Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

To those of you behind the goal

Sorry chaps, the behaviour of many of you today was pitiful.

For the first 30 minutes it looked as if we would take the game by the scruff of the neck. Was there any encouragement from the meagre handful behind the goal? Zilch.

You were disappointed we were doing well. You'd come determined to see us well beaten. Well, in the end, you got what you wanted & then you actually started making a noise, with your pathetic drum-accompanied demands. Last season & the one before I took my hat off to you guys. I thought you were like a breath of fresh air. Today, you revealed what you really are. A bunch of Johnny-Come-Latelies with no stomach for a bit of a struggle.

Sod off back to your armchairs, boys, or decide to support the nearest Premier League team who's likely to do well. We Don't want you any more.

Lennie Mac

you have only seen one game this season , and you fortunately saw 30 mins of something resembling football. i agree that the support should be of a more positive nature , but we have not had much to sing and dance about after 6 games. i have been to 5 of the 6 games (missed farnbourough) and in my opinion we have as many points as we deserve. apparently against farborough we were bad but they were worse.

wouldnt it be great if the singing wasnt left to the odd couple of dozen behind the goal..... maybe if the rest of ground joined in instead of just cheering when goals are scored, the atmosphere would be the best in the league. but you and your fellow croanies would rather criticize the ones who sing than join in yourselves.... you lot dont even sing when we're winning!!!

and your comment about no stomach for a struggle should be directed at the team!!! do you really think we go to the ground because we wanna see our team lose???

is it wise to want fans to leave? the club needs all the extra tenners it can get. football fans are a very fickle bunch , if andy doesnt leave , and he turns the team around he will regain the support and respect of everyone. but i really cant see it happening!!!!

Quote:
mik said:
you have only seen one game this season , and you fortunately saw 30 mins of something resembling football. i agree that the support should be of a more positive nature , but we have not had much to sing and dance about after 6 games. i have been to 5 of the 6 games (missed farnbourough) and in my opinion we have as many points as we deserve. apparently against farborough we were bad but they were worse.

wouldnt it be great if the singing wasnt left to the odd couple of dozen behind the goal..... maybe if the rest of ground joined in instead of just cheering when goals are scored, the atmosphere would be the best in the league. but you and your fellow croanies would rather criticize the ones who sing than join in yourselves.... you lot dont even sing when we're winning!!!

Well I stand behind the goal every game but on the other side from 'the drumming boo-boys' and I can honestly say that the efforts have been abysmal from all of you! You follow your team even when things are not going well. You are supposed to cheer them on, provide encouragement & above all, realise that they are making an effort. They will have good days, bad days, fantastic performances & terrible ones.

How can the rest of the ground join in your singing if there isn't any?
What happened to the non-stop 'Andy Ford's red & white army'?

Reality has sunk in with you guys that we are going to struggle - not even a new manager will change that fact.

If you want a better team - drag all your mates down every week, thus increasing the club funds.

If we want to compete we really need 2000 a game - a town like Gravesend and the surrounding areas really should be able to attain that figure.

i have in fact been bringing 3 extra mates this year , and 2 kids...... they are already saying they cant see themselves coming to watch to many more games of such poor standard.

its a fact of life in all football grounds around the world , if the team dont put on a show , then the gates drop. we do need gates of 2000 and they are achievable , but its not going to happen the way things are at the moment.

its not a fact that we are going to struggle that bothers us , its the fact we dont put up a fight , we lay down and die!!!!

Quote:
mik said:
.....they are already saying they cant see themselves coming to watch to many more games of such poor standard.

its a fact of life in all football grounds around the world , if the team dont put on a show , then the gates drop.

Therefore, by admission, you would agree that clubs at various levels go through periods of poor performances and bad results?

Quote:
Super Daz said:
If we want to compete we really need 2000 a game - a town like Gravesend and the surrounding areas really should be able to attain that figure.

Are you having a laugh, 2000 a game?
Your dreaming mate, where would we find another thousand people who are willing to hand over a tenner for the dross we were served up with yesterday? A mental asylum maybe.

I'm finding it hard now to get mates to come along with me and yesterday, a couple said they are giving the next game a miss.

I think that we should accept that we are lucky to be in the situation we are in (conferance football), that we ain't going to be playing in this dvision next season. We are a tiny club, and the club are doing tothing to attract new fans at all. Regardless of results, the club is run by some right cowboys. No wonder we are having a job signing any new players of any talent.

Sack the Ford, and get some new people in who knopw how to runa football club instead of the muppets doing it now.

A suggestion of crowds as low as 500 would have been laughed at a few months back, but I'll have a bet with any of you that we have a crowd around the 500 mark by the end of the season.

Quote:
sacktheford said:

A suggestion of crowds as low as 500 would have been laughed at a few months back, but I'll have a bet with any of you that we have a crowd around the 500 mark by the end of the season.

Actually two seasons ago a crowd as high as 500 would have had the management laughing all the way to the bank.
When Andy Ford came to Gravesend it wasn't unusual to get crowds of 300 last year we averaged over 1200 but it is no surprise that the fans who have only come along because of the success Andy Ford brought to the club are the first to quit or call for his head when the side loses a few matches.

Yawn yawn, This used to happen that used to happen. Stories of the past. Reading what you lot on here are posting I get the impression that the directors, manager and supporters would like nothing better than to get back to the good old days of empty attendances and dire football. The way were going we will probably be back there sooner than you think!

The fact remains, we are rock bottom of the league, attendances are poor, and the club is being run like a boys football team. A town of Gravesend's size deserves a lot more than this. Sort it out and sort it out now!

