Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

THE OFFICIAL HISTORY OF HORNCHURCH FC

Dagger03

THE OFFICIAL HISTORY OF HORNCHURCH FC

This is now ready for publication.

It can be published in book form, or in disc form.

The price is likely to be £10 for a book (subject to sufficient demand as printing costs are very high).

A disc will be in the region of £6.

Which do you prefer?

If it is book form, we can only publish some of the history, as it would be far too expensive to produce everything in book form.

We can get everything onto one disc, in Adobe (PDF) format - Adobe is a free download, so this means that anyone who buys the disc will be able to read it.

The OFFICIAL HISTORY comprise the following

THE OFFICIAL HISTORY OF HORNCHURCH FC - 1923 to 2011

HFC HISTORY

Introduction – why this history has been produced.

From a Chairman’s prospective – Colin McBride sets out his thoughts on his experiences at Hornchurch, both as manager and as chairman.

In the Beginning – Hornchurch FC – A team existed in Hornchurch from 1881 to 1885.

Upminster Wanderers – 1923 to 1938 – the history of the Upminster Wanderers from the time they were originally formed as a junior club.

Upminster FC – 1938 to 1938 – the history of Upminster FC from the time they joined the Spartan League until the outbreak of war.

Upminster FC – the War Years – the history of Upminster FC when they played in local leagues for the duration of the war.

Upminster FC – Post War – the history of Upminster FC post war when they rejoined the Spartan League.

Hornchurch & Upminster – The club changed its name, moved to the Bridge, and progressed through the Delphian League and into the Athenian League.

Hornchurch FC – This section covers the period when Hornchurch progressed into the Isthmian League, until the period of the ‘doldrums’ when they nearly went out of business.

Hornchurch Football Club Ltd – How HFC Ltd came into being.

The ‘Karl’ Years – This section covers the roller coaster ride into the Conference South and the subsequent financial difficulties, culminating in the liquidation of the club.

AFC Hornchurch – The club starts again from the Essex Senior League and regains its Isthmian League place.

All Things Pass – the departure of Karl and Jennie.

New Dawn – The club changes hands again and Colin McBride is at the helm.

Review of 2010-11 – A detailed review of the 2010 season by Peter Butcher.

Del Edkins – A brief appreciation of current president, Del Edkins.

A Mad Day in May – Max gives us his own version of what happened on the day when Hornchurch had to play two matches at the same time at two different venues.

Jim Bradshaw – an appreciation of Jim Bradshaw, by Ray Stainer.

64 Years at Hornchurch – Ray Stainer outlines his own thoughts on his 64 years at one club.

‘ARRY – An appreciation of Hornchurch’s number one supporter, as told by Max.

The George Burchell Collection – What happened to George Burchell’s collection of memorabilia.

The Bridge – a brief history of the Bridge.

LINE UPS

This section lists the line ups in season order of all first team matches from its formation in 1923. Not all of the pre-war line ups are known, but all line ups are known from 1946 onwards.

PLAYERS’ APPEARANCES

An A to Z summary which lists all players’ appearances. There are over 1500 players and everyone is included.

The following items will be included on disc only, as otherwise the book would be too expensive to produce –

Leading appearances and goalscorers – everyone who has played in 150 matches and / or has scored more than 50 goals.

Internationals – players and managers of Hornchurch FC who have international honours.

Detailed summaries of players appearances and goals – this lists every player and gives an individual summary for each player.

Season by season summary – for each season there is a record of players’ appearances and goals.

Connections – this section lists some 850 players and, who they have played for, and where the have played after leaving HFC.

Pre-season – A record of pre-season and other friendlies from 1960 – prior to this date pre-season matches against other clubs was not permitted.

League Tables – all league tables from 1925

Line ups in A to Z order.

Capital League line us and results (this is incomplete for some seasons).

-

As requested I will put a link to this post on the AFCH website but if you want feedback from non-forum users you really need an email address.

Dagsy, I have replied to every single email you have sent me so can't understand how you claim not to have received them. All three of my email addresses are working fine.

To elaborate slightly - we have approached three printers so far - the first one said he could do it, and then about a month later he increased his price substantially and then pulled out completely. (He uses MS Publisher and it could not cope with the line ups).

The second printer said he did not have the correct software to print the book. (He uses Quark and again it cannot cope with line ups).

The third printer has quoted £750 for one hundred books of 150 pages each - this would make the selling price a lot higher than I intended.

Hence I am inclined to produce everything on a disc, unless there are enough pre-orders to justify printing a book.

I'll have one whatever it is, though I'd prefer a physical book with disc included too

Agree,spoke to Colin Burford as well about it,he said a book with a disc as an add on would be better.

One question,I have always been interested in attendances,would these be included,how far back would they go and if not how do I get them??

I'll have a book/disc combo or whatever is available

Thanks for the feedback - keep them coming so that we can get a feel for the amount we can sell.

The intention is to produce a history, (obviously) and also to make as much money as we can for the football club. In this latter context, the book will be produced at no cost to the football club, so any sales represents one hundred percent profit to the football club.

I will speak to Fred Hawthron again today and ask him to discuss with the printer the possibility of a lower print run (to cut down on the £750 outlay for the book).

I think the way forward is a book plus a disc.

I cannot get everything into the book - the cost would simply be too great.

So - the history (narrative form) goes into the book.

The players summary will go into the book.

I will try and get the line ups into the book - this has proved to be the main drawback so far - I can produce the earlier line ups easily, but when you get five subs to add to the line ups, the print gets condensed, and two printers already have said they cannot do this.

Everything else would have to go onto the disc.

So far no photos - I have spoken to three photofraphers, all promised me something, but none came up with anything.

To answer your question Rob - I have virtually all the official attendance from the season 200001 onwards. Priot to this, I have only a handful of attendances.

HASBEEN - can you contact me please with your full name so that I can make sure you are included in the Connections section of the book - I need to know who you played for prior to HFC and who you subsequently played for.

This comment also applies to any ex-player who might read this - I can add to the connections pages right up until publishing date, and of course can add to the disc at any time.

If anyone wants to contact me please do it either by PM or by sending me an email to AFCHTM@HOTMAIL.CO.UK

I'd prefer a book

Seems as though it is going to be a book - I will ask Fred to speak to the printer on Monday (can't do it today as the printer closes at 3pm). I will aim at the lowest possible print run, in order to keep costs down, so it is important that I have some idea of how many are likely to be required.

I can easily get the narrative history into the book, and likewise can easily get the players' appearances into the book, and possibly the connections.

The rest will almost certainly have to go onto a disc.

The line ups is the main problem, simply because I have eighty seasons' line ups and they can only go onto a landscape layout - it might be better to produce two books, on with just the line ups in it.

The disc will contain everything, but it is impossible to include everything in a book and keep the cost to a reasonable level, as such a project would run to around 400 pages.

Biased Bob - the only mention of supporters is Harry Martin, as Max has sent me an appreciation of Harry Martin, and I feel it must be included in both the book and on the disc - if anyone has any decent photo of Harry, or of any of the players, I can include these also on the disc (but not in the book, due to the cost of printing in colour).

And thanks to John Wheeler, who today supplied me with some more information to include in the narrative.

There is still time to include other features, esecially on the disc - I have so far got approx 850 player connections (ie players who have played for other clubs before and after playing for HFC), and it is this section which I would very much like to enlarge, as there are over 1500 players who have played for HFC since 1923, so there is plenty of room for additional information.