Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Sewer Rats v Canvey Island

Just gonna put my bit in now, doomz and rhodes has worked better than any other partnership we've had for two seasons in any area of the pitch, why change it, adapt the team if changes needed to be made to suit that, it works and has all season, it is our most potent weapon.

Concord one of the poorest teams we've played all season ha ha they played better than we did for 45 minutes and took the chance that mattered the most, you're not a poor team with the money they spend!!!!

was their effort that rusty saved over the line???? he tells me that it wasn't i believe him.

was their goal off side, i've had fans from both sides tell me it was, thats football though and thats why we love it so much!!

it wasn't a great FOOTBALL match but neither team wanted to lose and i think that was evident in the displays from both sides!

it saddens me that the concord players had to sing their SONG cos none of the fans??? did, maybe they will in time get a following that really does SUPPORT the team??

Yellow army, we were fantastic again, lets see if we can keep it up all season now!!!

This game reminded me a bit of the Billericay game earlier in the season at their place. They took their chance, we didn't but both teams cancelled each other out then and defences were very much on top.

Firstly, congratulations to Concord. Two evenly matched teams put on a good show for those in attendance and either side could have gone away with the three points. It happened to be them, but I don't think we let ourselves down by losing. As for any suggestion of Concord being one of the worst teams we've played, I'd say that they were better than Maidstone, Folkestone, Aveley, Hastings, Horsham, Margate, Hendon, Carshalton, AFC Hornchurch, Cray Wanderers in their performances against us this season, so I think that's a bit wide of the mark in my opinion.

Despite the defeat I enjoyed the occasion last night, and the match did have a proper derby feeling to it. It hurt to lose to a goal so late in the game, but this isn't the first time we've lost a derby match and it certainly won't be the last!

Hindsight is a great thing, but I have to say that we looked much better in the second half with Dumas at left back and Rhodesy at left mid. Whether this was enforced or not is up for debate, but I don't think many would disagree that they were best side in the first half and we were the better in the second with Leon right mid and Jay up top, plus the other mentioned changes.

Both teams had chances to score before the goal went in, and perhaps Concord already did....still, the lino made up for missing that one by allowing the offside goal (so I've been told!)

The Yellow Army were tremendous and really did give the game the derby atmosphere. Pleased to see a big crowd too - maybe there is life in this island yet!

The Concord players singing on the pitch afterwards made me smile! Fair play to them, they won the game and deserved to enjoy it, although I didn't realise they'd just won the Champions League :smilewinkgrin:

All in all it was a good advert for Canvey and Ryman Premier League football, with plenty of drama and passion thrown in for good measure. Let's hope we avenge this defeat at The Brockwell later in the season so that we can have a little song and dance of our own!

Well done mate :applaus: Perfectly summed up !

The players love that song, The only other time they have done that(outside the dressing room) was when we won the Senior league and the Play-off !

I think having time to reflect there was nothing in it and both teams defended very well !

Having now had time to reflect on the game and the occasion, if Concord are serious about being a big club and have aspirations to go further then one thing they must change is........

The f*****g brandy they have in the main bar, Three poxy Barrels!!!!!!! Any self respecting club would always have Courvoisier!!!

Thats brilliant but I thought it was a 3pm kick-off!!! I was trying to do the same but as I am a proper div, I couldn't quite do it!!!

Edited by The Great Eckscape

My biggest concern of the night though was that we undid ourselves by not starting players in their strongest positions. It's a DERBY! Not having Rhodes play on the left until the second half made us very narrow during the opening 45 and having a left-footed striker on the right wing didn't help either. Perhaps Hallett did something during the warm-up which meant Westy had to come in at left-back wearing no. 9? We had three strikers on the bench: Leon, Hallett and Ellis. To not include at least one of them in the starting XI so the team was balanced is shocking to be honest and the fact that it took till half-time to get it right. Last time we played players that much out of position was against Heybridge in the League Cup and back then we were punished with a late goal. :wall:

Having an unbalanced side meant we created zero chances on target during the first half and had nothing coming into the box from the high up the wings. Curran kept cutting inside to have the ball on his left and the crosses coming from the left were coming from deep and easily dealt with. Because of this Concord had the better of the first half, although our defence did well as if I recall correctly Concord didn't have their first corner until well into the second half.

