Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Mervyn Pocock RIP

Ian_W

Very sad to hear the passing of Mervyn Pocock.

You would not be reading this message had it not been for Mervyn.

It was he that contacted me in 1998 and suggested I host a page on a Canvey website for Canvey Island FC.

That then led to CanveyFC.Com, which had a forum on it.

That forum, then became Below Sea Level, which became isthmian.com which led to the site you see today.

Mervyn was a good friend and someone who I personally will miss as a fellow webmaster to CanveyFC.Com along with Matt.

He was also headmaster of Wyburns Primary School until his retirement last year. He loved his caravanning and would often spend long periods of the summer in France at Chef-Boutonne as well as weeks away here in the UK.

Latterly he had become involved with IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) and was the treasurer for the Chelmsford branch.

My thoughts go to Ruby his wife and their family and friends and of course Matt his grandson.

RIP Merv

41489_643203784_2800_n.jpg

Mervyn's funeral will be on Wednesday 20th April at Pitsea Crematorium at 3:20pm. Donations are requested to Macmillan Cancer Support. Club colours are welcome.

Very sad to hear this news. I know he had been ill for several months but still a real shock.

RIP Merv.

Merv was a really lovely guy who taught me to pass my advance driving test. We often spoke about Canvey Fc and I could hear his great passion for the club and the fans. He will be sorely missed. My condolences to his family.

RIP Merv

Very very sad news indeed.

The club will and will be honouring Merv at our next home game against AFC Hornchurch on Saturday 16th April with a minute's silence before kick off.

RIP

Sadly I will be away then but my thoughts will be there at 3pm.

Thank you everyone for your messages, both on here and Facebook.

Naturally we're all still in shock at how quickly Merv passed away after being told less than 24 hours before that there was nothing more that could be done for him. In the end I suppose it should have been expected from someone who didn't want to make himself a burden upon others.

For those who may be interested, Merv's funeral will be held at Pitsea Crem on 20th April at 3:20pm. Club colours are encouraged.

Matt - is it flowers or are donations being made to any particular charity?

Donations to Macmillan Cancer Support, please. :applaus:

R.I.P Merv

• 3 weeks later...

We missed the passing of Merv and feel a loss at the passing of such a straight man who was prepared to stand up and be counted when called

Merv was among the original contributors who made this forum the very best in non-league

Simply a lovely bright intelligent complete man

RIP Merv