Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Eastside Urchin 2011 year list

Black necked grebe

Gannet

Bittern

Smew

Guillemot

Razorbill

Raven

Tree sparrow

148 species

Also had northern long tailed tits but don't think I can tick it lol

Denis (one of the boozybirders ;-)) told me about your blog report on the Norfolk trip so I had a gander. You obviously all had a splendid day especially the Northern Harrier. I hope that I see half the birds when I go on a trip to NW Norfolk on Sunday.

I couldn't beleive it when Den said that you dipped the Urchins to go birdwatching! :smilewinkgrin:

One moment while I don my pedants hat.

Surely Northern Harrier is merely the North American form of Hen Harrier and as such can't be added to your year list as you'd already seen Hen Harrier. You'd have as much right adding the Northern Long-tailed Tits to your year list as the Northern Harrier.

Removes pedants hat.

hmmmm will look into it,they look like completely different birds,the northern harrier had a reddish underside,and i would say although obviously very closely related due to appearance that they should probably be classed as a different subspecies,a bit like repdolls lol

As for the Northern Long Tailed tits,the same applies to be honest lol

Edited by Eastside Urchin

I've only seen the pictures of the Norfolk bird so far, although I have seen them in the States, and it is certainly a striking looking bird. I know some people are proposing a split, although I do not know how far that will get as the Wikipedia article on the species seems to suggest that the degree of genetic difference between the two races is insufficient to support a split.

Having said that I wouldn't be at all surprised if a number of British listers don't start clamouring for the split so that they can claim an armchair tick!

I'll hopefully get up to Norfolk in the next couple of weeks for a look - always good to have seen it for insurance purposes! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...