Second half we were the better side, but failed to cut it once inside the penalty area. Rhodes was at his natural best bombing down the left, Leon was doing the same down the right and we played wider and more fluid. Kingy and Gameo were getting forward and we started to look dangerous as Brightly started to look more nervy. dance%20%282%29.gifdance%20%282%29.gifdance%20%282%29.gifAlex was really unlucky to hit the inside of the post, an inch to the right and that was in the bottom corner. Our "goal" was rightly given offside, although I thought Leon would've taken it all the way. If I'm perfectly honest I feel a lot more confident of him putting it away when one on one than Curran anyway.

The Concord Management also taught our bench how to effectively use substitutions, making several changes to introduce fresh legs throughout the second half, not wait until you're losing in stoppage time to throw on the two you've got left cause you've only made one so far and that was at half-time! :doh:

This has got to be the biggest load off BOL^OX I have ever read in my life, clearly not based on knowledge, out of context and bang out of order! Yet again complete lack of understanding about the abilities of our players and the options open to our management! As I have said before Matt because you are good at playing championship manager dont mean you understand real life footbal.

I think that Matt has made some valid points, I don't agree with every one of them but in the main the points he made were proven in the second half. As I've said previously, whether the decisions made were enforced or not is another matter...

My biggest concern of the night though was that we undid ourselves by not starting players in their strongest positions. It's a DERBY! Not having Rhodes play on the left until the second half made us very narrow during the opening 45 and having a left-footed striker on the right wing didn't help either. Perhaps Hallett did something during the warm-up which meant Westy had to come in at left-back wearing no. 9? We had three strikers on the bench: Leon, Hallett and Ellis. To not include at least one of them in the starting XI so the team was balanced is shocking to be honest and the fact that it took till half-time to get it right. Last time we played players that much out of position was against Heybridge in the League Cup and back then we were punished with a late goal. :wall:

Having an unbalanced side meant we created zero chances on target during the first half and had nothing coming into the box from the high up the wings. Curran kept cutting inside to have the ball on his left and the crosses coming from the left were coming from deep and easily dealt with. Because of this Concord had the better of the first half, although our defence did well as if I recall correctly Concord didn't have their first corner until well into the second half.

Second half we were the better side, but failed to cut it once inside the penalty area. Rhodes was at his natural best bombing down the left, Leon was doing the same down the right and we played wider and more fluid. Kingy and Gameo were getting forward and we started to look dangerous as Brightly started to look more nervy. dance%20%282%29.gifdance%20%282%29.gifdance%20%282%29.gifAlex was really unlucky to hit the inside of the post, an inch to the right and that was in the bottom corner. Our "goal" was rightly given offside, although I thought Leon would've taken it all the way. If I'm perfectly honest I feel a lot more confident of him putting it away when one on one than Curran anyway.

The Concord Management also taught our bench how to effectively use substitutions, making several changes to introduce fresh legs throughout the second half, not wait until you're losing in stoppage time to throw on the two you've got left cause you've only made one so far and that was at half-time! :doh:

This has got to be the biggest load off BOL^OX I have ever read in my life, clearly not based on knowledge, out of context and bang out of order! Yet again complete lack of understanding about the abilities of our players and the options open to our management! As I have said before Matt because you are good at playing championship manager dont mean you understand real life footbal.

Ah. NOB. I wondered how long it would take you to start.

Now, now, we don't want to be accused of bullying.

This forum is all about opinions and if MOB or anyone else thinks my posts are crap then fair enough. But although my posts maybe crap at least they're football related.