Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Good Result Tonight

GaryFB

Couldn't make tonight's game so have been following the game on Sky Sports and the BBC website. Was sorry to see us go a goal down and then lose Miller to a sending off, glad to see Drury equalise only to see Elding put Westleyvenage ahead again. Bloody over the moon to see Matt Lee get the equaliser for us.

Things certainly appear to be looking up now, roll on Saturday and another good performance against Hereford (Another game I can't make)

Well done lads!!

Yeah!!!! likewise watched Sky sports,another nailbiting session.

Great result well done lads,I guess Fordy must be feeling a little relieved at the moment,with some real gutsy performances which show a lot of character,and obviously it'll work wonders for the teams confidence.

The fighting spirit is beginning to come through at last,let's keep it going at Hereford.

Couldnt really see what happened with Miller but apparently it was a bit of play acting which Stevenage seem to be good at some of the fouls were blatant dives and the first goal should have been disallowed the Stevenage player brought it down off his arm. But a very entertaining match with so many highs and lows Robs goal has to be goal of the season so far.

I think you mean Matt's goal !!

I've just read the BBC Teletext report - apparently, Drury's equaliser was fired home from 25 yards ( excuse mee, but it was more like 5 yards, following excellent work and cross from the left by Walshe (please let us keep him longer than a month, QPR!!).

Then, it suggests Eldings 2nd goal for Stevenage was a "low shot" - did my eyes deceieve me, because it looked very much like a lob to me !!)

And Lee simply "fired home a loose ball" - well, yes, I suppose he did, but boy did he fire it home - a sweeter struck volley you couldnt wish to see.

Was the guy really at the game, one wonders ???

A real battling performance, especially after Miller's sending off. And an excellent change by Andy - Drury scores with his first touch, then wins the free kick, and indeed takes the free kick, from which Matt equalised for a second time.

Quite what happened with Miller, I didnt see, but the ref seemed to be suggesting he'd kicked out at someone?

It really looked as though it was something and nothing and one can only wonder if the video caught what happened to allow Andy the chance to review it and, if relevant, appeal.

The ref had a patchy game - to be fair, he wasnt one of the worst we have seen, but how he failed to speak to the guy who almost took Matt's legs off early in the game, let alone book him (or even send him off), goodness only knows. Yet 2 minutes later, Matt bodychecked their guy - nowhere near as bad a foul as the one on him, yet he immediately received a yellow card.

Couldnt help but laugh at seeing Elding getting booked for his ridiculously over the top goal celebration - what was he thinking off, running half way round the pitch without his shirt, then dancing in front of the fans as he did ? It was good to get the last laugh there with Matt's superb equaliser.

Defensively we were very sound and organised - I can only recall Wilko having 2 saves to make other than the 2 goals. Did anyone else notice how he made a point of celebrating towards the Stevenage fans on the half way line at the end, then pointedly gesturing towards us Fleet fans, as if to say - "see thats what I've got behind me now"

"With four minutes of injury time stolen from another game and added onto the Broadhall Way match, Gary Holloway appeared to tug at Drury's shirt as he charged for the area. The referee looked to turn away without interest until Drury kicked up a fuss and won the free-kick. From the delivery, Boro's defence was in all sorts of trouble and left an unmarked Matt Lee to drill home from the edge of the area."

It seems irony isn't dead in Hertfordshire

If the Fleet had come away with nothing from this game, it would have been an utter travesty. You could see their fight & their passion tonight. Things are on the up alright.Something else was pointed out to me, as well. The 'Ford out' chants have been replaced with 'Gravesend 'til I die' and rightly so; superb support tonight, superb team performance and I wouldn't be surprised if we gave Hereford a run for their money on Saturday. Oh, and I believe Margit lost too. Now no-one likes to see that..........

Good summary Alan W.

Yep, I too noticed Wilko's gesture to their fan's and got the same impression also. I think all the lads appreciated the great support tonight. The couple of hundred Fleet fan's definitely showed the other 1400 or so Stevenage mob the way to go! Why can't it be the same at every home game???

Wasn't most of the added time due their over-the-top play acting!?!?

Ben Walshe showed his class again especially with that superb run and cross for Drury's equaliser. What will it take to extend his loan?

Well done lads, great effort tonight and a point was the least we deserved... The team is looking good and those few hundred fans who have stayed away have missed some pretty good games recently.

Look out Hereford!!

there second goal was a yard offside even their fans sat next to me by the half way line agreed

and i think the video replay will show that it was the stevenage player who actually kicked out so should be O K to appeal against this one

well done lads sorry i cant go on sat but the wife has booked me a cruise round the med for me birthday so lets hope we have 6 more points by the time i get back

AWAY THE REDS UP THE SHRIMP!

