Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island v Croydon Athletic

On paper we should smash them. However, since their takeover at the start of the year they have made massive improvements, and will be well up for getting a result. They'll want the three points big time as they fight for survival, we need to go out there and make sure we want them more. Any complaceny because of their league position could see us dropping home points, which we can't afford to do if we want to keep the playoff dream alive.

They pushed Kingstonian right to the end on Sunday and should have got something from the game from what I've read, with Kingstonian's equaliser from former-Gull Joe Dolan just before half time questionnable as to whether it crossed the line. Shabazz Baidoo looks like a player we need to watch out for - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabazz_Baidoo

I'm gonna go for a 3-1 win for the mighty Gulls, with Danny Heale, Alex Rhodes, and Matt Game popping up with his first goal for the club.

An early goal would settle the nerves and if we get it I will go for a 4-1 win with Healesy, Dobbo, Jay and Easterford getting the goals, attendance will be about 245. If we dont get the early goal I reckon we will come away with a 1-0 win with Jay scoring late on!!!! I hope I am wrong about the latter!!!

Jager on the attendance TGE

An early goal would settle the nerves and if we get it I will go for a 4-1 win with Healesy, Dobbo, Jay and Easterford getting the goals, attendance will be about 245. If we dont get the early goal I reckon we will come away with a 1-0 win with Jay scoring late on!!!! I hope I am wrong about the latter!!!

No easy games in this league as we well know. TGE is right, Croydon have improved over recent weeks and have been unlucky not pick up more points. They played well in defeat at Kingstonian on Sunday, although the K's seem to be a shadow of the side they were pre xmas.

As long as we continue to play how we have other the last 3 weeks we should be ok.

Im going 2 nil, Curran and Moore with the goals, attendance 267

Tough call with the attendance. When you consider that Lowestoft and Sutton at home on Tuesday nights were 247 and 249 respectively, you'd think there would be less for Croydon. However, both of these were when things were a lot colder, and the weather for Tuesday looks good. Plus we're on the back of a winning streak, lots of variables to be considered!

All in all, as there's no Premier League or Champions League football on, and with the positive feeling around The Brockwell recently, I'm going to raise your 245 and go....

HIGHER!

My initial thought was 235 after going through the Tuesday night games but slightly upped it because of our recent results. Your theory is very good and I see your point, but its still early February and money is short so I am happy with that figure although I would love to pay the debt!!!!

Canvey 3-0 Croydon. Heale, Rhodes and Gordon with the goals.

Would be happy with an attendance around the 250 mark especially as Croydon are not likely to bring much in the way of travelling support.

Edited by YELLOW

Attendance will be one short with me not being there but i reckon Canvey 2-1 Heale and King pen - att 284

Good to see you on the forum Dan, hope you enjoyed your first trip to the Brockwell!

Talking of an early goal they seem to be a much better first half team, since 19th oct they havent drawn and have won 4 and lost 14 scored 20 and let in 51 but in the first half have scored 12 and let in 19 and in the second half scored 8 and let in 39 i think if we are patient we will win 5-1 with att 236, as long as they dont end up with 8 players and start hitting kids because at 48 im a bit old to front up with ryman league players but you have to do what you have to do im sure all those with kids will understand.

I hope your lad was okay the other day haynab66, that bloke was a top class t*sser!

yes thanks he can look after himself, he was just upset he left his mobile at home because he would of had castle views year 10 waiting outside for him and what annoyed me was the little moron wasnt sorry unless he was unaware or brainless, i dont think he should be playing at this level maybe he thought it was a sunday morning game that whole situation could have got really nasty that player needs to wise up before he has a real problem somewhere

Well, as was mentioned previously, they were certainly no mugs! At 3-0 we were cruising, but their goal immediately after our third must have knocked us a bit. Had that not gone in we could have gone on to win by 5 or 6. The next goal after half time was always going to be important, and it was a silly penalty to give away. Jay had plenty of chances to restore the 2 goal lead, and the one he managed to miss from 2 yards out was among the worst misses I've seen! However, his general play in getting in behind the defence was very good, it's just a shame that one didn't hit the net.

Their number 9 (Shabazz Baidoo) and 11 (Tom Bolarinwa) both looked excellent players, with Bolarinwa being exactly that type of pacy right winger that was mentioned in previous posts. Saying that, Rob King had yet another excellent game tonight taking his tally to 16 for the season!! I wonder what odds you'd have got on Kingy hitting 20+ goals this season?!?! Also great to see that Healesy is scoring regularly once again, his performance was superb and capped with a well taken goal.

Some good banter with their numbers 2 and 15 and with their manager, they were a decent bunch. After seeing a lot of the sides near the bottom recently, I fancy Croydon and Aveley to beat the drop, with Hastings, Horsham, Folkestone, and Maidstone going down.

Overall, we made this harder work than it needed to be, but 5 in a row has put us in a great position going into two very tough away games.

First things first...we got the 3 points to continue our excellent current form! Was a lot more nerve racking than it needed to be but hey, 5 goals in total & 3 points for our mighty yellows all for a tenner!! I'll take that every time, not sure my ticker will though :).

All credit must go to Croydon though for making it interesting. They are definitely not a bottom 6 team but any team that find themselves 3-0 after half Hour regardless of league position must be wondering why they bothered to turn up. As nervous as I was in that second half I actually enjoyed watching Croydon play.

As TGE has mentioned, there no.9 & no.11 were a real handful, quick, strong & very skillfull who caused us problems all night but our boys to their credit stuck to their jobs, special mention to Dumas who I thought was brilliant, a close runner up to Matty Game for MOTM. Who got that by the way?

Good result in the end & another victory which will add to the confidence both on & off the pitch.

Tough call with the attendance. When you consider that Lowestoft and Sutton at home on Tuesday nights were 247 and 249 respectively, you'd think there would be less for Croydon. However, both of these were when things were a lot colder, and the weather for Tuesday looks good. Plus we're on the back of a winning streak, lots of variables to be considered!

All in all, as there's no Premier League or Champions League football on, and with the positive feeling around The Brockwell recently, I'm going to raise your 245 and go....

HIGHER!

http://t2.gstatic.co...U3s6djeLRXTWbVA

Edited by The Gaffer from the Rock

Well another 3 points in the bag and that makes it 5 league wins on the spin.

Only one side in it for the first 35 mins, we knocked the ball about well and scored 3 excellent goals.

As tends to happen in these situation the team dropped a gear or 2 and let Croydon in with a sloppy goal just before HT.

Croydon gave there all in the 2nd half and were rewarded with a second goal from the pen spot. We continued to make lots of chances and on another night could have had 3 or 4 more.

I thought Croydon were better then there league position suggest, i can see them picking up point over the coming weeks.

We now face 2 very tricky away trips starting with Wealdstone on Saturday.

COYY