Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Are Hoddesdon Town FC good enough for PROMOTION?

I know who Wooden Spoon is talking about and was only chatting to him in the St Mags clubhouse a couple of weeks ago. He can't remember his password to get back on here....

Would that be a little short bloke? AKA ABC.....???

Thats him and he was asked to leave...

Why was he asked to leave?

I know who Wooden Spoon is talking about and was only chatting to him in the St Mags clubhouse a couple of weeks ago. He can't remember his password to get back on here....

By e-mail from the 1st team manager who didn`t have the bollox to call him in and tell him face to face....He is bitter in the way he was treated by the club and hopes that the idiot fails in getting the 1st team promoted. Bring back Geoff!!!!

By e-mail from the 1st team manager who didn`t have the bollox to call him in and tell him face to face....He is bitter in the way he was treated by the club and hopes that the idiot fails in getting the 1st team promoted. Bring back Geoff!!!!

Not much chance of that happening!

Right then.....

Ive been off of here for quite a long time, mainly due to work commitments and other things but I thought it was about time I came on here and set the record straight about a few things relating to Hoddesdon Town!!!

• After an awesome start to the season, we have hit a poor patch of late and have dropped some silly points. Promotion is still a possibility but is now a much tougher ask. Yes we have had injuries, the most i can ever remember in my 16 year association with the club but its not an excuse, just a possible reason we have struggled of late. As someone mentioned earlier, we signed Dean Barker at the start of the season, last seasons leading Div 1 goalscorer and he got injured in his first pre season game. He is bitterly disappointed as he has never had an injury in his life but hopefully he will be back in the next few weeks and start banging in some goals!! Whilst it is always disappointing to exit any cup competition, the league is our bread and butter and perhaps its a blessing that we are no longer in some of the cups!! We have a new reserve management team in place who are also young and exciting and a fantastic youth team who are one of the most promising bunch of players ive seen in some time at Lowfield.
  • We have a new manager who is young, hungry and has turned the club round thus far with regards to the quality of the playing staff, the quality of the training sessions, coaching staff, professional sports therapist and much more besides. In his first managerial role, the club, players and fans support him 100% and whilst we wanna go up (who doesnt!!??) if it doesnt happen on his first attempt, he will still have the backing of ALL the members of this club (that doesnt include those who have recently been asked to leave the club and now find themselves pitching up on here, hiding behind a user name......) Talking of which.....................................
  • Wooden Spoon/ABC/Pier/whatever you are called this week:- As much as I love you (and i do love you, you crack me up...) its really boring now. Im sorry you are no longer involved at HTFC, I think you did a good job of what you did, especially for the youth team but Steve and Andy didnt see eye to eye and therefore Andy had to make a change. I respect you for backing Steve as well as taking the moral high ground and tendering your resignation but you really need to move on now and let by gones be bygones. Hopefully you will be involved with another club soon as you have a lot to offer in terms of support and that might take your mind off of bad mouthing Hoddesdon Town, St Mugs, Borxbourne Badgers and every other team you have fallen out with in your illustrious career!! Like you told me the other week, you love a bit of banter and are the king of stirrers (Piers Facebook photo is that of a giant spoon!!!) but its gone on too long now. I promise ill never ever slag off Arsenal and Italy again........So do us all a favour and SHUDDUP AYA FACE!!!!!!! Much love xx

Right then, what else have I missed lately? Rhodes behaving himself?? NF still the pillar of unbias?? Uncle Urchin still a tw&t?? Excellent.

: D

Wooden Spoon is not Pier Jonno! (I don't think so anyway)

I try to be unbias... except when Rhodes is being a dick!

UU hasn't been seen for a year or so coffee%20(2).gif

Well to counter the claims made by Jonno, of course very valid as he knows more than most of us about that club.....my opinion after watching Hoddy 3 times this season are.

1 The side is nowhere near as good as the one Ive seen the past 3 or 4 seasons. and they didnt get promotion

2 Sacking the previous Manager was foolish. The current one seemed to be a big fat bloke who went in goal once I was told so obviously not enough players on the bench or provision for a goalkeeper being sent off. Surely a good Manager prepares for this.

3 The decent players still at the club werent quite good enough to gain promotion so what makes you think they can now?

Just my opinions. Robert

Well to counter the claims made by Jonno, of course very valid as he knows more than most of us about that club.....my opinion after watching Hoddy 3 times this season are.