Get a life pal

how can a crowd of 2000 make the players play better. Im even giving up going for a while. Why pay good money to see such crap on the field. Its embarrassing at the moment.

Sack Andy Ford

You lot live in the past too much its you that should give it up.

Always going on when people give their veiws

Well, boy wonder,that's what supporting a team is all about then, is it? I'll tell you something, I witnessed the 'Biddle out' campaign at Dartford in the eighties when they were in the then Alliance (now Conference) They were bottom of the league and not playing at all well.The 'supporters' decided it would be a good idea to chant 'what a load of rubbish' at every game, demand manager John Biddle's head on a plate and shout obsenities at the players. Many also vowed to stay away from matches. It did, in fact, achieve something. The manager was sacked, there was no money available for transfers and Dartford got relegated. Result, eh? The attitude of people at that time have been uncannily reproduced by people like yourself. I do live in the present, sonny, and I have got a life.I also support my club. What's your excuse.

Quote:
Super Daz said:
Actually.....if it means getting rid of the fickle johnny come lately's then perhaps you have a good idea there.

Fickle Johnny come lately's eh? I'd be interested to see if the club shares your opinions on new supporters - I very much doubt it. Supposedly the club are trying to attract new supporters and when it attracts them other supporters are calling them 'Johnny come lately's'.

Before you start I am certainly not what you would class as a Johnny come lately. However as somebody who realised that attracting new supporters throughout the area is a vital aspect in the modernisation of the club then I strongly object to your comments.

Obtaining promotion to the Conference went some way towards attracting new supporters and whether or not everyone on here likes it, they are bound to have different opinions and ideas on who should run the team or club and how.

I understand and applaud sensible and constructive argument in favour of Andy Ford, however I have seen little evidence of it so far on these forums. The majority of the points put forward in support of the current manager appear to be a mixture of 'it worked in the past, it will work for us now' and derogatory comments aimed at others.

If all Andy Ford's supporters' can raise in his defence are "Johnny come lately", "I'll be glad when the kids return to school" and ageism comments, then I fear for Mr Ford's future at the club.

Quote:
I understand and applaud sensible and constructive argument in favour of Andy Ford, however I have seen little evidence of it so far on these forums. The majority of the points put forward in support of the current manager appear to be a mixture of 'it worked in the past, it will work for us now' and derogatory comments aimed at others.

The Johnny come lately tag is unfair but slightly understandable as it seems to be mainly those supporters who have started coming since we became "successful" who are the quickest to complain the moment things start to go wrong, while those who have "seen it all before" are a little more laid back about things.

Having said that, there hasn't actually been a lot of constructive comments from the Ford must go camp either.

If you are going to replace the manager, then you have to know that he can be replaced with someone better, and at the moment the only offers we have had are Adrain Pennock, who is completely untested as a manager, and Paul Gasgoine on the grounds that he is rich and won't want paying. If this wasn't so serious it would be laughable.

Now as things stand we have to work within the budget constraints set by the board, and don't forget these constraints are not just set for the sheer hell of it, but to keep the club in business. Some of the knockers seem to think that if Andy were to go then players would come flooding to the club. This is arrant nonsense, while there may be some players who don't want to play for Andy, the biggest reason we can't sign players is [color:"red"] MONEY! [/color] This are professional footballers are are not going to take a pay cut just because they like the manager.

Do you think for one minute that all the Canvey players like Jeff King, or is it more likely that they go there because in round terms they can get twice as much money as they can playing for us. Both Ty Gooden and Junior MacDougald were prepared to talk to us but in the end were lured to the extra money, and I for one don't blame them for that.

If you really want this club to survive then you are going to have to play your part. Turn up to the matches, support the players, support the trust, and don't turn on the management the moment things go wrong. The season is only six matches old for God's sake.

Quote:
David Holden said:

If you really want this club to survive then you are going to have to play your part. Turn up to the matches, support the players, support the trust, and don't turn on the management the moment things go wrong. The season is only six matches old for God's sake.

Dave, I can understand your arguments regarding Andy's failure to attract certain players in the transfer market, and I would agree with you that it certainly appears that Andy's hands are tied when it comes to transfer funds. What has been raised and will continue to be raised time and time again are Andy's man-management skills and his tactical ability. In the next few matches hopefully Andy will prove to the on-lookers that there is no need for concern, however as I am sure you will appreciate Dave supporters patience and more importantly that of the board will only last so long.

I am sure that the one thing we can all agree on is that we all want the club to survive, and hopefully continue playing at this level. Unfortunately judging by the larger fan bases and more affluent bank balances of other clubs in our division this is proving to be a very hard task. I hate to say it but I would estimate that the funds generated by our current fan base are not sufficient to achieve this.

isn't it andy fords job to rasie the moral of the team if things don't go right? you can't relie just on the supporters to do that it's got to be everyone. a real supporter sticks with a club through the good and the bad and this my friends are the bad times lets get behind the fleet every week and lift the spirits i know things don't look good now but we can change that.

Some good discussion from both Camps I feel.

Shame that the thought of attracting 2000 is laughable now. Success breeds money/new fans and its up the current encumbents to do that. Was there talk of us reaching the Play Offs in the Reporter pre season? Now we are the laughing stock of the League.

I forsee difficult times ahead and rather then batten down the hatches and relive the past something drastic has to happen to turnaround our fortunes. Thats for the Board to decide with the backing of the Fans. Last season we had a good start but then fell away, what went wrong?