Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

WARM UP OR WORN OUT

behindthegoal

Having got to the Club early for the "unofficial" forum and not seeing anyone looking like they wanted a debate (did it happen in the Plough after all?)I had my couple of 1664s and wandered out for a burger (and hot this week) chips.

This allowed me to watch in the full the mini training session that took place for both sides and even for all 4 match officials! You know the stuff lots of exercises, running, one touch games of football etc.

As I scoffed the nosh I could not help seeing our lads puffing and blowing as they went through the 35 minute routine. Leigh looked to be doing the same.

Now I don't want to sound too old, but it was not long ago that the both teams ran out at 5 to 3 and played the match after having a few shots at goal to warm up for the forwards and a couple of passes to the mascot for the others.

Now it must be good for players to properly warm up, stretch etc and indeed these days warm down, but I question the amount of energy that they are expending prior to the match given the amount of work now done in the warm up.

I wonder if it would be worth trying a much shorter routine one week just to get the players loose and focused on the match, but effectively keep the lads fresh and let the other side work there nuts off for 35 minutes.

Just a thought, 'cause it seems to me that we, along with most teams, are basically playing 3 halves every match at the moment.

ps Lets have a bit of first half drumming please v Exeter.

It does not get you nackered for the match, i used to think this! But i gained some valuable experience touring in canada, and it does not get you nackered(although ours was probably not as vigourous) but still lasted 30 mins. It helps your body prepare for the game ahead, but also gets you prepared very mentally which is essential. It gets essential glucose and oxyen(for respiration) going to your muscles instead of other areas, and the longer warm up stops you respiring anerobically, which creates lactic acid(cramp). sorry to go all scientific, lol, and i dont even know if thats 100% correct!