1 The side is nowhere near as good as the one Ive seen the past 3 or 4 seasons. and they didnt get promotion

2 Sacking the previous Manager was foolish. The current one seemed to be a big fat bloke who went in goal once I was told so obviously not enough players on the bench or provision for a goalkeeper being sent off. Surely a good Manager prepares for this.

3 The decent players still at the club werent quite good enough to gain promotion so what makes you think they can now?

Just my opinions. Robert

the big fat bloke is not the manager he is one of the coaches who is a goalkeeper and has played at a good standard but is now commited to coaching rather than playing. As he still keeps his hand in he was on the bench as sub keeper and although he did conceed 3 it was certainly not the reason for the loss in that game. by naming him on the bench it means the reserve keeper could play for the reserves rather than travel on the off chance!!! Not many clubs at this level take a sub keeper as the amount of games it will be needed are limited and it would mean someone not getting game time for most of the season, this doesnt mean the managers of those teams are not good managers. Incidently the previous manager didnt take a sub keeper either!!

Not knowing which games you have seen i cant comment but the New bradwell one was awful!!

The decent players who are still at the club have been added to by more quality and the young ones are getting better and wiser by the game. This plus injured players returning will help in a push for top 2/3 soon

Top ed.....at the end of the day points is what gets you promotion, not excuses.

By using your other keeper for game time in the reserves is understandable, but good managers take nothing for chance, if a forward can get injured, or a midfielder get sent off then don't think it can;t happen to a keeper, as happened in your game at NB.

The performance that day was poor, definately not promotion standard, also being the first side to lose to Stony Stratford and losing at a lesser Harpenden Rovers would suggest that your 2nd/3rd prediction would only come about if other teams around the top throw away games you should be winning.

Maybe for your manager as it's his first stint in management then this season maybe a season or two too early, but as you say, if the club stick by him and he is given time to learn the ropes then no doubt the time will come.

Right then.....

Ive been off of here for quite a long time, mainly due to work commitments and other things but I thought it was about time I came on here and set the record straight about a few things relating to Hoddesdon Town!!!

• After an awesome start to the season, we have hit a poor patch of late and have dropped some silly points. Promotion is still a possibility but is now a much tougher ask. Yes we have had injuries, the most i can ever remember in my 16 year association with the club but its not an excuse, just a possible reason we have struggled of late. As someone mentioned earlier, we signed Dean Barker at the start of the season, last seasons leading Div 1 goalscorer and he got injured in his first pre season game. He is bitterly disappointed as he has never had an injury in his life but hopefully he will be back in the next few weeks and start banging in some goals!! Whilst it is always disappointing to exit any cup competition, the league is our bread and butter and perhaps its a blessing that we are no longer in some of the cups!! We have a new reserve management team in place who are also young and exciting and a fantastic youth team who are one of the most promising bunch of players ive seen in some time at Lowfield.
  • We have a new manager who is young, hungry and has turned the club round thus far with regards to the quality of the playing staff, the quality of the training sessions, coaching staff, professional sports therapist and much more besides. In his first managerial role, the club, players and fans support him 100% and whilst we wanna go up (who doesnt!!??) if it doesnt happen on his first attempt, he will still have the backing of ALL the members of this club (that doesnt include those who have recently been asked to leave the club and now find themselves pitching up on here, hiding behind a user name......) Talking of which.....................................
  • Wooden Spoon/ABC/Pier/whatever you are called this week:- As much as I love you (and i do love you, you crack me up...) its really boring now. Im sorry you are no longer involved at HTFC, I think you did a good job of what you did, especially for the youth team but Steve and Andy didnt see eye to eye and therefore Andy had to make a change. I respect you for backing Steve as well as taking the moral high ground and tendering your resignation but you really need to move on now and let by gones be bygones. Hopefully you will be involved with another club soon as you have a lot to offer in terms of support and that might take your mind off of bad mouthing Hoddesdon Town, St Mugs, Borxbourne Badgers and every other team you have fallen out with in your illustrious career!! Like you told me the other week, you love a bit of banter and are the king of stirrers (Piers Facebook photo is that of a giant spoon!!!) but its gone on too long now. I promise ill never ever slag off Arsenal and Italy again........So do us all a favour and SHUDDUP AYA FACE!!!!!!! Much love xx

Right then, what else have I missed lately? Rhodes behaving himself?? NF still the pillar of unbias?? Uncle Urchin still a tw&t?? Excellent.

: D

You are so wrong!!!! Keep trying!!!

