Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Midweek Fixtures & Results - 12/13 October

Rhodes

I thought there would be more fixtures this week, is it because England are playing tonight:

Tuesday 12 October

Premier Division

Carterton v Shrivenham

Flackwell Heath v Ascot United

Highworth Town v Abingdon Town

Pegasus Juniors v Wantage Town

Reading Town v Binfield

Shortwood United v Wootton Bassett Town

Witney United v Fairford Town

Wokingham & Emmbrook v Kidlington

Wednesday 13 October

Premier Division

Old Woodstock Town v Ardley United

Oxford City Nomads v Slimbridge

Reserve Division 1

Cheltenham Saracens Reserves v Wootton Bassett Town Reserves

Last night's results:

Tuesday 12 October

Premier Division

2 2 Carterton v Shrivenham

3 0 Flackwell Heath v Ascot United

http://www.ascotunited.co.uk/fixDetail.asp?sec=1&age=4&team=72&seas=2010&fixID=13837

4 0 Highworth Town v Abingdon Town

1 6 Pegasus Juniors v Wantage Town

1 1 Reading Town v Binfield

4 1 Shortwood United v Wootton Bassett Town

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/shortwoodunited/?primary=senior&secondary=matchreports&team_id=9155&report_id=88748

0 0 Witney United v Fairford Town

1 2 Wokingham & Emmbrook v Kidlington

http://www.kidlingtonfc.co.uk/matchreport.html

Last night's action:

Wednesday 13 October

Premier Division

0 0 Old Woodstock Town v Ardley United

1 2 Oxford City Nomads v Slimbridge

Reserve Division 1

1 2 Cheltenham Saracens Reserves v Wootton Bassett Town Reserves

Wednesday 13 October

1 2 Oxford City Nomads v Slimbridge

A comprehensive report on this one:

Hellenic League Premier

Oxford City Nomads 1 Slimbridge 2

Entry: £5, Programme: £1

Attendance: quick headcount of 40

Another enjoyable evening of banter in the company of JimmyJazz and TheWavendonian. This was TheWav's first visit to the delights of Court Place Farm while I'm probably crawling slowly towards my 100th time, so in the interests of the new WDYG 'Ground-Not-Match' guidelines maybe its about time I wrote about the place ...

Built in 1993 to replace the historic city-centre White House Ground, Court Place Farm is amazingly easy to get to by car - right next to the Marston junction on the A40, with two spacious carparks (one as you come off the road, and another much closer behind the clubhouse). Not too bad by public transport, with the x13 bus to the hospital passing nearby, and even by foot (my usual route) its only 40min walk through the lovely semi-rural landscape of the Cherwell meadows. And if you're up for it you could even punt or row a boat there, up the River Cherwell to the enjoyable Victoria Arms where I met the chuckle brothers last night, with enough hand pumps to keep even PonteCarlo happy for a couple of hours. TheWav also took great delight in ticking off the excellent Meditteranean Chip Bar round the corner.

Unfortunately, inside the ground its all alittle too functional for the romantic, and with the exception of City's holiday derbys against Didcot or Banbury, I've never really experienced a crackling atmosphere here. I watch Nomads frequently because I love the Hellenic, but it has to be said that the Hellenic always seems just abit more fun at Abingdon or Kidlington. However, the clubhouse here is spacious and there is even a giant patio of plastic garden furniture to enjoy in sunnier weather, plus cover on three sides, hot food and a decent strip of terracing along one side. Attendances have been down across the board this season, not helped by Oxford United's promotion back to the bright lights, but anyone tempted by a journey here could do worse than visit Tuesday next week when City play a Southern Premier relegation dogfight against Halesowen, with a bargain entry of just £3. Atmosphere aplenty that night, methinks!

On the pitch Nomads (the equally struggling reserve side) are still trying to turn the corner, this their eleventh defeat of the season. Their second half performance was a sterling effort, but as they were already 0-2 by then it was all too-little-too-late, and quite frankly a high-flying Slimbridge should really have won by a more handsome margin, the woodwork and Nomads' 'keeper denying them several times. After that, it was off to The Kings Arms for more ale, including a pint of Kettering 'Potbelly'.