Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island 0 - 2 Tooting & Mitcham

Matt H

HAVE to get this match out of our system. I'm glad we've done it early in the season as it's always a poor match when we play them.

We totally dominated the first 20 minutes and should've been at least 3-nil up before we conceeded from anothe weak free-kick. We hit the bar twice in the first half and Heale's early freekick was turned around the post. Add that to half a dozen "should've beens" and Tooting didn't have a reply.

Once their first goal went in though, our heads dropped, we played too narrow and passed too short. Our midfield did well, they played the ball about between them but it hardly got anywhere near their penalty area in the second half. Tooting played the ball into the flanks and across the pitch, which we tried but were often closed down quicky. (Second half Tooting put strings of 14+ passes together compared to ours of about 5 at the most).

Thought Matt Game, Dobbo (MotM for me), Dumas, Wardy, Everett and Mooro had good games considering. I wasn't at the Billericay game so when I read about us not taking our chances, I couldn't quite understand having seen the form Rowe and Heale were taking into the game, but after today I see what people meant.

Both goals were soft to be fair. Russell did well to stop the intial blocks, but a cynic would say their should never have been a follow-up for each.

You get days like today, where the luck goes against you and despite everything you try nothing seems to pay off. Oh well, roll on the FA Cup!