Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 13-December 17 )

• Photo
    hairbear

• Photo
    Ramschav

• Photo
    Hitby

Photo

As someone who ...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
6 replies to this topic

offline Unrecognized Genius

Unrecognized Genius
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
...could easily hang around with Snow White, if I stuck on a false beard and got a silly hat, I've taken an interest, over the years, in chaps who could say the same thing & who've pulled on the Fleet jersey.

The visual image of Huggy Leroy partnering Ben Abbey up front made me feel proud on behalf of all vertically challenged people & called to mind those from the past. As there's nothing much else going on at the moment, I though I'd compile my own 'little' list. Perhaps people would like to add any I've missed.

EC's Little List of Fleet Greats (or not)

Tommy Watson
Somebody or other (Tony?) Winston (played briefly around 1977)
Dave Bostock (not sure he quite had the require lack of inches)
Pip Jeffery
Gary Groome (Played in the shortest Fleet team of all time. I'd swear there wasn't a player over 5'8'' in the whole squad at one time)
Gary Aldous
Gary's assistant - Papa Smurf - premature dementia has erased his name from my memory (Peter ...?)
Louis Afor
Justin Skinner (just)
Ben Abbey
Leroy Huggers (if he signs)

That's my starter then. Any additions gratefully received.

EC

offline CC

CC
  • Reserves
Davey Powell

offline Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
Tony Towner

offline russboy

russboy
  • Reserves
Along the line of vertically challenged players, Yeovil looked to have an entire squad of midgets last season, and were by far the best team in the league - maybe if we could keep the ball down and play it about like Yeovil then a couple of sub 6 footers up front won't matter ?

I'm not so sure it's Liam's height that needs replacing, more his tenacity and bulldog approach to chasing every lost cause.

offline John@TheFleet

John@TheFleet
  • Reserves Coach
When we won the Ryman, the reason we did so well in the first half of the season is because we DID play football, i.e. ball to feet, good passing, all the stuff you want and basically out-played everyone. It seems from the home Canvey game onwards, including last season, we've been pumping balls up the middle instead of keeping possession and working an opening. Admittingly, there are better players in the Conference who will close you down quicker but there are also some bloody big centre-halves who are going to deal the high balls every time. And I've gone totally AWOL from the original thread subject!! Never mind,eh. If you fancy a grin, though, visit the Canvey forum. They're having a right old go with the Southend lot and it's worth sticking your oar in now and again!!

offline Bloodnock

Bloodnock
Peter Cofill is the name I think your looking for.
How about: Peter Corthine
Ivan green
Bobby Gibson
Peter Allwright,i'll admit i'm going back into the dim distant a bit.

offline Unrecognized Genius

Unrecognized Genius
You're right on Papa Smurf. Peter Cofill, indeed.

Name came back to me, as I strolled to the gym this morning. Got to compensate for the lack of inches (head to toe only, I hasten to add) somehow. Oooh! You should see my six pack, ladies.

Of your suggestions, I can remember Peter Allwright. Can't put a face to Bobby Gibson, but the name rings a bell. Late 70s/early 80s? My 1st season was the year we got promoted to the Southern Premier only to tumble down the next. Either 70/71 or 71/72.

Totally agree with Dave Powell & Tony postman Towner. (Is Lee Turner still similarly employed?)

How tall were Tony Weston & Dave Sargeant?

EC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus