for your £7 entry fee! and the price of an upto date prescription!

The goal came from a sweet move and not 'a well taken half chance'!<p>[ 07 November 2001: This message was edited by: vic ]</p>

To be fair , although i was 25 minutes late for the game! i think the boys were well on top and from where i was standing behind the goal it looked like every time we went on the attack we was going to score ! I thought that Duffers work hard down the left and to be honest i cant really see anything other than Canvey Winning the League ! Bring on Braintree ! " WE ARE TOP THE LEAGUE SAY WE ARE TOP THE LEAGUE ! "<p>[ 07 November 2001: This message was edited by: Glen J ]</p>

Grays were pretty awful, hoofing the ball forward aimlessly most of time. Their no 11 looked lively 1st half, but after the break Buzz had him in his pocket. Little else to speak of about The Blues, apart from their keeper who did ok. Canvey battled well, deserved the win, but must put those 'tap-ins' away. How did Cobby miss that one at the end?. Lets just hope Mick Bodley's injury isn't too bad.

This is the report from the Thurrock Gazette, to put a balanced view on it, to see if Blueboy is correct...<p>-------------<p>Blues may have lost their unbeaten home record, but it was to a side that will probably win the Ryman League championship. <p>Canvey Island arrived at the Rec on Tuesday night as the current leaders and even at this stage of the season difficult to see even a temporary loss of their status. <p>The FA Trophy winners did have to work for their 14th win from their last 15 games and will now recognize just how far Grays have come inside 12 months. <p>Yet the Islanders did control most of the possession and could and should have won with more to spare. <p>As Blues pushed forward in the closing minutes to try and cancel out Steve Parmenter's 39th-minute goal, gaps were inevitably left at the back and substitutes Wayne Vaughan and Paul Cobb had clear chances - the latter's an absolute sitter. <p>But the mention of golden opportunities needs to includes the one Blues spurned. <p>That came after only three minutes and had it gone in.. well, who knows? <p>Sammy Cooper had delivered a clever and accurate pass into the path of Alex Fiddes, but on his weaker foot the shot proved no great threat to Ashley Harrison who kept it out with his legs. <p>The evening didn't get any better for the midfielder either, althrough through no fault of his own. After having his head trodden on by Micky Bennett, for which the midfielder was booked, Fiddes suffered a broken nose courtesy of an elbow. <p>Grays thought referee Ralph Bone should have taken more decisive action over the incident and weren't best pleased with the official's performance particularly as he was to dismiss John O'Sullivan on a second yellow card after 66 minutes. <p>The defender's problem was that he had only just received his first caution for a bad challenge on Chris Duffy and so was still in Bone's mind when producing a clumsy, but not malicious, foul on Parmenter. <p>Blues biggest midweek league crowd for years - some 702 - had the added attraction of a late bonfire celebration in one of the gardens that back on to the main stand. There were, though, few fireworks on the pitch during the first half. <p>A somewhat tetchy affair was short on quality until the goal. Canvey put together the first passing movement of the night for the ball to reach John Kennedy on the right and his low cross was turned in at close range by Parmenter. <p>Occasionally Grays were able to catch Canvey light at their back, but like their opponents, their finishing was often high wide and handsome. Top scorer Nathan Thomas was introduced in place of Dean Allen to start the second half. <p>Thomas, troubled by an ankle injury, was unable to make too much impact, but another substitute, John Morgan (for Cooper), did almost bring an equaliser. <p>Within minutes of his arrval he showed why Grays paid £5,000 for him with a superb cross which seemed to take Fiddes and Mervyn Abraham by surprise and from no more than five yards out the opportunity went begging. <p>Jamie Lunan did really well to deflect over Parmenter's angled drive from outside the box as Canvey really started to look the part. <p>Grays could never really get a hold in the game. In most of their matches this term they've stopped teams playing through them in midfield, but here they were given some of their own medicine. <p>Too often and much to Edwards' frustration, Blues were often reduced to hopeful punts forward. <p>"We're very disappointed and didn't play particularly well, but let's not forget that Canvey are one of the top non-league teams in the country," added Edwards. <p>

Taken from the Thurrock Gazette

How did you get the name Gullible???? We were awful you say yet you struggled to beat us with 10 men and with us having the better chances. Lucky you didn't catch us on a good day. And please don't take the Purfleet F.C. Gazette as gospel

As it happens can't suffer it in here, i thought Aldershots board was biased but this is crazy. Has Kingy made a load of Stepford Supporters. " Canvey are great We love Canvey We are great"

I wouldn't say it was a struggle to beat 10 men, more like playing out the remainder of the game without acquiring further injuries or bookings. I dont think Grays were ever a credible threat on the night.

It's a bit much, innit? All them Canvey fans coming on the Canvey section of the board and saying they think Canvey are great. I mean you don't get that on any other section of the discussion board, do you? I don't think.<p>Come onto this section of the board by all means, Blueboy. But stick your head above the parapet at your peril. You'll find you're meat and gravy to the likes of CANV, VIC, GULL-IBLE, et. al.<p>Ask CARJAM

What do you mean we struggled to beat 10 men. Most of the time you had more players on their feet than us cos the only way you could handle us was to chop us down. DIDN'T WORK THOUGH DID IT. I imagine that you score a lot of goals on the break with them quick players, but you've got to get up early to beat our defence, especially, with two of em out injured (one until you lot started taking us out.) Well done boys, here we go here we go.....