Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

HORNCHURCH 1 ENFIELD TOWN 2

Dagger03

Thursday 18-August-2011 – Capital League

HORNCHURCH 1 ENFIELD TOWN 2

HFC – Sid Miller – Bob Moorton – Billy Cahill – Joe Bilton © - Simon Sutton – Elliot Vile – Lee Thompson – Ed O’Neill – Sam Bantick (Lew Moore 75) – Jonathan Smith (Joe Scott 55) – Ryan Smith (Billy Pearce 73)

ET – Charlie Crawley © - Daniel Laurent – Rhys Hunt – Aandrew Faion – Ciaran Dolan – Cem Aytec – Kieron Pearce (Darren Sarpung 65) – Scott Hayes – Jamie Smyth – Connor Bolton – Izgi Erku (Fraz Kashmiri 85)

Scorers – Hayes 54 (E) – Billy Pearce 90+1 (H) – Smyth 90+3 (E)

Bookings – none

Officials – D Axcell with N Burston and J Mott

Attendance 51

Duration – 45.00 + 49.00

Weather – overcast after heavy rain, 18 degrees, wind speed 10 mph

Just three months after resigning from the Capital League, Hornchurch opened their competitive season with a Capital League match against Enfield Town. Thirty minutes before the start, heavy rain and a thunderstorm left the pitch under water, which necessitated a pitch inspection. The match went ahead, but just how much damage has been done to the pitch, which had £7,000 spent on it during the close season?

Hornchurch kicked towards a very soggy windmill end in the first half, and only an excellent display from visiting keeper Charlie Crawley kept them out, when he saved goal bound shots from Lee Thompson and Sam Bentick and a header from Elliot Vile

Enfield struggled to get into the game as an attacking force, though Sid Miller did well to save from Jamie Smyth and Scott Hayes. Rhys Hunt tackled to keep Lee Thompson out when he threatened to break through the defence, and Enfield slowly grew in confidence against an eager home side, which consisted of the majority of last season’s youth team.

A goalless first half however left the pitch in a very waterlogged state, but in the second half Enfield began to take control of the midfield, and they took the lead when SCOTT HAYES was first to react after Sid Miller had initially saved from JAMIE SMYTH.

For a time play was confined to midfield, but the introduction of Lew Moore and Billy Pearce allowed Hornchurch to regain the ascendency. Billy Cahill swerved a shot narrowly wide, and two dangerous free kicks from Sam Bantick curved around the far post. In the first minute of stoppage time a Hornchurch attack was thwarted when Sam Bentick was pulled back when going for goal. Referee Dave Axcell awarded a free kick just outside the area, and BILLY PEARCE stepped up to fire the ball around the wall and into the net. Hornchurch came forward strongly, searching for the winning goal, but it was the visitors who scored, when, in the third minute of stoppage time, JAMIE SMYTH fired home with a spectacular first time volley from 35 yards.

Sounds like a good workout for the young lads.

I didn't go down there as to be honest,with the rain I didn't expect the game to go ahead,thought for a reserve team fixture that it wouldn't be worth any damage to the pitch,although I am sure with a bit of TLC it will be ok

The Enfield Town 'keeper was Charlie Crowley, 4 was Andrew Folon, the sub at 65 mins was Darren Sarpong and 11 was Izci Eren. Jamie Smyth got both of Town's goals. His second was from the edge of the penalty area (I'll have to check my photo to see if it was inside or out of the area).

Apart from Izci Eren and Darren Sarpong, all the ETFC players were this season's U18s. I think they are all young enough to be next season's U18s as well.

Hornchurch's goal was a stunner. It was a severe curler round the wall along the floor. It was better than the goal celebration!

I thought the pitch was very good and held up well. The rain stopped as soon as David Axcell blew his whistle.

Phil.

Thank you for the corrections - the line up as originally listed is was per the official Enfield Town team sheet. Hence the incorrect spellngs. It is unfortunately quite common for team sheets to be very badly written, and spelling mistakes inevitably follow.

Re-the scorer of the first goal - we heard the Enfield officials in the directors box saying it was Jamie Smith who scored. But we are confident that the scorer was Scott Hayes (the number eight).

Thank you for the corrections - the line up as originally listed is was per the official Enfield Town team sheet. Hence the incorrect spellngs. It is unfortunately quite common for team sheets to be very badly written, and spelling mistakes inevitably follow.

Re-the scorer of the first goal - we heard the Enfield officials in the directors box saying it was Jamie Smith who scored. But we are confident that the scorer was Scott Hayes (the number eight).

Mark's handwriting can be difficult to read at times!

The first goal was definitely Jamie Smyth. I got a photo of him striking the shot but it it out of focus, although not enough so that I can't see the number (see attached). I got it clearer in the back of the net.

Both Smyth and Scott Hayes were wearing boots with a lot of red in them so I can see how someone who doesn't know the players could get it wrong.

Photos from the game are now on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.co...fieldtown&s=rec

Phil.

post-86-0-23925300-1313922088_thumb.jpg