Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Carshalton

Merv

I really enjoyed today’s game and thought we were very unlucky not to get all three points. The Carshalton ‘keeper had a deal of luck with the ball hitting his knee from one shot and the crossbar from another.

For some spells of the game we resorted to lumping the ball forward in the forlorn hope that our forwards would somehow out-jump the defence and set something up. Of course, nothing came from this tactic. But for much of the time, especially in the second half, we played the ball on the deck and the resulting football was both exciting to watch and always looked dangerous. With a little bit of luck (and some better first touches from some of the Canvey players) we might have scored a hat-full of goals.

Just like last Tuesday, I thought the back four were guilty of too much panic whenever they were under pressure and it was from here that too many long balls were belted anywhere. Too often the ball simply went to a red midfielder who put it back into the danger area. Row Z is a reasonable response when a clearance is done under great pressure, but I felt that with a little bit more composure the defence could have put some more thoughtful balls through to our own midfield. However, the job of the defence is to stop the opponents from scoring and apart from one pathetic free-kick that somehow snook into the bottom corner of the net, that is exactly what they did.

Thought our new signing looked good but I especially liked Danny Heale’s contribution. I think he is going to be a great asset to the team. And what can you say about Wardy? Still a sex God!

Merv

Was impressed with Rhodes today, he played a vital role in our goal and was unlucky not to score with his free-kick too. Matt Game and Danny Heale still prove to be quality signings. The backline were shaky at times and their distribution did leave a lot to be desired.

Personally, I thought Robbie King had a sound game today, probably the best I've seen him play in a Canvey shirt so far.

My only gripe would be that I know every Manager has his favourite players, but I don't think it should extend to playing them out of position to fit them all in the starting XI. I know Curran did well out wide against Harrow and to a certain degree he did ok today taking on an unfamiliar role but I would've thought it more sensible to start with a naturally wide player like Isa.

Again as like against Harrow we had to put up with poor Officials, but I would expect that every game to be honest.

Carshalton will probably feel unlucky not to take all three points after hitting the side netting and the post, but it's likewise with us hitting the crossbar.

Two tough games coming up against 'Ricay and Tooting during the week.

Thought it was a good performance today and certainly in the last 20 minutes we dominated the game and had some great chances to win the match.

No idea how Rowey managed to hit the bar from a few yards out and Carshalton got lucky on a number of occasions especially when Game's effort was cleared off of the line.

Defence was a bit shakey at times but generally did well.

Thought Robbie King was good today. Worked hard and rarely gave the ball away. Definitely the best game he's had in a Canvey shirt.

Was impressed with Matt Game's workrate. He looks like an excellent signing. Ashley Dumas I thought also showed his class today.

Was pleased with some of the football we played today. Hope we can continue that on Monday in what will be a tough game at Billericay.

I was very pleased with our mentality yesterday, and the football we played was the best I have seen for a long while. I lost count of the number of passing moves that linked up the likes of Rhodes, Heale, Game, and Rowe, and it's a shame that we couldn't score the goals that our second half performance deserved.

I thought Curran was a good shout for man of the match, and his performance on the right wing was very impressive. He's never been a prolific goalscorer in the Ryman League, but his work rate and desire to get forward would be a loss to the team. Based on yesterday's performance I'd be quite happy to see him out on the right wing going forward, but with Isa Hussein and Leon Gordon (when fit) ready to step into his place he'll have plenty of competition.

Matt Game was tremendous, and with him, Danny Heale, and Steve Ward, we have signed exactly the three type of players that I felt we really needed going into this season - a tireless centre midfielder, a centre forward who can hold the ball up and bring others into the game, and a quality centre back. With Danny, I think it's obvious to see that James Rowe is appreciating playing alongside a player of his quality, and I'm sure that between them they will create plenty of chances for each other this season. As for Alex Rhodes, his ability was very obvious from the outset, and I think he could prove to be a great signing.

Overall I was very happy with what I saw yesterday, and I hope we can take that level of performance with some better finishing to Ricay on Monday.

A very enjoyable thread to read with many valid views on todays game..

In all honesty a game we should of won after dominating for large periods of the game.. Our passing and movement was superb..

A soft free kick that went through the defencive wall left James Russell with no chance, apart from that Carshalton only had one real chance and that was deep into injury time.

Rowey missed 2 superb chance and normally they would of hit the onion bag, i thought his movement and pace was outstanding today.

Healsey seems to be enjoying himself at the club, some early league goals for him and some excellent hold up and link up play with Rowey, Gammo and Rhodes.. More exciting stuff to come from the Heale & Rowe strike force.

I agree with the Great Escape, i thought Jay Curran was superb today and just edged the MOM performance from Alex Rhodes. What Curran has is an amazing work ethic and attitude to give his all to the team and i thought yesterday he drove the team forward on a number of occassions.. With Leon Gordon and Isa Hussain at the club we have some good options in that area.

Defence wise i thought we dealt with a fairly lively Carshalton forward line pretty well, Byron Harrisson is decent and he will cause most CB at this level trouble. Saying that Wardy and Morro did the required job..

Tough game ahead at Ricay on Monday but im sure its a challenge the lads are looking forward too.

Great to see the home crowd singing and pushing the team forward yesterday!

Yellooowsss!!