Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

ANDY'S QUOTES AFTER BURTON GAME

“At the end of the day possession won the game. If you can retain possession the other team are running.Every time we won the ball we gave it away. Technically they were slightly better than us. They had a large slice of possession today and that’s what the game was all about. Their first touch was better. Our passing let us down. We’ve done at least 25% more running than they have. I could see they were going to score. I was just waiting for it to happen.”

“Up front Ben Abbey and Leroy Huggins need to start working as a pair. Steve Perkins did well and was busy in midfield, but he was shattered at half time. His legs were gone. They were like jelly. I should have taken him off really. He’s a big plus and a good acquisition for us. “

“Adrian Pennock has not been training more than a couple of weeks and we always planned to use all three subs today in these conditions. We were losing possession. After we scored we sat back a little bit. We had five in midfield but so did they. They only had one up front. We were asking Adrian to step in, otherwise we had three big centre backs marking one player. That’s why we were losing possession in front of us.”

“When we went to 4-4-2 they went to 4-4-2. But our midfield today were a little bit loose. Technically they have probably got better players than us. These conditions today don’t really suit us. We’re about hustle and bustle, getting in behind, squeezing the play and making it difficult for people to play against us.

“Today keeping the ball was the right tactic but I don’t think our midfield players kept the ball very well.”

“I thought we started quite strong. There are six players making their debut out there and it was the first time that eleven has played together. I’m disappointed. Our general play was pretty poor.”

“It will take half a dozen games for the players to gell together. We’ve got to make sure that we don’t lose confidence. The crowd can help us or kill us. We’re short of a couple of players. We’re short in one area and are over balanced in other areas. We’ve got to get it right.”

“If I could have got hold of the three big signings I mentioned at the launch of the Fleet Trust we’d be challenging, but unfortunately those three slipped away to other clubs. We’ve had to go for inexperienced lads.”

Quote:
Charles Webster said:
“ Technically they have probably got better players than us. These conditions today don’t really suit us. We’re about hustle and bustle, getting in behind, squeezing the play and making it difficult for people to play against us.

I agree with what Andy said in his assesment of todays performance. It just worries me when Andy says our game is about hussle and bustle. You can only get away with this sort of approach for so long. The decent teams in this league will always find away to undo hussle and bustle teams. I just hope we pick up some points in the next two matches otherwise i can see us rock bottom with zero points after the first 6 games. The fact that Andy admits we're technically not as good as Burton is his fault as he's the one who gets the players in.
We need to continue to play a back five as its essential we keep it tight as we're unlikely to bang 4 goals past anyone at the moment.
I dont see it as all doom and gloom as i said earlier the foundations of a team start with the defence and i feel that we're very solid there. A loan signing striker is what we need in the short term while Andy finds a long term man for us.

Totally agree Matt, as I said in my post on the other thread, we should start playing real football, big ball over the top, no good anymore. especially when we have small front runners, who unlike the Burton player seemed unable to turn the defenders.We need someone to help out, Perkins height in midfield made a lot of difference.

I am trying this morning to be more optimistic, but the Burton's of this league are the Teams we just have to beat and we cannot afford to lose many more home matches

Quote:

“It will take half a dozen games for the players to gell together. "

Isn't that what pre-season friendlies are for?

I realise that you can't keep players who want to leave and that we have struggled to attract new players but we need to have a team now. If we hadn't made a good start last season we would have gone down...we certainly can't give anyone a six game start!

The usual nonsence from Mr Ford. Not his fault at all. Well poor preperation during the close season, poor decision making during the close season, and disatrous man management during the lat 12 months were the real reasons why we were so inept against Burton. We all know he works very hard to try and get things right, but unfortunatly his efforts are usualy to no avail. Can the club progress the way it needs to with him as manager? I'm begining to wonder.

If you are happy with way Andy Ford has moved things on since last season then there is no need for an alternative. However if like me you want the club to maintain it's Conference status and improve, then the only alternative is for the board to begin the search for someone better tactical and personal skills than Andy (although it will be difficult to find someone who is harder working) before it's to late.

Maybe Ford is telling the players the right tactics but the players aren't delivering. Remember the World Cup and the long ball game England started playing? Sven didn't know where the hell that came from 'cos the team didn't practise it in training. It's a natural 'panic' reaction, if in doubt, hoof it up-field. We all know on-the-deck football wins games and I'm damned sure Andy knows that as well.

please lets not get on andy's back already.

2 seasons ago he got us promoted, against all odds - great achievement. last season we stayed up, against all odds - even greater achievement. at the end of the day as long as we finish one position higher than last season that is also an improvement.

after all- getting a new manager will not help anything, its not as if he would be able to splash out on new players. he'll also need time to settle in, time that we simply cannot afford to waste.

lets give the team time to gel, many were debutants on saturday, and lets not forget the anchor of the team (jacko) is no longer here, and that will take a lot of getting used to.

lets be honest we cant compete in the transfer market with all these full time teams, and so is it really andy's fault that we havent bought that illusive super-striker yet?

we need drury back to get things going up front but at least our defence IS stronger than it was last season. we need to get behind the team, and the manager, and things will sort themselves out. honest...

The biggest problem is lack of a decent striker with all due respect to Abbey and Huggins they are not good enough for conference football, the midfield formation was too light weight and what the hell has Matt Lee done wrong McClements might be alright going forward but his defensive qualities were very suspect. I think no I know if we do not sign any forwards we will get relegated