Their match reports suggestv that Miller was sent off for standing on Elding's hand while he was on the ground. The ref seemed to make a kicking out gesture though, so who knows? Mind you, even one of the messages on the Stevenage boards suggest that it was only (and I quote) Elding's girlie whinging that got Miller sent off.

One poster on their boards even had the nerve to suggest we were "a bunch of thugs like last year" !! We had 2 booked tonight - they had 4 (and it should have been 5 with that tackle on Matt Lee going unpunished). In the season as a whole we have had 13 booked - they have had 19. (Mind you, to be fair, we have had 4 sent off while they have only had 1). The poster even suggested we wouldnt progress unless we got rid of Ford - all very well assessing your own club, but commenting on other situations? Wholly unreasonable.

Given the fact that the first goal had a blatant handball in the build up (two yards from the ref who was looking straight at it!) and the second goal was offside (couldn't really see it to judge from up the other end) plus the sending off, we fully deserved to take something from the game.

Noise, singing and drumming was excellent.

Goal celebration was the most OTT I have ever seen, I mean, it's wasn't the World Cup Final, it was 10 men Fleet at home but Matt Lee made up for it with his ironic shirt off celebration after the second equaliser.

Wilko at the end was pure class in his celebrations as well.

I got the impression that Stevenage actually think that they are a bit better and biger than they actually are. What was the music after their goals all about? We battled hard and knocked them down a peg or two.

Only downer was standing on Stevenage platform waiting over 40 minutes for a train back. Grr. If it stayed 11 vs 11, we might have taken it but a point in the circumstances was thoroughly deserved.

Well done lads!

Excellent result last night given the circumstances. Don’t think Miller is a dirty player and hopefully if he did nothing it will be rescinded. Thoroughly entertaining match with 2 different football styles… fast attacking play and slower build ups….. Thought we had great support tonight, away games generally produce 200 of us and we always give it our all..... half way line and goal standers all together... great..... My MOTM was going to Lee before he scored his goal anyway and that just confirmed what a good night he had.... Wilko great in goal, shearer and co at the back awesome.... Pinnock holds the ball so well - you can see his midfield routes from the way he gets back to help excellent - Rob Owen has made such a name for himself this season that he has games that good every week now!! Up the fleet, the corner has been turned....

Agree with everything posted, great result, great fighting spirit, great team work.

I personally though Rob Owen was MOM, but difficult to single out anyone player.

Lovely reaction from the players at the end, and Wilko's gesture to the Stevenage fans was pure class, nothing obscene but his actiosn spoke volumes. well done big man.especially as they had been giving him a hard time during the second half.

Good to see Andy Drury fit again and the goal will settle him down, and although Matt does not score many goals, last nights was a great crack and I doubt many keepers would have stopped it.

Role on Saturday.

Andy's comments to Chas suggested he felt there wasnt anything malicious in Miller's sending off incident, although he was obviously going to view the video before deciding his course of action.

The fact the ref suggested that he had kicked out, when based on other comments he supposedly stamped on Elding's hand, and the fact that it was suggested by a Stevenage fan that Elding had in fact kicked out at Miller, rather makes it look like the ef got it wrong ( and had he sent Elding off, he wouldnt have been on the pitch to score the second goal). Still, we await developments.

From where I was sitting near the half way line Adam Miller got into a tangle with Elding and appeared to have "stepped" on his hand/arm as he disengaged, appearing to walk backwards from the incident. There was no malice and it was not a stamp. Elding - to use a professional wrestling term - "sold" the contact to the referee after lashing out himself at Miller. Miller was astounded and so was Andy and the GNFC bench who were no more than 10 feet from the "incident". Elding should be ashamed of himself.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, this was only Adam's second game in the Conference EVER. We all know that the referees in this league give bizarre decisions most of the time and now Adam knows too. Sadly, a lesson learned the hard way.

After having two half decent refs in our last couple of games, it was back to earth with a hefty bump last night. I didn't catch the Miller incident so can't comment but hopefully we will have a case for appeal.

Man of the Match. Hmm.. When I got home I immediately went to vote for Robby Owen but then looked at the team selection. Matt Lee was excellent; Shearer & Moore were immense and I reckon could now be the first-choice pairing for the middle. Gradley worked his socks off and was involved in everything in the first-half, although he tired later; Walshe was class, Rob was battling for, and often winning, everything and anything, my man of the season so far; Pinnock was twisting and turning all over the shop and though he didn't contribute too much, Haworth made a big enough pain in the backside of himself to keep the defence occupied; Wilko was Wilko and we love him; Miller was good up to his sending off (not too good after it!); Eddie worked hard but I felt lost the ball too easily and was turned on more than one occaision, but he also did his fair share; Drury made a suitable impact, scoring with what I believe was his first kick of the game and winning the free-kick from which Matt's goal came.

So, MOTM. Well, in the end I gave it to Owen but only just. Almost the whole team could have got it. What a wonderful thing to be able to say.