Wooden Spoon is not Pier Jonno! (I don't think so anyway)

I try to be unbias... except when Rhodes is being a dick!

UU hasn't been seen for a year or so coffee%20(2).gif

NF - Pier is a wind up merchant but he is no WOODEN SPOON....

I didn't think you was Pier as your grammar and punctuation is so much better than his! Maybe you'll let me know who you are one day, I suspect I know you cool.gif

Top ed.....at the end of the day points is what gets you promotion, not excuses.

By using your other keeper for game time in the reserves is understandable, but good managers take nothing for chance, if a forward can get injured, or a midfielder get sent off then don't think it can;t happen to a keeper, as happened in your game at NB.

The performance that day was poor, definately not promotion standard, also being the first side to lose to Stony Stratford and losing at a lesser Harpenden Rovers would suggest that your 2nd/3rd prediction would only come about if other teams around the top throw away games you should be winning.

Maybe for your manager as it's his first stint in management then this season maybe a season or two too early, but as you say, if the club stick by him and he is given time to learn the ropes then no doubt the time will come.

ref off ref, you make a couple of fair points but sadly football isnt always as black and white as that. This is the wonderful thing about football everyone has a different opinion and as long as its not abusive it makes this forum interesting!! The only down side is some people just want to be abusive and comment on situations they dont completely know about which i feel is very sad!

You are right to point out poor results but i feel i must also point out wins against Royston, Harpenden, London Lions and Bedford Town reserves who are all very good teams. Hopefully a return to that sort of form will give Hoddesdon a chance to push up the league and fight for a top 3 finish. Luckily most teams outside Berko have dropped points so a good run can quickly make up for disapointments.

lets keep up good football chat and ignore the people who are only interested in abusing people and clubs..

ref off ref, you make a couple of fair points but sadly football isnt always as black and white as that. This is the wonderful thing about football everyone has a different opinion and as long as its not abusive it makes this forum interesting!! The only down side is some people just want to be abusive and comment on situations they dont completely know about which i feel is very sad!

You are right to point out poor results but i feel i must also point out wins against Royston, Harpenden, London Lions and Bedford Town reserves who are all very good teams. Hopefully a return to that sort of form will give Hoddesdon a chance to push up the league and fight for a top 3 finish. Luckily most teams outside Berko have dropped points so a good run can quickly make up for disapointments.

lets keep up good football chat and ignore the people who are only interested in abusing people and clubs..

That sort of form will need to start tomorrow against STONY STRATFORD. Mind you are they not one of the clubs that have already beaten Hoddesdon Town FC???

That sort of form will need to start tomorrow against STONY STRATFORD. Mind you are they not one of the clubs that have already beaten Hoddesdon Town FC???

Pier, you're right, it has to be 3 points tomorrow, no doubt!!Dont want a repeat performance!!

Come on you lillywhites!!!

Great Club with best Chairman around.

You need to get out more mate, keep talking out your backside and you'll end up in Rhodes gang.

Pier, you're right, it has to be 3 points tomorrow, no doubt!!Dont want a repeat performance!!

Jonno, im fed up of being blamed for comments made by wooden spoon, for the last time I AM NOT WOODEN SPOON!!!!

Well this thread seems to be provoking some lively debate alright. Quite a bit of it inaccurate though IMHO.

As an occassional watcher of Hoddesdon I have to say that Jonno's staunch defence of his club is somewhat wide of the mark. This years team is simply nowhere near as good as last years one or the years or two before that. There were a number of good players there last year most of which I havnt seen this season, which leads me to assume they have left for other clubs. I do agree with jonno that the club has turned around, as it now appears to be going in the opposite direction to last year, i.e. backwards. The football I watched on my occasional visits last year was exciting with good attacking players and lots of goals, I cant say i have seen even a hint of that this season.

Just a glance at the league table would suggest that most of the good start to season revolved around playing the lower sides in the division rather than anything else. I agree that they do have a young management team in place right now. But is that really the way to go for a club that craves promotion asap. Personally I would suggest not.

So heres a thought that i'm sure will provoke even more lively debate. At what point does the chairman (roger i think) begin to accept some responsibility for the non promotions rather than blame current or previuos managers for 6 or 7 failed promotion campaigns. The chairman after all at most clubs is another name for cheif decision maker and there for his appointments etc must be a part of the overall nearly but not quite culture of recent seasons.

I may even get over there today to see if things look any better.